cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazing Amazon, now where's that item I ordered ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Amazing Amazon, now where's that item I ordered ?

Inside the UK's real-life Christmas grotto: Amazon staff work round the clock to package thousands of gifts as Black Friday sales rush begins online
Just one month to Chri$tmas...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2237350/Black-Friday-Amazon-staff-work-round-clock-package-t...
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Amazing Amazon, now where's that item I ordered ?

I find it amazing how amazon has grown from such a small startup 10 or so years ago to being such a big company. They really have done well for themselves. I also find it incredible that they've also found a niche by letting 3rd parties buy and sell via their site too in ebay style while continuing to run their own successful business.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

I have never had a problem with any item I have bought from Amazon, apart from the occasional one which was faulty !!
Always get a refund next day, unlike ebay.

Delivery is always very quick, and from UK or EU, none of this 3 weeks maybe from HK.
Packaging is superb, mostly in an oversized very strong cardboard box for protection.
I keep a lot of the boxes in a shed, I hate having to recycle them when I have too many, you never know !
I like the suspended, hammock like internals for protection.

119 orders placed in 2012 ( Mostly free Kindle books, they do a lot of these )
I don't have a Kindle, but Amazon do a free Kindle app that works very well on my iMac.
30 "real" items, two faulty, two refunded immediately.
Been a customer since 2007, looking at my past orders.
78 items since day one, on the whole, a very pleased customer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Me neither. I've only bought a couple of things from them but both were fine.
My partner bought something from a 3rd party via amazon though and it just never turned up. Amazon had hidden their bad reviews and you couldn't see them until after purchase. Food for thought there..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Most of the few problems I've had have been with their market sellers but even they have been resolved quickly.
A recent order for a cable didn't turn up and a replacement was dispatched which did eventually arrive.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Infinity
Pro

They have extremely good offers on cables, A, V, AV, RF etc
I recently bought 8 superb quality HDMI cables 3mtr & 7.5mtr for £10 ish, I may never need them, but worth buying just in case.
2 days from Germany.
I use an Amazon price watch monitor, sits on my Finder menubar, Prices Drop Monitor on the mac.
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40645/prices-drop-monitor-for-amazon

Community Veteran

If I'm after some second hand tat it's ebay but for most half decent items Amazon often are cheaper with the added benefit of Amazon service.
Last item bought was a wheelchair. Best price on ebay was for shop display models. Amazon had the same good brand on offer except new and over £20 cheaper all in.
MJN
Aspiring Pro

I too continue to find Amazon, and its customer service in particular, second-to-none.
I do feel though that their marketplace is sometimes the blot on the otherwise impeccably clean sheet. Several times now I've bought an item from a marketplace seller that has turned out to be a cheap knock-off to that advertised. The problem is the ease with which Amazon makes it for 3rd parties to sell the products already listed - there are no checks made to ensure that the item being sold by the 3rd party is actually the same as the one advertised.
My most recent incident was the purchase of what was expected to be a Ford-branded heater control valve but what turned up was a poor quality knock-off. The seller may well have genuinely not spotted/appreciated the difference - he saw the listing for a heater control valve and clicked the 'I've got one of these to sell' button and added himself to the list of marketplace sellers.
All said and done however if the marketplace seller doesn't play ball when it comes to the return/refund of such items then I've always found Amazon more than willing to step in and bail me out so it's only a time and inconvenience issue at the end of it.
Certainly for Amazon's own goods their returns process is second-to-none, likewise with replacement items - I've had several high-value items replaced before I've returned the old one. Of course, they've got my credit card details on file (double-edged sword that one - it's sometimes too convenient to make a purchase, even when you don't have your wallet on you!!) so the risk to them is minimal but even so it minimises the impact on me of the item being faulty and completely removes the usual 'What if this big/heavy items fails - how much hassle will I have in returning it?' question- in the case of Amazon the answer is a straightforward 'None whatsoever - we'll arrange and pay for its collection and will send you another in the meantime'. Better still, the answer is also '...and the replacement item will be treated as a new order and hence any manufacturer warranty will be reset to start from today's date'!
Mathew
P.S. Here's a recommendation whilst I'm here - check out uk.camelcamelcamel.com. Copy in an Amazon URL and it'll show you the price history for that item and let you set up alerts for when it drops below a certain level (no sign-up necessary). As regular Amazon buyers will know their prices can often be all over the place as they manage their inventory and you can often pick up some real bargains if you buy at the right time. Looking at the price history can reveal how low a given item can reach, and how regularly, thus if you're not in a rush for something it can be worth using this site to work out if it might be worthwhile holding off until it drops again.
kdoug007
Grafter

my latest    buy  was a    calendar,,
  ordered  monday arrived  wendesday!  and  saved  a lot  also,,
Razer
Grafter

