cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative Medicine

N/A

Alternative Medicine

Like many people as they get older, I have more than the odd night where I feel that I haven't slept as soundly as I would like.
My other half presented me with two sticking plasters last night that he had obtained as a free gift in a natural health magazine. The idea is to stick them on your feet before going to bed and they are supposed to relax you thereby enabling a good nights sleep.
Anyway, patches duly applied and I didn't think that they would make any difference, but woke this morning having had the best sleep for ages - in fact I was quite zonked!
I am a bit sceptical about such things but this alternative remedy certainly seemed to work.
They are too expensive to use every night but the only way I can prove their efficacy is to buy some so I am going to send for a small supply later on.  Shocked
22 REPLIES
Euge
Grafter

Re: Alternative Medicine

Is it something that you can use for a long period of time? I know things like nytol are only supposed to be used as a short term solution because your body becomes 'immune' to it's properties after a couple of weeks.
Denzil
Grafter

How do they claim it works? If it is applying some kind of herbal drug to be absorbed by the skin, for example, then I would be a bit careful. It is a common misconception that 'natural' remedies must be good, but they are not always the best or the safest.
N/A

It's got:
blend of all natural ingredients including mandarin wood vinegar,
in it so not sure about anything else.
It's got something to do with the reflexology points too so it's not just the stuff it contains.
That's the point though - even with 'natural' remedies like the Nytol example you have to be careful.
I've had acupuncture in the past and it was very successful. However, I felt that the effect was reduced as treatments progressed.
Where this scores is that it is very relaxing if you get a good practitioner.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Might be Poppy, that you answered your own query in your opening paragraph: "Like many people as they get older, I have more than the odd night where I feel that I haven't slept as soundly as I would like"  Fact is most people naturally as they get older sleep less. If you find you are worrying about it, you will continue to worry while trying to sleep, result...no sleep. Answer, stop worrying about it, many older people survive very well on just a couple of hours sleep a night, they usually get as much as they need. It does however often leave a lot of very quiet hours to fill. If you don't already find something to occupy yourself; read, watch TV (not recommended over night) knit, jigsaw's, even post in PN forums, you may well find yourself dozing off, especially the last.
Above all stop worrying about it, you almost certainly get as much sleep as you need.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

Good general advice Petlew. Actually I don't get regard it as a great problem as it is just the odd time and it's not difficult to cope with really.
I used to work nights and sometimes managed with hardly any sleep over 24 hours so an occasional poor night is not out of the way.
As you say, best not to worry about it - there is lots to do with the time like reading, card making, puzzles and, of course, forums like this one.
I chiefly wondered what peoples' opinions were on the subject of alternative medicine, and perhaps which ones might have worked for them.
maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've often been sceptical about some alternative remedies, but have recently found myself surprised by how effective reflexology can be. My wife's friend is a reflexologist, and I have suspected that she uses what she knows about a person to bolster her 'diagnoses'. But she doesn't know me very well, and somehow, just by applying pressure to my feet, she completely out of the blue asked me if I was having trouble with my leg muscles. Not only was she correct (recent frequent hip pain when out jogging or on the bike), but after a bit of pressure applied she managed to relieve the problem. I'm not saying I'm a convert, but certainly more open-minded and less sceptical about alternative forms of treatment.
@poppy - do you have a link for those sleep plasters?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
alanf
Aspiring Pro

Searching for mandarin feet plaster finds many hits for products that claim to stimulate reflexology points, detox you and goodness knows what else. As with any product I would like to see the scientific trials to back-up these claims. The smell of the oil is supposed to help one relax so the feet seems a strange place to put it!
Poppy says "I have more than the odd night where I feel that I haven't slept as soundly as I would like." which sounds as if more often than not sleep is problem free. In which case how would one be sure that one good night was down to the treatment?
N/A

You are correct alanf - that is why I would like to try it again just to see.
My friend, who was bereaved at the end of last year has regular sleepless nights so she wants to give them a go. That would be the better test I suppose.
Hope that this is OK with the mods but the link is: http://www.patch-it.info
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I cannot find it again but I did find a page concerning this product that claimed that it put nothing into the body it just removed bad stuff.
The claims for detox products in general do not seemed to be backed by evidence. I wouldn't waste my money on such a product. Of course the placebo effect can be powerful so these products may work on people who believe that they will work. And if they are expensive they must be good ....mustn't they? Wink
"...individuals now use the claim ‘detox’ to promote everything from foot patches to hair straighteners, they are unable to provide reliable evidence or consistent explanations of what the ‘detox’ process is supposed to be."
http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/index.php/site/project/14/
NHS advice to aid sleep.
http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/over60s/pages/thesleepclinic.aspx
community
Grafter

It is true that as you get older there is no longer a need for a full 8 hours of sleep, in fact more than a few will make you wake up feeling like a zombie.
This has happend to me on a couple of occasions  Sad
I am in my 70's now and find that  I need only 6 hours at the most...in fact there are some occasions when if I go to bed earlier than normal (normal is about 11 to 11.30) I still wake up after 6 hours  Smiley and have to lie awake from about 5 o'clock until my normal rise at 6.  Smiley
Main thing is not to worry about the occasional hiccup.
Everything usually comes right in the end.
At my age, I am always thankful to wake up!!! Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hey Poppy.... save yourself loads of money...... stay up all night on the "odd nights" and go to sleep on the "even" nights ! !  Grin Grin Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you must get a lot of sleep Gerry, very odd person.
Got 55% of todays video uploaded to my web space, will PM you with address for a look see
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Nah!.... think I am still suffering from my watchkeeping duties when I was in the R.N. ! ! !  irregular working patterns, and even more irregular sleep patterns.... takes a long time to get out of the system !... (left the navy in 1972 ! ! !  Cheesy )
mentalist3d
Grafter

my mate has been out the army for about 8 years, and every time I visit his house, it is absolutely spotless, and everything is stored in a regimental  fashion, he blames it on the army, he never got out the routine, its like he's still staying in the barracks Smiley