cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being cynical ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Am I being cynical ?

A Chap came around the other day delivering leaflets for replacement Gutters & Soffits and as he was handing me the leaflet with the usual 10% off he went on to tell me that he was just doing the job part time as he owned his own business for a number of years but his wife left him a year ago and the business went to the wall.
Normally I would not have questioned this but a few months ago I went with a friend to view a second hand car and the chap selling it also went on to talk about a recent trauma he had suffered. Of course this could just be a coincidence and what they said might be accurate but I did wonder was it just a sales gimmic to get your sympathy rather than a genuine story.
Personally I would never even think of discussing such personal matters with someone I had just met, so am I being cynical or is this the latest approach to selling things ?
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Am I being cynical ?

Hard luck stories don't cut it with me.

Which could be a problem for a genuine case.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Am I being cynical ?

With the number of fraudsters etc. around these days it's a good idea to be cynical.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 125

A hard-luck or other sob story wouldn't influence me to purchase but it may affect my bid which I would probably lower.
But I'd rather not hear personal issues - have many of my own to worry out Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
...so am I being cynical...?

Yes, and rightly so.
I'm also inclined to be suspicious of anything said by a tradesman that's preceded by "Well, to be perfectly honest...".
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I am the half brother of a Nigerian Prince who's fallen on hard times, but he does have a fortune he's trying to release from his homeland. If you can act as an intermediary he'll be most grateful ....
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Let me guess ..................he also has a collection of Dr Who tapes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Not sure about you being cynical, but it seems to me.the sales-persons certainly are.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Don't let them hook you in.  A con IMO Sad
Community Veteran

I've always been of the opinion that a salesman will say anything to clinch a sale!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.