I do love Amazon, and for the most part their service is faultless ... with one exception: Whenever I return anything I get an email a few days later to say an item they sent has been returned undelivered (which isn't correct). I am then refunded the cost of the item, but not postage, so I have to email them to get that refunded too. This has been going on for at least the last six years - without fail. Really gets on my nerves.
As for the market place sellers, I've never had a problem. Indeed one of them sent me some sweets; a nice added little treat to garner favour with new customers, no doubt. I thanked them for the sweets, saying that regrettably I couldn't eat them because I am a vegetarian (sweets contained gelatine), but that my friend would enjoy them instead. A few days later I got a parcel that consisted of a variety of sweets that were all suitable for vegetarians. How ... sweet can you get? They also happened to make me laugh with their light-hearted paperwork, and so I wrote a glowing review for that and what was sterling service from them in the first place anyway. Several days after that, I received another parcel ... full of sweets. Yes, they garnered my favour. I've never once had an experience like that with any merchant, be they online, at a market or any other place of business in this country. It was truly a lovely experience that made me smile and smile for days on end. So it's really not all negative where the marketplace sellers are concerned.
CX
Grafter

I used to buy odd bits and pieces (cables, adapters etc.) from eBay but these days end up using Amazon (or just popping down to the Maplin).
As a buyer, I have no complaints about using Amazon, either from Amazon directly or via a Marketplace seller. I can see how it can be difficult being a seller in the Marketplace, with respect to building a reputation. With eBay, the buyer gets the "send feedback" links and messages in their face, whereas on Amazon it's squirrelled away on the orders page, almost as if they're saying leave feedback if you want to, but don't feel obliged to do so.
Some orders recently I've noticed are from a 3rd party, but "fulfilled by Amazon". I'm not quite sure how this works, but you get to take advantage of the free super-saver delivery.
International orders work fine too, although I've had two customs release forms from Royal Mail in the past month, one for around £4 and the other for £8, but both with a nice £8 handling fee for Royal Mail added on top. That makes you want to just use digital downloads instead; although of course, the companies don't want to distribute TV show X or movie Y to the UK, or they do, but only in awful quality iTunes 480p not 720/1080p so you have to jump through hoops buying iTunes US gift cards. This was no fault of Amazon though, although it would have been cheaper to just split the orders rather than save on postage by having the audacity to combine 2 DVDs into a single order.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: CX
Some orders recently I've noticed are from a 3rd party, but "fulfilled by Amazon". I'm not quite sure how this works, but you get to take advantage of the free super-saver delivery.

Amazon hold the stock in their warehouse. I do like it when third parties are fulfilled by Amazon for so much of the stuff that Amazon themselves don't supply.
... I've had two customs release forms from Royal Mail in the past month, one for around £4 and the other for £8, but both with a nice £8 handling fee for Royal Mail added on top.

Doesn't it make you sick? I was so annoyed that the limit was reduced from £18 to £15 when buying stuff outside the EU (though I've been taxed on stuff that came from Germany before now ... and lost the appeal). Money grubbing Customs & Excise. GRRR.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Over the years I have bought loads of stuff from Amazon with only 2 minor problems. One was a counterfeit disk and my money was returned within 3 days, the other was a purchase which was through a third party which turned out to be in another country, three weeks before the item actually arrived but other than that everything else has been OK.
You do have to be careful with amazon as they are not always the cheapest for example,

[HSB] Philips GC8328/02 EasyCare Pressurised Steam Generator Iron with Microfibre HSB® Cleaning Glove
by Philips
Be the first to review this item Like (0)
Price: £350.98

Only 12 left in stock.
Dispatched from and sold by Cutting-Edge.
However the same item in Argos is £149.95
MJN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: gleneagles
Dispatched from and sold by Cutting-Edge.

That's the key right there. It's not Amazon - it's a 3rd party marketplace seller.
They set their own prices and, needless to say, will often not be the cheapest because they don't usually have the buying power of the giants (Amazon included). Furthermore, if they're the only seller then there's no on-site competition to force them to lower their prices so if anything they often get inflated (like in this case by the looks of things being twice the price).
Broadening your horizons is worthwhile though - you can buy the next model up from Amazon for £136 including delivery (it's £200 in Argos). A better iron for less money - it's a no brainer.
Mathew