cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I mad if I want to save money?

jmd
Grafter

Am I mad if I want to save money?

Well, just thinking about saving money.  So looked at what it would cost if I had SKY TV and realised that if I did I could pay out monthly about £12more than I do now just for broadband and phone [with calls].
So am I mad if I consider doing this and abandoning Plusnet [after several years I might add]?

ps have to say although I don't get high speed broadband at present [if fact it is slow and keeps dropping] the service has been fine but I could get more TV for smae money and broadband.................
51 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Am I mad if I want to save money?

There are other options to get more tv channels, and you will only have to pay out once for it, not be tied into a contract.... e.g. Satellite freeview.... I think Pierre knows all about this ....and will come along and tell you all about it...
Have a look at the sky tv package that you are thinking about. and ask yourself....
1... if I have another 100 channels, will I have time to watch them all
2.... do those channels cover my taste in tv entertainment....  e.g.(25 sports channels.... 25 shopping channels..... 10 motors for men channels..... ? ? ? ? 25 cartoon channels and 10 news channels )
3... how many of those channels will be screening "old movies" that you have seen 5 times already,.... and repeats of old tv programs.
4 will sky be better or worse, when the broadband goes down?
jmd
Grafter

I presently have a Humax freeview PVR so have been able to access more channels, also record 2 programmes at once.  Unfortunately, it is getting cranky [6 yrs old approx] and keeps freezing when in use and the remote control does not seem to always want to work - and when I do manage to record something I cannot access it because it freezes, oh, it is driving me potty!.  I thought about replacing it with a Humax Freesat PVR as there is a presently redundant dish on the outside of my house [previous folk had sky] but the cost of that and changing the cabling to accommodate the PVR means it would be more than £300.00.
No, I don't have time to watch all the channels but sometimes see things would like to watch that I cannot do so.
Hoping somebody may come along and tell me what Sky broadband is like [my niece uses it so have asked her and she has no problems but would like to know other's points of view!
nadger
Rising Star

Do you format your hard drive on a regular basis? - I've found that this improves performance on my Thomson Freeview box.
Fixes: 47

Have you checked for firmware updates.
I was about to replace my satellite receiver that crashed on HD channels until I checked last night and found a firmware update which fixed it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
jmd
Grafter

No firmware updates available for my Humax model - only later ones!  Unable to format the hard drive.
N/A

We have exactly this debate from time to time - most recently just last week.  It boils down to this - would you utilize the additional £12 per month in television viewing?
Bear in mind that as has been said, all the programmes are repeats and they will then repeat the programmes again if you see what I mean.
In addition to this, there are breaks every verse end for advertisements. These breaks are 4 minutes long or thereabouts.
Probably it would be a good idea to choose the package that you would prefer and then to scrutinize the television schedule for the coming week and just see how many of the programmes would be to your taste.  It might give you an idea if it would be worth the extra cash.
With regards to broadband the 'free' one is restricted to 2GB per month with (as far as I know) no 'free' time as we get with Plusnet.
There is no knowing if the speed will be better but if you have problems, what is the situation regarding customer support?  
My friend across the road is using Sky broadband on BT line and it seems OK - not sure if it is as speedy as mine though.
Oh - and don't forget to ask if there is a charge to go back to a BT line if you go on Sky LLU and decide to pack it all in.  Am not sure about this although I seem to remember that this used to be the case with other ones like TalkTalk.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I would not say you are mad no, I am tightening the apron purse strings too and am leaving plusnet next month and moving to talk talk LLU, My broadband will be only £6.99 a month compared to £17.odd a month with plusnet at present, May i point out that 2GB with sky's free BB is not a heck of a lot really.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: jmdlp
No firmware updates available for my Humax model - only later ones!  Unable to format the hard drive.

What model do you have? There has just been an update for PVR 9200T which has solved the problems that I had been having.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Steve
I am tightening the apron strings too
And also the purse strings  Wink
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Woops Embarrassed
N/A

When you take into account the cost of a new Humax it is tempting to go to Sky especially as they have offers on at the mo.
Does Sky have all the programmes that Freeview has?
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: alanf
Quote from: jmdlp
No firmware updates available for my Humax model -

What model do you have? There has just been an update for PVR 9200T

That is the model I have but I could not get the menu to unfreeze but eventually I did and found that it had downloaded the update 20th May 2010.  However, it still freezes when I am trying to input a recording and I have to switch the thing off manually!!
Will play with it some more this week to see if it stops freezing before I decide on sky [and if I do will probably be just for the tv] hoping that now I have been considering other options it will probably decide to work alright.  Will try to record something again and see if I can get that sorted - things usually work again when you have given up on them................... will have to see
jojopillo
Grafter

Never mind the money, the speed, the channels, what about the support? Although you may consider me biased, I, too, have swapped over to various ISP's in my time and frankly I've never come across more accesible support., whether it be telephone (24/7 0845 - low cost or free for many), ticket, forum, and as a company there's such a positive and supportive attitude throughout all departments, it's infectious, customer focussed and an ethos I'm proud to be part of.
Now, I'm not going to come on here and quote the party line, in my own time, if I didn't believe my ramblings I would just say nothing, and probably stay as far away from the place in my own time. But as many of you have probably noticed, some of us have even given our support at midnight before today, and why do we do that? There are a few possiblities:
1. We are mad
2. We are sad and have no life
3. We love our job
4. There's nothing better than helping someone with a problem.
I, personally tick all those points and don't mind admitting it. So, whether you decide to go to pastures new/grasses greener, just remember, there'll always be someone who cares here. I'll shut up now before I start to blubber!
(this post should be read accompanied by the hovis music - or Dvorak's Symphony No. 9, Opus 95,second movement  "From the New World," for all you luvvies!)
Jojo Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quick,......... get me a box of Kleenex. Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Grin