Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to Thunderbird for email client

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Alternative to Thunderbird for email client

I`m posting on General Chat, as this is a request for opinion, rather than a "techy" problem to be solved.

I have been using Thunderbird for years... but I "think" it may be causing me some problems, as mentioned on the tech board... so I am looking for an alternative ..

I don`t want any "whistles, bells, gongs, flashing lights" type of thing.... just a simple prog to download emails so I can read them and delete them or move them to "saved" folders.

Checking out the question on Google, throws up a couple of lists,... so, I am wondering if the members of the forum have tales, and anecdotes, to convince me that "their choice" is the best  .

Claws Mail

Sea monkey

Mailspring

or anything you think may appeal to my simple mind !

Thanks

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Fixes: 394

Re: Alternative to Thunderbird for email client

Moderator's Note(s)

Several replies moved to>https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Freeze-or-rather-I-wish-it-would-NOT-F... at the request of the OP

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I have been using Thunderbird for many years and not found a problem with it.

What problems do you think it is causing?

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

Have you tried contacting Mozilla about your problem?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@artmo   I have been using it for about 15 years.... see my thread on tech board.

@Jonpe  No... Often trying to contact them is fruitless and a waste of time... as it probably only affects me, or maybe a few others...  they consider it "tough"...

This thread is about finding a decent alternative to Thunderbird... ( preferably one that I can migrate all my saved emails and address books to, fairly easily) ..

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Never had a problem contacting Mozilla. Generally answers emails within an hour and their mods are amongst the most knowledgeable people I have come across.

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 7

This thread is about finding a decent alternative to Thunderbird... ( preferably one that I can migrate all my saved emails and address books to, fairly easily) ..

@shutter a good alternative to Thunderbird is eM Client , who also offer a very good free version. 

https://www.emclient.com/?lang=en

Also easy to transfer from Thunderbird 

https://www.emclient.com/blog/transfer-all-data-from-your-current-email-client-to-em-client-easily-8...

Hope this helps Smiley

Mike
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@ITWorks  thanks for that ! .... I`m running Linux Mint 19.1  ... and it says   for Windows and MAC...  I could "probably" run  it under  WINE   which enables Windows type software to run on Linux machines ;... ( nothing to do with Virtual Box) . 

Will look at it again, tomorrow, and see how it pans out.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@ITWorks  I have just downloaded, and tried to install it  , using WINE.. but I get an error report notice... with an email address to send the bug report to...

I have done that... with an explanation that I know it is for "windows & MAC "   so maybe they will see if it can be fixed

Cheers

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your throwing the baby out with the bath water here @shutter!

By your own admission you’ve used this application for 15 years or more but you’re dumping it because of this one issue.

You would be better investing your time in finding a solution to this rather than a new client.

Start by uninstalling TB and FireFox s they're both in the same family using :

sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox thunderbird 

To install the latest and greatest add the mozilla repository to your device.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install firefox thunderbird

I’m sure that once you does this all will be well, I hope, but if nothing else it’s surely worth a try? If it doesn't work for you at least you'll know how to remove it if you change Clients.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Anonymous    Hee Hee  ! ! ! ..Grin

Yeah.. you could be right there.... however,... I never liked babies ... cos they never liked me... so kept well away from them as much as possible..

Thanks for the sudo`s   all noted for future use... will persevere at present... as it is all good learning stuff...Wink

Since yesterday, when I started to use TB with so called "safe mode"   ( why is it that it needs a "safe mode"   is it "unsafe" when the addons, that come as standard fitment on install  are enabled by default  ? ?  )

anyway.. since then .. so far this morning.. I have not had any issues of stalling.  jerky mouse, unreliable/not working mouse or freezing...

But it will be nice to have an alternative to Thunderbird, and eM CLIENT may be just the thing... the offerings on the "software manager" do not appeal to me... nor do any that I have tried from a google search.. Cry

( don`t ya just love Linux ! ! !  Smiley )

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough @shutter, but I'm going to suggest that you have nothing to lose by trying what I suggest above now. You'll then be able to try it running in normal mode and if that doesn't work, then so be it, you can return to plan A.

If you do when you first start TB there will be a notification telling you about the Calendar integration, you can disable it at this point before you add any accounts.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

OK @Anonymous   Does that first one, that has Firefox AND Thunderbird mentioned... remove, and replace both? all in one go ?  

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it just removes them if you want to you can do them individually.

sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox 
sudo apt-get remove --purge thunderbird 

The reinstallation is done on the last line of the three command.

The first adds the Mozilla repository (the location where the applications are stored online).

The second updates the apt system with what it finds there.

And the last line does the installation and like above you can do these separately if you want.

I'm suggesting both as they are from the same family so makes sense to do both.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

OK..  Thanks very much... Wink