Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative to Thunderbird for email client

Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Alternative to Thunderbird for email client

@artmo wrote:

Never had a problem contacting Mozilla. Generally answers emails within an hour and their mods are amongst the most knowledgeable people I have come across.

Yes, their forums, which also include SeaMonkey are very prompt in response and helpful.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Mook   can you check what you writ ?   

sudo add line ....          

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/ppa

. terminal responds with

sudo: add-apt command not found

(can`t use copy and paste, as am on another laptop.... ! ! ! cos no ff or tb now installed ! ! )

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

@shutter - I'm assuming that's because you're missing hypen between add-apt and repository, as shown here:

mook@Mint-VM:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/ppa       
You are about to add the following PPA:
 Mozilla Team's Firefox 60 ESR and Thunderbird 60 stable builds
 More info: https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
Press Enter to continue or Ctrl+C to cancel

Otherwise the error would be different i.e. add-app-repository command not found

Community Veteran

@Mook   hmm   I copied it as it was put on screen....but... I think I must be seeing a space between the - on sudo add - apt    and then again between the apt - repository...

done it all in "close order" and it has responded "properly"    I hope...

onwards and downwards... as the saying goes ! !

thanks

Wink

Community Veteran

@Mook    Hmm   again ! ... ok... so when it did the "remove"  I closed down the laptop and rebooted, before doing the "install" bit..

If you do when you first start TB there will be a notification telling you about the Calendar integration, you can disable it at this point before you add any accounts.

I removed the icons from the desktop before closing... and they are still not there after the install.

.so I went to the "menu"... and see FF and TB on the list... clicked on Firefox .. and it opened up with all my "addons" in place...   

SO ... I am wondering if I am looking at my "old" version... as originally obtained from the menu when I started this Linux install...

Checking on the Thunderbird ... did the same ... clicked on TB   it opened up... to exactly the same page(s) as it was before I removed it... so I am thinking this is DEFINITELY the old copy running..   ( was looking at the "troubleshooting" section as well as the normal mail window) both opened when I clicked on the Menu Icon...

Especially as I did not get any notifications saying that either install was successful, or completed..  and especially from your comment above.. about notification of the calendar thing..

here is the Terminal...

terminal result after ff & tb install.png

Community Veteran

You didn’t need to restart the machine, this is not Windows, but it's a hard habit to break (Mmm, there's a song in there).

OK, if you think you’ve got multiple installs try this:

sudo find / -type f -iname thunderbird

and you should get results similar to this.

mook@Mint-VM:~$ sudo find / -type f -iname thunderbird
/usr/lib/thunderbird/thunderbird
/usr/share/indicators/messages/applications/thunderbird
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/thunderbird
/etc/apport/native-origins.d/thunderbird
/etc/apport/blacklist.d/thunderbird

Edit:- If you want to check the version you have prior to running it use:

thunderbird --version

If you do find multiple versions then use the fully qualified path to check their versions:

/usr/lib/thunderbird/thunderbird --version
Community Veteran

@Mook   OK>.. Thanks again..... apart from the line in white... and the two "find" lines at the end... it seems to be the same as yours..

thunderbird terminal result.png

Community Veteran

Well that's good news @shutter, try running it in normal mode for a while and see how it goes. Post an update with your progress please.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Mook  OK... have been running the re-installed Firefox and Thunderbird since the last post... up to midnite last nite... and from 0800 to 1000 and again from 1300 until now... and I am glad to say that all seems to be working properly...

So.. despite the original request on THIS board for info about an alternative... @Mook  suggestion seems to have cured the problem detailed in my other thread on the Tech board.

Would be nice to find a decent LINUX alternative to Thunderbird, that will migrate...  If only, to have another email client available, should Thunderbird go wonky again...

Thanks to all for the input... Wink