Did you mean: 

Alright lads....

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Alright lads....

... and even ladies.

Who remembers buying their first suit.

I must have been about sixteen when bought my first one out of a catalogue my Mum ran.

It was light grey, had turn-ups as they all did in those days and was made I think of some very lightweight material. I still have the photograph somewhere of me wearing it and with of course the then obligatory aluminium comb sticking out of the top pocket. Had to keep that then retro Teddy Boy quiff in place!

You had to measure yourself of course but really it was not a bad fit, not a bad fit at all. 

Cost? Absolutely no idea, but I did have to pay my Mum about a pound a week for it on top of handing over half of my weeks wages, something which kids don't seem to do these days. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
12 REPLIES 12
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Alright lads....

Never bought a suit, worn a few reluctantly (I hate suits, too stuffy and stiff, not my sort of clothing!!!), but that was for the mother's last wedding in the 90s and a couple funerals, but those were rented, so, they never stuck around...

Mav
Fixes: 431

I bought my first suit from, I think, Burtons in 1978. It was tailor-made and fitted my tall, skinny frame quite well. It had a waistcoat and I thought I was the bees-knees wearing it? I think it cost somewhere in the region of £70.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Yep, it was a settee and two chairs from some department store, can't remember which ...

Oh hang on that's a suite (possibly even the feminine of suit before gender confusion became a thing).

Like twocvbloke suits are not my style so I've never bought one, sorry.  Cheesy

Unlike twocvbloke though, I've never hired one either - nowt wrong with a pair of jeans, weddings, funerals or whatever.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

First suit, for my wedding in 1970, was ordered on my future M-i-L's Grattan Mail Order catalogue account. Mid brown 3 piece, and I can still wear it now if needs must. Fortunately for most weddings, funerals etc a suit is no longer de rigueur.

Only other suit I've ever owned is a dark charcoal two piece picked up in a charity shop for £6 about 15 years ago. Made to measure - for someone who must have been exactly the same measurements as me. Still looks as new.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
twocvbloke
Community Veteran

@RobPN wrote:

Unlike twocvbloke though, I've never hired one either - nowt wrong with a pair of jeans, weddings, funerals or whatever.

Technically speaking they were hired for me, rather than by me, cos I don't like suits, so wouldn't put my own money into one... 😂

Mav
Fixes: 431

@twocvbloke wrote:

so wouldn't put my own money into one... 😂

Most come with pockets, though😉

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

My cargo trousers have more pockets, and are more comfy... 😋

Leapy
Aspiring Champion

My first suit was a hand-me-down Mr Fish. That was when fashion was changing each week and it was out of date when it was bought, because it was cheap (£12) and old-fashioned. A bit like this one  - Groovy baby very Austin Powers Funny

fishvanda.jpg

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

I presume they made that suit out of carpet scraps?? 🤣

Leapy
Aspiring Champion

@twocvbloke Best heavy wool Axminster with the itchy feel of jute 😉 Gravy Booby

Leapy
Aspiring Champion

@Minivanman The dog comb was behind the arty folded square 😁 and folding was a real skill!

pocket-squares.jpg

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Leapy wrote:

fishvanda.jpg

If he lay down on this sofa he'd be almost invisible.