Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I missing ssomething...?

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Am I missing ssomething...?

Have you ever felt that your Home Hub was perhaps not performing the way you would like it to?  Have you ever thought that maybe that cheap and nasty little power supply – Walmart – brick – call it what you will – that powers it was not up to the mark?  Well here’s a novel idea for a Christmas present.  For £225 you can buy an upmarket power supply to replace your brick.  If you really want to go the whole hog you can specify a fuse, cable and mains socket upgrade which brings the total up to £380.

MCRU are I believe a company that caters for the audiophile:-

https://mcru.co.uk/product/linear-power-supply-for-bt-home-hub-5/?v=79cba1185463

Now I’m not too convinced that a fuse could be worth £90 neither would I seriously consider paying £135 for a Furutech mains plug, mind you in the write up they do say:-

…” The body of the connectors incorporates an “active” damping material: Nano Crystal² Formula – Nano Crystalline, Ceramic and Carbon Powder Incorporated into select Furutech products, Nano Crystal² Formula — NCF is comprised of a special crystalline material that has two “active” properties. First, it generates negative ions that eliminate static and secondly, it converts thermal energy into far-infrared. …”

so perhaps I should start saving my pennies…

Any audiophiles out there like to try and convince me that these gadgets make an iota of difference Huh 

Happy Easter

18 REPLIES 18
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Re: Am I missing ssomething...?

Not me, but I've looking for that missing S your subject title has two of everywhere! 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Yeah... like gold plated jack plugs and sockets, with Oxygen free copper wiring, will improve the audio quality of your cd`s. walkman tapes and old 78" records  Undecided

Strat
Fixes: 505

Ah, those were the days when I could hear the differences in speaker cables Sad

That's why a local band picked me to mix their live sound....

That and nobody else wanted to do it.

Edit: typo

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

PNnewbie
Rising Star

Minivanman  >>> Not me, but I've looking for that missing S your subject title has two of everywhere!  <<<

I did notice that shortly after posting but couldn't see how I could edit it, it's this b....y new keyboard - worst speller I've ever had in the shack !!!

Strat >>> Ah, those were the days when I could hear the differences in speaker cables <<<

Would that be after running in the cables?  Apparently you have to do that (well that's what I read on the 'net...)

I spent a lifetime in electronics but I'm learning something new every day.

Strat

Not sure about the 'running in' bit but it was a dedicated audiophile who performed the test for me on vinyl, using very high quality equipment and there was a discernable improvement in the top end and transparency. 

Sadly I don't have the hearing quality any more.

PNnewbie
Rising Star

Maybe a new cartridge would spruce up your sounds ?

This one comes in at just under 19 grand:-

https://mcru.co.uk/product/ds-audio-master-1-optical-phono-cartridge/?v=79cba1185463

I seem to remember when I was into HiFi (a looooong time ago) the Goldring Lenco G800 and the G850 were king... (and would have cost a couple of quid less !!!)

Like Strat my hearing ain't what it used to be so maybe 19 grand for a cartidge would be a bit over the top Grin

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

It's for the same reason I do not spend mega bucks (for me anyway) on headphones for my old ears. 

£25? That'll do nicely thank you very much, just don't break to soon on me!

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Power supply! Bargain at that price!!! Shocked  A little story. Early last year, for some reason, I'd get up and find the router (not PN's) was off line. Still connected but just off line. Take the power off, back on and 30 seconds later it would be up and running again. Of course, each time that happened the line speed would slowly drop.

Anyway, I'd been thinking about buying a small UPS because we do get a fair number of power cuts once the wind starts blowing round these parts. Now it didn't come with gold plate this or any magic cables. Just a  set of 13amp sockets you plug whatever straight in to. Looks like this   And you know what? Its been online now for well over a year with no drops at all. Fluky electrics? God knows. But it was cheaper than £225.  

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

My first thought was that a UPS would be more useful....

Strat

@PNnewbie wrote:

when I was into HiFi (a looooong time ago) the Goldring Lenco G800 and the G850 were king

I have one of these....

Transcriptors Reference Turntable.jpg

And I even have a box of vinyls.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

An Aunt had one of these - a Dansette I think it was. 

870a57900d91fdb076d3d047d787060f.jpg

Trouble was my Uncle was Canadian and would insist on playing Slim Whitman records on it all the time. Nothing wrong with that of course, but a 1960s teenager could only take so much. Crazy2  

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Back in the 60’s I remember reading in a Hi-Fi mag about a man who sank a 10ft concrete column into the floor in his house. He was seeking a perfect vibration free platform for his Lynn turntable. Anyone remember those magazines ? The first 200 pages and the last 200 pages were adverts and the bit in the middle was the articles.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I still remember the radiogram that used to occupy a sizeable part of many living rooms well into the 1970s, a stark contrast to today's generation who can carry their entire music collection in their pocket.

Strat

The audiophile friend of mine had a 2' x 2' paving slab on brackets fixed to a wall on which to sit his turntable.

He spent more on a cartridge than I did on my whole system.

When I was a youngster we had a wind-up gramophone at home that took prism shaped hardwood needles.

There was a tool for sharpening them. It would also take bronze needles but these were more expensive.