Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Prime Air AKA Amazon Drones AKA Amazon Octocopters

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Amazon Prime Air AKA Amazon Drones AKA Amazon Octocopters

I think this would be great!!
I can imagine - The router has packed in and I need a new one immediately, I log in and order a new one, its delivered in 30 minutes and nightmare is over!!
No more missed deliveries which is a plus as well!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25180906
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Amazon Prime Air AKA Amazon Drones AKA Amazon Octocopters

It got a mention here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,118918.msg1047837.html#msg1047837
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
RichAllen
Grafter

I cancelled my Amazon Prime account last week, not worth the £49 a year IMO (works out about £4 a month)
See my recent threads regarding late deliveries from Amazon even with the "1 day deliveries" advertised with the Prime service.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: NorthEasterner

Unless you live in a tower block of flats..
Personally I think they'd be better used in the amazon warehouse to help their own staff. Member of staff finds item, puts it on the octocopter which flies off and in the meantime another one arrives to replace it. Maybe then the workers will get a bit of a break.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
RichAllen
Grafter

Thing is as well, even with an unmanned Helicopter delivering my Amazon stuff, it would still get lost or arrive late, because my Flat in Sheffield doesn't show up on a Sat Nav, not even over 7 years since the Flats were built.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I can imagine - The router has packed in and I need a new one immediately, I log in and order a new one, its delivered in 30 minutes and nightmare is over!!
No more missed deliveries which is a plus as well!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25180906

Erm.... !!    if your router has packed in.......

how would you log in and order a new one ? ? ? ?    Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Dongle, mobile phone, mifi... even using an unsecured wifi hotspot from the car lol
DaveyH
Pro

Its years away and requires regulatory approval.
Though that wasn't the point of Bezos' announcement..
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH
Though that wasn't the point of Bezos' announcement..

I assume you're referring to the huge amount of publicity they gained from it?
DaveyH
Pro

Obviously. He got an whole hour of free marketing the night before cyber Monday, not to mention every news, tech site and blog on the planet running with the 'news'
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

indeed there not even sure it would be viable, so far they have requested permission to setup a mini service near some rather wealth deprived town in the Midwest to test the concept and see if its practical.
the massive media push that was free instead of costing amazon a few billion (hours of free coverage) definitely didn't hurt there sales plan this story could of been released 6 months earlier or later (when they first applied for permission to investigate the idea/when they will be ready to start there trial program)
I can only see a few problems with the concept, the mini uav's will be accident prone unless really high end 3d mapping is used, to create those maps will require a substantial investment in both money and time, then there are the sensors and how they will operate, nothing will be cheap in this program and even if it they manage to run the trial without any problems or accidents/incidents the regulators are unlikely to approve its roll out due to all the delivery jobs that would be lost, and there likely to be told to invest in a fleet of motorbike couriers to perform the job particularly in areas where there are few jobs and lots of people ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
kmilburn
Grafter

I think this article has a good take on it..
All you need is a largish bit of accessible open space that is your own property, airspace above in which the drone is allowed to fly, and some kind of infrastructure to boost the aircraft's GPS accuracy to the sub-metre range. This could be a beacon of your own, or a differential-GPS station quite far away, various other things.
And the real killer is that while some American homes do exist where a quadcopter either could deliver now - or anyway might be allowed to at some point relatively soon - very, very few such homes now lie within effective electric-quadcopter range of any sort of distribution warehouse, Amazon or not. Not many such homes can actually fit into the circle that such aircraft can reach from a given point, even if a warehouse was there - which it will not be, by definition, because not many people are living nearby.
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH

Its years away and requires regulatory approval.

Another interesting point here is do they need approval at all?
They may not be legal at the moment but is there any law specifically banning them from flying? - RC models have been allowed to fly for years without any permission required at all.
DaveyH
Pro

Yes, for commercial use they do.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

yes there are 45 laws banning them from being used, specifically RC flight is only permitted in open spaces in areas designated for it is the biggest one, not to mention all the FAA/CAA regulations on how large/powerful the device is and there's a bunch of regulations governing the controller signal range and all sorts of other stuff, and on top of all them there is some extra stuff about creating automated systems that will deprive people of a job when there is a willing and plentiful labour supply.....regulators will struggle to actually approve the current proposal even if safe systems are able to be proved in the fashion outlined by Amazon thus far,
oh and they even have it based regulations to prevent the creation of A.I. (that ones been about since the mid 80's)
and those regulations govern the ability of non commercial devices allowed to be used or sold
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you