Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being upgraded by stealth?

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: Am I being upgraded by stealth?

That's copper, so it looks like they were just replacing aged infrastructure rather than deploying FTTP

2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Leapy wrote:

@bmc  Thanks Smiley My line is  FTTC  This is a photo of the box on the post and it looks a bit messy (but I'm no expert in messyness) Wink

post.jpg

No, that`s looks tidy, but it look`s like the engineer must have been in a rush as a pulley has been left up there Smiley

bmc
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 8

@Leapy 

My previous post was slightly mis-leading. Although PlusNet do charge the same for those on the FTTP Trial if a service became available you'd currently have to move ISP - and they do charge more than PlusNet. However, in most cases it appears they, like PlusNet, charge the same whether you're on FTTC or FTTP - unless you go for the Superfast options.

BT and Zen Internet are the best known providers doing FTTP but several smaller companies also offer a service. I saw a new one (to me) just the other day.

https://www.aquiss.net/unlimited-fttp-fibre-broadband/

The following two links are to articles on OpenReach FTTP. the first shows a picture of underground DP's. Those on poles are similar.

https://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2016/06/a-peek-at-the-future-world-of-openreach-fttp/

https://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2015/09/g-fast-and-fod2-a-peek-at-the-openreach-hardware/

Brian

idonno
Pro
Fixes: 1

Maybe too many faults developing or maybe not enough capacity. We had much the same experience last yeat, with just an upgrade to the existing copper based infrastructure - (we already have fibre following the same route) all replaced from the next village to the PCP box in the village and then on to some houses. We did get a new box on the ground. Not that it did me any good. Already at the top end, speedwise and I very rarely use the landline. I didn't see any improvement whatsoever.

Now, if they had increased speeds, that would have been the icing on the cake.
Sure I'd love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Luzern
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 3

@Leapy  here are the replies I received

A duct can have a sub-duct installed within it. The sub-duct can, obviously, hold cabling (either metallic or glass (or plastic) fibre).

"Rodding" is the process of pushing a semi-flexible rod (either one continuous length from a reel) 
or discreet lengths, joined together like a chimney sweeps rods and brush, into a duct. Once the
rod(s) reach the other end of the duct (so being "rodded") a polypropylene rope (blue coloured)
would be attached to a coupling on the "nose" of the rod and the rod(s) pulled back to the point
where they were initially inserted, drawing the rope through the duct. The test would be whether the rod(s) could be inserted through that length of duct. Approximately 300 metres of sub-duct (possibly already pre-cabled) would then be drawn into the duct by usage of the polypropylene rope. If the "rod, rope and test" fails due to a blockage in the duct, the duct would have to be
excavated. The existing duct may run under the pavement ("footway" (FW)), the road ("carriageway"
(CW)) or verge. Hence notice has been given that excavation my be required in one, two or all three of those surfaces. The duct route, to which the works refer, is classified as a spine route (a major infrastructure
route) to the relevant, nearby, telephone exchange. As for the "pulling cables along the pavements all around and running them up the wooden telegraph poles, to a new big blackbox on top", without seeing a picture . . . who knows? ------- Its a DP. Distribution point/pole. The black box at the top terminates the underground cable that is fed up the pole. The individual drop wires then connect to the screw terminals within the box. ---------- ME: Is it probably only a replacement for an old one, and the emquirer is reading some more
significant; do you think? REPLY Sounds very likely, or just increasing the copper capacity of the DP.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Leapy
Aspiring Pro

It seems I posted photos of my pole in error as it has not yet been done!

I just have the masonic marks on the pavement pointing at my pole!

signs.jpg

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
Leapy
Aspiring Pro

Looking around, the ones that have been done have a @Luzern a blue rope around them and a new gavenised cable sheild and what looks like an egg box on top of the pole!new box.jpgnew wires.jpgrope.jpg

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

That's definately an ANPR/face recognition camera! 

bmc
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 8

@Leapy 

I don't know about the box on the left of the pole but the one on the right definitely looks like a fibre Distribution Point. As I understand it if FTTP is ordered they replace your current phone line with hybrid fibre / phone cable. The fibre cable plugs into the box on the right.

If you look at the links I posted before you'll see a DP in more detail. Also, to be certain you should put your phone number in the Openreach site I gave in an earlier post.

Either that or waylay any OR engineer you see on the street and ask.

Brian

Highlighted
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

The engineer we had said that the black box on the pole outside of our house (which had cables coiled round it for months) was what he call a node, or a distribution point for the fibre and that our fibre connection came not from there but by way of an underground duct. I do recall there was a notice on the pole saying "fibre" with an arrow pointing up towards it so...  

The guy opposite bought some old poles to make a shed/lean-to with (don't ask) and I had two of the climbing brackets off it which were for great for hanging baskets. Smiley  

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 10

@bmc wrote:

@Leapy 

I don't know about the box on the left of the pole but the one on the right definitely looks like a fibre Distribution Point. 

Box on the right is definitely a Fibre DP. The one on the left is a copper DP.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

"The guy opposite bought some old poles to make a shed/lean-to with (don't ask) and I had two of the climbing brackets off it which were for great for hanging baskets" Smiley  

And yes, that is my fibre connection in the background, although I had to re-fix the cable as the engineer not run a drip loop from the junction box. Sad

IMG_2991 (2).JPG

Champnet
Pro

If there was any intention to supply fibre to the premises then you would be constantly pestered by bus loads of door to door salespersons whose only selling line is “It has to be better than what you’ve got !”

Been through it and they couldn’t answer the simplest of questions, so for time time being we’re staying as we are.

Note to Plusnet : Customer loyalty reductions....

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

It was only after noting that junction box on 'our' pole that I made enquiries about it with plusnet after being told by BT on several occasions over a couple of years that yes, fibre was (or would be available) by 2015. It never was and with trials being offered I took them up on it and lo and behold it was suddenly available.

Informed my neighbours left and right about it especially as one of them works from home as a software developer, and now they are both fibre connected - one with Zen their existing provider and the other with.... yep, BT.

What is it they say, "if you don't ask you don't get"? It was certainly true in my case. 

Champnet
Pro

just for the record my post relates to Cityfibre & Vodafone. Yes, there is a 1GB Fibre line running outside our house but gut feeling is to stay as we are for the time being....