cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amateur Sportsmen

wrestpete
Dabbler

Amateur Sportsmen

What are your views on Amateurism, as there now seems to a lack of this Proud understanding of years ago.

As a Bronze Medal  Holder of 1958 Empire and Commonwealth Games, find it hard to appreciate Sportsmen of today

15 REPLIES
Champnet
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Amateur Sportsmen

Out of curiosity, did you have to have a day time job ?

RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Champnet wrote:

... did you have to have a day time job ?

You mean like Alf TupperSmiley

wrestpete
Dabbler

Nice to receive a reply. Yes I worked 52 Hours a week earning £12 . 10 Shillings  a week.

Travelled all over London after my evening meal, to find a Club open for me to train.

Stanley Mathews at the time a Pro Footballer did not earn much more. How times have changed.

When representing England and The UK, my Clothing was purchased by the Association, and in the case of World Championship held in Moscow 1957 , the Communist Party contributed to Our Uniform and Flight to Helsinki and Train to Moscow. I came 6th place.

Also my name sake Lynford Christie was sponsored by Lucozade Advertising to the tune of £1,000,000. which definitely

made him a pro.     I could write a story.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I've often wondered with the sportsmen/women as to what the actual difference is between being a pro and being an amateur. Ok, being a pro means (to me) that you make your living from the chosen sport, but aren't some amateurs doing the same these days? (through various sponsorship deals). I always thought that an amateur funded the lot him/her self. Could be wrong so feel free to educate me.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
ffox
Rising Star

Do you remember "Gentlemen v Players" at cricket?  The gentlemen were skilled amateurs and the players were professionals.

One of my uncles was employed as a cricketer for Huntley and Palmers.  He did menial office work in the winter.

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Torvill and Dean went pro, then became amateurs again for the 1994 Olympics.

I rather liked it when Nordic football teams were made up of bakers, postmen, and the like while still (very occasionally) beating our pros, and those of other large nations.  Nowadays, their teams are a mixture of English Premiership, Real Madrid, Juventus etc. players so we expect them to do ok.

PS:  I don't wish to be nasty to the Swedes, but I hope they lose this afternoon! Cheesy

wrestpete
Dabbler

Pete, Yes most Amateur Sports are funded now. Yesterday the Bowling Club I play for in Rayleigh Essex, played a friendly against Jacks, the largest club in Essex. No we are not funded, and yes we beat them. Soon I will have to carry my Birth certificate due to the disbelief of my age 88th year. The secret is activity.

Regards Pete

ffox
Rising Star

@wrestpete wrote:

Soon I will have to carry my Birth certificate due to the disbelief of my age 88th year. The secret is activity.

Apologies for going OT, but that doesn't help those of us with mobility problems.

wrestpete
Dabbler

ffox,

We have many players with mobility problems, who excel in county championships, could go on. I happen to be 5 feet 4 inches tall, but will not let it hold me back when competing against a Giant,

I do appreciate there are problems, but they can be overcome

Pete

wrestpete
Dabbler

Jonpe,

They also receive in ONE day, what your Granddad received in his lifetime

Pete

Jonpe
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Yes, they keep telling us that they deserve it because their career is so short, but at some £100,000 a week it won't take long to earn what even a senior hospital consultant has earned in his lifetime.  And they use every trick in the book to make their earnings 'tax efficient' so pay proportionately less in tax than lower earners.

wrestpete
Dabbler

Bowling every day this week. Just picking up on last Post. Re Footballers and Hospital Consultants.

At age of 15 ,became an assistant Dispenser as an Apprentice (5 year course).  A London Hospital which relied on Voluntary

Subscriptions, like majority of London Hospitals, Our Hospital was managed by the Leading Surgeon and Matron. Who held meetings with all heads of Departments. Then in 1948 came along N.H.S. and the Pen Pushers took over. What a farce.

New Offices built, More Typewriters, New Carpets, More Staff who helped train more Staff,    I did my term in the R.A.F. ,came out and went into Retail Pharmacy, due to my disgust of the Managerial N.H.S, System.

Pete

wrestpete
Dabbler

I did mention that I worked 52 Hour Week, which was the norm, I also remained at work for 57 years.  17 years more than required for full State Pension.

Champnet
Pro
Fixes: 1

@wrestpete back in your times if a Sponsor had removed all financial worries and another housed you next to an Athletic Facility, preferably a warm Californian climate, would you have achieved greater success ?