cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to "prancing on ice" .PART TWO ... tonight at 7PM BBC2

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Alternative to "prancing on ice" .PART TWO ... tonight at 7PM BBC2

Yes, there is something worth watching tonight...
BBC2  7PM

Queens of British Pop
First in a two-part celebration of 12 female singers who have influenced British pop music over the past 50 years. This programme looks at the 1960s and 70s, when Dusty Springfield, Sandie Shaw, Marianne Faithfull, Suzi Quatro, Kate Bush and Siouxsie Sioux were involved in some of Britain's defining musical movements. Tom Jones, Burt Bacharach, Jarvis Cocker, John Lydon and Henry Winkler contribute along with some of the female stars themselves. Liza Tarbuck narrates
30 REPLIES
Fixes: 123

Re: Alternative to "prancing on ice" .... tonight at 7PM BBC2

It all seemed very interesting till I got to the bit 'Lisa Tarbuck narrates' Cheesy
I'll probably still download later and watch it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I was kind of expecting to see Elton John on that list  Roll eyes
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Great recommendation Shutter.  It was going to be a DVD or something on the Humax.
Without a doubt the best was Dusty - fantastic Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

Oh Yes... Indeeedy.... Dusty was the best "white soul singer" ever... I have several of her vids from youtube...
an extremely beautiful one is this, and I think it is quite a rare version..

Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thanks shutter, recorded that. SWMBO insists on DoI for two hours, did you realise, for a two hour show there is about 15 minutes total of actual "competitive" skating and lord knows how many ad breaks!!
Stilll, I know when to keep quiet Embarrassed Embarrassed
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
It all seemed very interesting till I got to the bit 'Lisa Tarbuck narrates' Cheesy

Have you heard Lisa Tarbuck presenting on the radio? Quite a revelation, she's very good.
Community Veteran

I thought she did well.  Didn't recognise her until it was mentioned on here.
Fixes: 123

Quote from: KevinG
Quote from: Mav

Have you heard Lisa Tarbuck presenting on the radio? Quite a revelation, she's very good.

I rarely listen to the radio. I simply remember her from her stint on Blockbusters and a tv series called watching.
I've yet to watch the program the op reverred to but looking forward to seeing it.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Thanks shutter enjoyed that (having seen the recording) but feel they missed an earlier girl, who in her own way has been just as successful...Helen Shapiro. who incidentally Amy Whitehouse was a dead-ringer for (truly, no pun intended) even down (or up) to the tall beehive hairdo.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Ah, Helen Shapiro - a great voice.  She was in a TV show about a year ago as a guest singer and still has a good voice.
Sandie Shaw was on the Jules Holland programme at New Year IIRC.
Community Veteran

Uhmm!! probably Helen Shapiro became the jazz singer Dusty Springfield wanted to be. Remember the other great girl jazz singer Cleo Laine's flirtation with "pop" "You'll answer to me" going on to be Mrs Johnny Dankworth.
Its not meant as a criticism of the programme but there are a number of girl pop singers missing other than Helen Shapiro of that era: Lulu (why has she had a trout pout?) who appeared as a commentator!! Cilla Black to name just two. 

pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you missed it last time
DOCUMENTARY: Queens of British Pop
On: BBC 2
Date: Sunday 12th February 2012
Time: 19:00 to 20:00
A celebration of six queens of British pop music, and a look at their impact between 1980 and 2009. This programme profiles Annie Lennox, Alison Moyet, Kylie Minogue, Geri Halliwell, Amy Winehouse and Leona Lewis. These female stars take us from post-punk to The X Factor, with a slice of girl power along the way. Narrated by Lisa Tarbuck, with contributors including Annie Lennox, Dawn French, Dave Stewart, Alison Moyet, Pete Waterman, Alexandra Burke, Leona Lewis, Lily Allen and Adele.
(Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles, 3 Star)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Uhmm!! probably Helen Shapiro became the jazz singer Dusty Springfield wanted to be.

Dusty has some very good Jazz songs on Youtube...and quite a lot of "unheard of" stuff as well....
If you are a part-time Dusty fan.... (didn`t know she did that song..... etc) then browsing her stuff on Youtube will be very interesting...
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Ah, Helen Shapiro - a great voice.  She was in a TV show about a year ago as a guest singer and still has a good voice.
Sandie Shaw was on the Jules Holland programme at New Year IIRC.

Sandie Shaw sings in German.....

Helen Shapiro (takes a day off school to record this)