Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon 'Account suspension' email

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Amazon 'Account suspension' email

Just posted this on our local forums 'Scam Warning' topic and thought it might be worth repeating here, as it is very clever:

Note for any Amazon customers: I have just this afternoon received an email from 'accounts@amazon.co.uk' threatening to suspend my account if I didn't follow a link and update my details.

Fortunately, I never download these directly - they are all filtered through 'Mailwasher' first, so any suspicious ones get deleted direct from the server  -BUT- normally these are doubly easy to spot as the sending source is not what it claims, and MW highlights the discrepancy. However, somehow this spam used the correct domain in the sender field and it didn't get picked up.

Fortunately, they sent it to one of my old Tiscali addresses which I never used on Amazon anyway, so even though it wasn't 'flagged' I was suspicious, checked the full header and it actually originated from a 'br' - Brazilian - server - for Amazon.co.uk - really????

For info the actual sending address was 'account-update@amazon.co.uk'

John
10 REPLIES 10
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Re: Amazon 'Account suspension' email

It’s very easy to spoof an email sending address....

jab1
Seasoned Hero

I understand that, @Champnet , but this is the first time I've seen this happen. I've had this same spoof before, but usually MW has picked them up - never bothered looking into the source before, just deleted them  as they had been identified by the program.

Didn't matter, because when I was with Tiscali, you were only allowed one address, so all shopping was done via either Gmail or Yahoo, and the email forwarded to my 'normal' address for local retention.

John
G3WYP
Rising Star

That is interesting as I am getting 3 or 4 phone calls a day telling us our Amazon account is being suspended, even though I have never had an account. 

All the calls say they are from 0013 or 0014 numbers which obviously can be computer generated.

I suppose it makes a change from BT say my broadband is going to be disconnected.

Derek

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@G3WYP Possibly the breed of scammers that originated the email, but maybe not - the phone calls usually originate on the Indian sub-continent, the emails for some reason the Americas. In both cases, they are usually easy to spot and ignore, but obviously enough people fall for them.

John
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've always wondered if the farming out of many companies "helplines" to the cheapest foreign country and their probable lax security is behind many of these various scams.

Mind you when you see on some websites dozens and dozens of ebay, paypal, amazon, etc passwords it's already there for the taking.

Champnet
Champion

I often get emails advertising email packages, $100 for a million , $150 for a million - confirmed....

jab1
Seasoned Hero

The strange thing is, my PN email accounts have only received about a dozen spam messages in the nine years I've been here, and my Yahoo and Gmail accounts none - go figure, as the Yahoo one must be at least 15 years old.

John
Champnet
Champion

You're either very careful or just lucky......

jab1
Seasoned Hero

Very careful and lucky.Smiley Probably goes back to my experience when working, as we were all trained to be vigilant and careful when using the web, by our IT department.

i have always practised safe browsing, and have layers of protection on my system anyway.

John
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have a couple of dozen gmail accounts which I got long ago so all are short descriptive names. Probably as a result of that the few spam I get aren't exactly spam. They're just the first word that comes into someones head when they join a site.

So if I'm bored I mess the account up a bit. Change things, divert things. After my bit of fun the account owner usually  changes the email address.

I'm just surprised so many different sites don't seem to verify email addresses the usual way.