Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Always leave a gap when stopped in traffic

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Always leave a gap when stopped in traffic

Masked men attempt 'horrific' carjacking with axes in Bury

Footage of a "horrific" carjacking attempt by two masked men, which saw them hack at a car window with axes, has been released by police.

Bentley pictured after terrifying axe attack by car-jackers

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/200000-bentley-pictured-after-te...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-manchester-42063988/masked-men-attempt-horrific-carjacking-w...

A Policemen friend told me many years ago to always leave a large gap between yourself and the car in front when stopped, so that you can escape if threatened.

It is now a habit, it also helps in a powerful car to avoid running into the back of the car in front, and gives you space to accelerate around that car, if desired.

Also, be aware of your surroundings, at all times.

And don't have the radio on too loud, so you are oblivious to outside sounds.

I will often, when static or moving slowly, either in traffic or a car park, have a window open slightly, usually the passenger window,  so I can hear what's going on outside, children, shouting etc.

And of course, keep your car doors locked.

All my cars have automatic door locking when you reach a certain speed (15mph ish)

But also, as soon as I enter a car, I lock the doors, again second nature.

I did a security driving course coupled with an evasive & defensive course a while back, very informative.

(In connection with my business interests including Government contracts)

4 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Always leave a gap when stopped in traffic

Infinity wrote:

A Policemen friend told me many years ago to always leave a large gap between yourself and the car in front when stopped, so that you can escape if threatened.

It is now a habit, it also helps in a powerful car to avoid running into the back of the car in front, and gives you space to accelerate around that car, if desired.

Or more likely, if the car in front stalls, you are not stuck behind it whilst the other driver sorts themselves out !

Community Veteran

Yes that's the norm. I always leave jiggle room for the the conked out car scenario.

And the road blocked ahead I need to turn around one.

It always surprises me when cars line up (too) close to a bus when it stops and wait and wait. While me a few cars back with a "gap" simply pulls out and passes the lot.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I can't remember where I read it, but don't they (car thieves) deliberately run in the back of you?
So you get out of the vehicle, disorientated.
Car gets stolen.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Obviously staged but like this @Alex?