cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I a miserable old sod

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Am I a miserable old sod

Why does this leave me cold http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Royal-Wedding-Councils-Flooded-With-Thousands-Of-Street-Par...
Royal Wedding Parties Set To Sweep Nation
Councils across the nation have been flooded with requests for road closures as thousands prepared for massive celebrations to mark the Royal Wedding.
29 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Am I a miserable old sod

Not really, Jim, as it doesn't really interest me that much.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Should be fun, Our council are still sending out the Dust Carts on that day
N/A

No, you are not a 'miserable old sod' Oldjim - just quite legitimately disinterested.  Nothing wrong in that. 
There will be no street parties here and I would not attend one if there were but I am really looking forward to the wedding.  Pomp and ceremony is what we do best and after all it is a very historic occasion.  Think of all those monarchs going down the line hundreds of years.  Also, it is so nice to see the heir to the throne marrying just an ordinary (albeit very discreet and sensible) lady.  I feel quite positive that this marriage will be a good one and that has got to be an excellent role model for our young people, particularly those who rush into relationships with disastrous results.
I'll probably get a bashing for saying this, but it makes me proud to be British.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Like me then, Jim, you'll be needing one of these.
Not young enough to know everything
nadger
Rising Star

Thanks for that 4C - just emailed friends to see if they want to add to my order  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Nope.... I`m not interested either.....

Mr White said regulations vary depending on the type of event and said several authorities had waived the normal road closure fees.

and some councils are "miserable sods"..... a local tv report (meridian south) this week highlighted the fact that some councils are INSISTING on charging the organizer for a road closure, and indeed, have increased the "fee" for allowing the road (that people live in, and pay council tax ) to be closed..... they are also INSISTING that there be qualified marshals, and that the organizer has a whacking great "public liability insurance " cover too.... (of course.... increasing the fee, has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they are strapped for cash, and see this as a way of adding to the coffers)....
how miserable is that?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Not particularly interested either.
Unfortunately poppy, royal brides historically have not been particularly well treated by "the firm" as recently as Diana. Once the heir and a spare has been produced most have ceased to have any real use in life. In this our Queen has not changed much here either, one of the few criticisms that can be levelled at her.
Will's and Kate do seem to be genuinely enamoured of one another (in the early stages so did Charles and Diana until he he dropped the "whatever love is" faux-pas) However, Kate does make a slight change as not being an "arranged marriage" You may read and hear about many worldwide cultures having arranged marriages, few are more adept at it than the British aristocracy.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
...a until he he dropped the "whatever love is" faux-pas) ...

Ok the man's embarrassed about talking about his emotions on the international media and 30 years later, people still bring it up.  How many men on here would go on even local radio, and say "of course I love my wife very much ..." (except maybe as a dare)  We're just not good in this country about being open about these things (and that's not necessarily a bad thing).
As to how the in-laws get on with us, that's always a good subject for debate (I'm fortunate with my in-laws, but how  many mothers-in-law and daughters-in-law are the best of pals?)
Fortunately most of us don't live our marriages in the full glare of international publicity
John
nadger
Rising Star

With hindsight we all realise that Charlie was doing a job and Diana was a naive brood mare. In many ways it's a shame that he wasn't allowed to marry Camilla in the first place.
William and Kate have been together for longer than most couples are before getting married. She's nobody's fool and I really think that their marriage will be a success.
Still doesn't mean that I want a street party.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Nope, and I'm glad you asked because i was wondering the same thing about myself with all this royal wedding crap.
I frankly couldn't give a rats about them. She's the daughter of a rich couple, so is he and apparently we're all supposed to celebrate that they're going to live the perfect life with richness, multiple properties etc while the rest of us struggle just to pay the bills.
As-If.
Get real folks, this isn't a fairy tale.
Admittedly I actually would like to see a street party but only because I've never experienced one NOT because of them getting married.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

Yes, they are both very rich but this is not really what it is about.  Not sure about the 'fairy tale' analogy either.  I would hope that people are rather more sophisticated than that in this day and age.
In this very miserable world it is nice to see two happy young people become a married couple.  I would also hope that the 'firm' has learned vital lessons from the past in order not to repeat mistakes.
I am not an ardent royalist but will be taking it for what it is - a day of celebration and happiness for all concerned. 
Fixes: 47

The interesting thing to me is the fact that two people are actually getting married which seems an increasing rarity.....speaking as a grumpy old man Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Am I a miserable old sod

Yes, and so am I.
I couldn't give a toss about the wedding
nadger
Rising Star

Obviously none of the forum members got a card, in the post, from Buck House.
Back in 1947 I was collecting engine numbers, at a London station, when the royal train pulled out with Liz and Phil on board - closest I'll ever get to a royal wedding  Smiley