cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am in Shock over quotes for Car Insurance

zedingrove
Grafter

Am in Shock over quotes for Car Insurance

After 5 years of not driving, decided to take to the road again. Damn I knew there was a reason I quit in the 1st place....
Have spent last 5 hours looking for quote...  Sad
Think I tried every broker/underwriter there is and the cheapest quote £1465.00 (Sainsbury) but the average quote was £2 - £3k
with some as high as £6.5k. What car is it? Well it not a Porche but a 2001 Toyota Previa!
What the link:censored is going on?  Angry
adie:red avoidance of swear filter removed.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Am in Shock over quotes for Car Insurance

I remember way back when I shared my car insurance with my dear old Dad for around five years. When I had to go back to my own insurance I had a hell of a job finding a reasonably priced insurer. None gave a damn that previously I had  a 60% no claims accident free record.
In the end I was "lucky" to find just one that took account of the years of me being a named driver on someone elses clean insurance.
At around the same time I thought a friend was being stupid paying for car insurance while he was away for a few years for a car sat in a garage. Turned out he was was just being sensible.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Price of Car Insurance has just gone mad. The cost has been forced up by a lot of the scam accident claims which has not been helped by the companies themselves.
Seems that due to the cost a lot of younger people do not see a car as a priority and would rather use their money for something else.
The state of the roads leaves a lot to be desired and at one time motoring was a pleasure but now many journeys are a nightmare.
Not sure how often you need a car or what you would use a car for but it's worth looking at how much the total weekly cost of a car is and comparing that figure against what a hire car or a Taxi or bus would cost per week if that's a feasible thing to do.
I Know one chap who works near London but found it easier and cheaper to cycle a couple of miles to the train station, leave his bike there and getting off the train at the other end had another Bike there which he used to get to work. (Both bikes were locked)
prichardson
Grafter

I think myself lucky for starting to drive when I did a little over 8 years ago. I was lucky I was in a position to pay for a years premium up-front.
Mine is due within the next 30 days and I am currently awaiting my renewal. Though it isn't the quote which I am too worried about, more some legal aspects of the policy (not the insurance itself, but the way the company has used my personal details unlawfully, which is configured but still under investigation).
Still expecting my renewal to cost me £700 on a 51 plate Astra Estate.
Community Veteran

Many years ago when I bought my first car (£70 Morris 1000) driving was a pleasure. As an apprentice a few years later, in a slightly more modern car, I used to think nothing of coming home in the evening and driving thirty miles or so to the beach in summer. All on a relatively small wage.
Now I'm so "better off" like many others I end up counting the miles of each journey.
I wonder when exactly did it (the economy) go wrong? Who taxed the fun to death? When did profits kill pleasure?
kdoug007
Grafter

may i  suggest  if  u havnt  already ,, to  try a  comparison web  site....
GrahamC
Grafter

My first transport was a 125cc Honda motorcycle, full tank cost all of 45p and good for 140+ miles  Smiley I purchased this beast while on my appreticeship working for Plessey Telecom on £10.80 per week. 17 years old and £18 fully comp insurance
Quote from: billnotben
I wonder when exactly did it (the economy) go wrong?

This would be a good place to start....1973 Oil Crisis and 1979 Energy Crisis for afters...
Quote from: billnotben
Who taxed the fun to death?

That would be all governments since '79, on the promise of inexpensive renewables that we are still waiting for.
It's suprising to note the relative stability in Oil prices from 1979 to 2008. But once the easy money from the Big Bang dried up, speculation and commodity betting has seen the prices soar.
zedingrove
Grafter

Quote from: kdoug007
may i   suggest   if  u havnt  already ,, to   try a  comparison web   site....

We should all avoid comparison sites, went to compare the market, found 72 brokers with approx 20 quotes result = starts at £1400 - £8300
Then Monday morning from about 10 am I had no less than 15 or so calls from insurance companies all because of them.
Have now understood why quotes were so high, no NCB and car has 7 seats with a 2.4 l engine  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I use an old fashioned high street insurance broker for my motor insurance, they do the chasing for cheaper deals.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And just to wind you all up a bit further think of the numbers of people who have been caught driving around for years with no insurance and in many cases no road tax or driving license.
When they get caught it's a fine of £200 - £300. Just think of all the money they have saved !
If they have an accident, no problem as the rest of us who do have insurance pay a premium to cover those without insurance.
zedingrove
Grafter

Just to wind you up even more.... £200 = £300Huh
Few years back I drove with out insurance/mot/tax and when caught went to court and with my extra smooth talking
I got 6 (SIX) points on my license and that was it!  Cheesy