cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Ban Wiki Leaks

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Amazon Ban Wiki Leaks

Can someone add to my limited knowledge ?
It has been reported that Amazon has banned Wiki Leaks on it's site but I thought Amazon was just an online seller and why would anyone need any info about Wiki leaks on Amazon ?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Amazon Ban Wiki Leaks

Perhaps they've got something to hide!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Actually I would of thought this one would have been obvious tbh.
With the amount of profiling that Amazon perform on its user base I suspect they've become a somewhat useful source to the USA intelligence services. I keep getting emails off them every day.
I recently bought a few films off them and now I keep getting hoards of similar films recommended to me. Now, you imagine how useful that could be for trying to work out a pshychological profile about a terror suspect? I suspect that at some point the Intel services used some quirky law to gain access to this sort of information. I suspect that theres also a reason why Yahoo and GMail now offer unlimited storage too. I suspect Amazon probably think they're implicated there somewhere and will loose a lot of trust and customers over this.
Facebook is the one which really worries me though. They're aggressively working out who knows who and how. I've got one inbox which has multiple email addresses linked to it and on at least 2 of those addresses I'm getting regular emails from unknown names inviting me to join. Then at the bottom is the "Other people you may know on facebook:". There is usually a list of 5 or 6 people I know including former bosses, family, msn contacts, yahoo contacts etc. Seriously creepy that they've got so many members that they're now able to work out who knows who and then chain them all together to potentially calculate who of those contacts may know your other contacts. Apparently I have to sign up and set my privacy options in order to stop them profiling me and I'm not even a member. Whatever happened to the Data Protection Act? Even if I stop the emails there is still not much stopping facebook continuing to work out who I know from other peoples contacts and address books.
Needless to say I've not joined facebook and I don't click any links or reply to their emails. That should at least keep my status as 'unconfirmed'.
I think I can confidently say that with the amount of data Facebook holds on people the Intelligence services are probably drooling at the unlimited amounts of profiling they can achieve.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
snozboz
Grafter

I would guess it's because WikiLeaks uses Amazon's Amazon Web Services (AWS) to host its site - nothing much to do with Amazon's shopping site, more a huge "cloud computing" service provider (basically lots and lots of servers with very wide connection to the internet). So Amazon can remove the WikiLeaks site from their servers, and because AWS is so big, a lot of people will not be able to see WikiLeaks anymore.  WikiLeaks will quickly move to other servers though, so the impact will be short-lived.
The political pressure in the USA against WikiLeaks, and companies who host it, is scary - so ignorant, anti-democratic, and vehement.  It's stories like this that make me realise how little I understand the USA: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/01/wikileaks-website-cables-servers-amazon  And how glad I am that I live in a country where our politicians fight over the centre ground, rather than divide and scare the populace over beliefs with no evidence-base.
I was interested to read this article about Julian Assange (the person behind wikileaks) and his philosophy: http://zunguzungu.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/julian-assange-and-the-computer-conspiracy-%E2%80%9Cto-de... (I think @bengoldacre linked to it on twitter).  I'm not sure I agree with it all, but it does seem that there may be some value in publicising leaked information indiscriminately - it keeps governments (and even corporations) honest, and helps prevent democracy sliding further away.  The other side of it, is I'm not convinced there aren't some circumstances where I want my government to be keeping secrets successfully.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That explains it perfectly to me.
I Didn't realise that WikiLeaks used Amazons Web Services to host it's site.
Thanks for the explination.