cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazing Bargains you have been fortunate enough to obtain...

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Amazing Bargains you have been fortunate enough to obtain...

My old Dyson vacuum cleaner still worked fine, but didn't quite pick up everything from carpet tiles anymore.
Dyson DC03 Vacuum £ 229.99 purchased 2001. With HEPA filters built in.
A bit of research with a ruler in my local Electrical Shop showed the brand new Dysons had exactly the same brush length as my 12 year old DC03.

On line, I discovered refurbished VAX U88-W1-P BAGLESS UPRIGHT VACUUM CLEANER 1600 WATTS 210 AIR WATTS £40
HEPA filters built in.
Next day delivery.

The Dyson was actually quite heavy for carrying up & down stairs.
The VAX is so much lighter, and with newer technology, and being refurbished did a better job.
A bit noisier though, but more powerful.
It is so brilliant, I purchased a second one, one for downstairs, one for upstairs.
However, the second VAX came without a retaining screw to fix the handle to the body of the VAX.
I rang the supplier, the lady sympathised, said they don't hold spare parts, and gave me.........
a 50% refund on the purchase price of £40.
So, my latest bargain, a superb lightweight VAX Vacuum for just £20.
I found a suitable screw in my box of bits !  Cool
I was dead chuffed.... Grin Grin

And your amazing bargain is....

5 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Amazing Bargains you have been fortunate enough to obtain...

Last week in ASDA Sensodyne was £4 each or two for £3. A bargain already. But Tesco were selling them at two for £5. ASDA's Price Guarantee compared the price of two individual  tubes (£Cool with Tesco's two tubes (£5) and refunded me the difference plus 10%. So for each tube that I "bought" ASDA paid me 15p to take it away.  I would have bought more had I known before I left the shop.
Community Veteran

I can't exactly remember the prices at this time but, Sainsbury's have a secret best kept secret of dishwasher tablets. 60 (if I remember) tablets £20, 30 tablet offer pack £5 and shoppers around me were buying the 60 tablet pack instead of two of the £5 packs Huh
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Infinity
Pro

A month ago, I  bought a lot of  DVD+R's from Tesco for £30 online. Discounted down from £60.
They had an offer on, I didn't notice, spend £30, get £10 off
So they cost me £20.
However, I was disappointed with their performance in my iMac, several failed to write
Previous ones, same make had been OK, so I made up the quantity, and took them back to my local Tesco for refund.
They are very good at giving refunds for faulty, or unwanted Tesco Direct Orders.
I took with me the email printout to prove ownership.....
At the desk, they couldn't find my order details, even with the reference number.
So they went off the printout I took with me.
Didn't notice, but when I purchased, I received two email receipts, one for the original £60, and one for the double discounted £20...
Yes you've guessed it. I took the wrong one in. (Honest)
On my original purchase price of £20, I was refunded £60

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Bought two sheds a year or two back with 10 year anti rot guarantee.
Within weeks one was going green and mouldy INSIDE so I rang up the customer services of the particular DIY superstore and grumbled. No-one even came to look at it but they got back to me and said they'd refund me the entire price of it if I could dispose of it or repair it to save them the hassle. One cheque for £150 later and the missus found some anti-fungal stuff specially for sheds  Smiley Although it wasn't technically a bargain it still resulted in a free shed.
Also found a multi tool thing like dremel years ago made by challenge (argo's own brand) at a boot sale, still in it's plastic wrapping and the bloke wanted just £7 for it. Needless to say I took it and it's been far superior to my black and decker wizard.
@Pluscom I bought a PCMCIA wifi adapter from Tesco moons ago originally priced at £20 reduced to £14. Worked perfectly with my network but when I went abroad it wouldn't work with any wifi network at all as it didn't like ENCRYPTED networks at all. Got home and the thing decided to start being flaky with my network too. Took it back and argued that they'd left me without internet access and that I'd had to buy a cross over network cable to hook up to another PC in order to use my laptop. They refused to compensate me for this but said they would without a doubt refund me. Begrudgingly I accepted with the "I'll be in touch with your customer services dept" reply. Cashier goes to do the refund and it kept coming up at the full £20  Grin Needless to say by the time he'd tried 3 times I threatened to get really snotty - he just gave me the £20 and I went away happy that I'd had the last laugh  Cheesy Tesco are stupid when it comes to refunds as they do often get it wrong in the customers favour - I've heard it so many times (call me cynical but I suspect it's done on purpose to keep people going back).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

OK.... Beat this..... Seen "Bargain Hunt" on the telly?  well... we used to do carboots quite a lot.... and one day we did four !... at the last one, it was a "bit slow" and I wandered around saw a couple of nice framed pics at a stall, and asked how much... she said £5 for the pair... ok..says I... and wandered off... went back as she was packing up.... still had them ....offered a £1... OK... pics are yours....
got them home...quite liked them .... hung them up... (nice beach/cliff/sea scenes)... kept them for about a year... Missus said to take them to an antique shop. and see if they were worth anything... did that... got a quote "for insurance" £350.... left name and phone number.... few weeks later, missus got on the phone to the antique shop, with an american ( she hoped accent) and asked if they had any pics by XXXXXX artist.... no sorry , but will keep an eye open.... daft beggar... phone rang about an hour later..... have you still got those pics? I`m interested in buying them..... will give you £400 for them.... OK... we`ll bring them in tomorrow....
end of story....