cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I wrong here?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Am I wrong here?

I just bought this phone on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400173040570)
The ad and the box both show a GREEN screen looking like it is back light.
The seller says the screen is NOT back light, and so is not faulty, I say why show it in GREEN if the screen is GREY?
Awaiting for ebay to come back to me after I complained the ad was incorrect. I could return it for a full refund less the cost of posting it back but at the mo it is my only working phone  Sad Shocked, that and the return cost would be <50% of the purchase price  Angry
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

Re: Am I wrong here?

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

That Phone on eBay does show a Photo of a Phone with a back light, if you payed with PayPal you can get your money back.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Oldjim
http://www.binatonetelecom.com/products/digital-cordless-phones/style-1810
Picture shows backlit but description says LCD

Yes I'd agree but LCD screens can be backlit. Just because it says LCD doesn't mean it isn't backlit and if the picture is showing that it is then it's misleading.
Been down that road with both the last 2 cordless phones ourselves and were annoyed with both. Unfortunately they're one of the household commodities which still don't seem to be dropping that much price-wise. The non-backlit versions are cheap as chips but the backlit versions always seem to remain highly priced.
Amazing what some people will try to get away with on ebay, we had a usb hub once from ebay and despite clearly stating USB2 the seller sent us a USB1 hub and tried to deny any wrong doing. Sent back, left negative and he tried to give a strike for non-payment! Few weeks later he was trying to sell off the whole lot as a joblot because he couldn't shift them. Oh and he also sent us a love letter in a foreign language..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

The description does not say Its backlit, If they showed a photo of grey on grey you would not see the features It shows on screen.
Edit. Spelling
Community Veteran

Quote from: Steve
The description does not say Its backlit, If they should a photo of grey on grey you would not see the features It shows on screen.

Nope, but the box is was in shows it back light as well, and since it isn't how do you see the features with out shining a light on it?
Community Veteran

Yes but you can't really see them clearly anyway Wink
While its not stated, I do think that the photo is completely misleading and I'd call it false advertising tbh.
Steve
Pro

These phone Pics are nothing new and have always been sold this way. It Is why I read the Spec's first.
Community Veteran

Got a result, after going through the dispute process they are sending me a FREE returns bag, saving me £££ in return postage.
Now to get one that includes a back light  Angry
It was a good simple phone just lacking that one thing  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Stand to be corrected here but I thought that with any distance selling you had the right to return the goods within 7 days and the seller would be responsible for the cost of any return postage.
With e-bay and a number of other sites if it dosen't actually state a specific thing then it's best to assume the item does not have it.
A lot of photos of items on e-bay are just copies of what appears on other sites.
I Do agree the the photo was misleading.
Always best to send the purchaser a question to confirm if the item has a particular facility.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

I don't think so http://www.scan.co.uk/Terms.aspx#partII
c) Your right of cancellation
    * The rights of cancellation set out below apply to any agreement between you and us save insofar as the agreement is in respect of computer software if it is unsealed by you.
    * You have a right to cancel the agreement at any time before the expiry of a period of 7 working days beginning with the day after the day on which you receive the goods.
    * You may cancel by giving us notice in any of the following ways:
    * by a notice in writing which you leave at our address (given above);
    * by a notice in writing which you send by post to our address (given above);
    * by facsimile to our business facsimile number (given above);
    * by electronic mail to our electronic mail address (given above);
and the notice shall operate to cancel the agreement between us.
    * If you cancel the agreement :
    * you must return the goods to us at the address given above ;
    * the goods must be returned to us complete (please note the definition of goods given above) ;
  * you are responsible for the cost of returning the goods to us at the address given above ;
    * you are under a duty to take reasonable care of the goods (including reusable packaging, manuals etc) until they are returned to us ;
Community Veteran

Yes but the DSR also states that the seller isn't responsible for return postage if they've stated so before the sale. IE a line like "returns accepted at buyers expense" covers it. I think the same applies to returns in general too if you don't want the goods.
Community Veteran

in a similar vein, i bought a wee replacement  2 mp camera recently.  the blurb stated that it could manage 16gb of micro sd card, but the item firmly asserted that 8gb was it's max.  when i let it know, the buyer appeared mortified and offered me a much better (9.2 mp) free replacement, with which i am mighty impressed.
Community Veteran

I just had a bit of a "run-in" with an eBay seller where I wanted to return something under the DSR.
The rules say they have to collect and that in any event they MUST repay within 30 days (that applies even if the goods haven't got back to them).
Well, they exceeded the 30 days but did, after considerable pressure "cough up".
Their returns policy was actually in 2 parts; the first referred to faulty goods and how the buyer had to pay to return and would only be reimbursed if testing showed they really were faulty, otherwise there was also a "restocking fee" - not great but they CAN do that.
The second part merely (in VERY SMALL PRINT) told you that you could also return under the DSR, with no mention of who pays - so by default they do of course.
They argued that the first part applied (which it didn't) but after raising various cases with eBay and exposing every "lie" they told they eventually coughed up the postage too - it was only a couple of quid. For a commercial business that's a hell of a way to get repeat business!  Crazy
Contrast that to 3 other eBay "cases" I've had recently:
1. Faulty goods. Buyer refunded me and just said "bin it", no point in paying to return it.
2. Sold but no stock - apologised and told me they would send something a bit better at no extra charge - that was fine so I said yes thank you.
3. Product was "out of spec" but useable by me in place of what would have been a cheaper item. Agreed partial refund to reflect the difference in "value" and save the waste of sending it back.
Community Veteran

I've had a couple of minor probs with sellers on ebay.
I mentioned the usb hub somewhere already (not sure if its this thread) so I'll leave that out.
One was for a set of halogen lights... about £20 plus p&p. Turned up with a mains connection box broken so contacted them and they arranged for another set to be sent. They said to bin the old ones or repair or use for parts. Needless to say when the second set also turned up with the same broken part out came the epoxy resin and I had 2 for the price of 1  Cool
Had a precision tool turn up which was defective.. so that went back (P&P refunded) and another came... and consequently damaged something very important it was so precise..
Another sold me an item that was out of stock - at the moment I needed it urgently.. he eventually refunded several days later and earned himself one of those red things in the feedback area.
Another sold me a great gadget which I love to bits.. but one adapter was for the USA and the other didn't work. He did send replacements though so I was happy with that and left positive.
One of the most annoying was a climate control panel.. described as fully working and was pretty much useless. Luckily I had another which had the good parts this needed so stripped both down and made a good one. The seller got a stern warning not to do that to me again though.
There are sharks on ebay, you just have to be good at dealing with them.