cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allo ! Allo! Allo ! What`s going on `ere then?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Allo ! Allo! Allo ! What`s going on `ere then?

It was recently reported on BBC Wales, that armed police with submachine guns were on patrol in a South Wales City..... When the reporter asked the chief constable "Why have we got armed police on the streets?"
he was told
" to show a presence, and to re-assure the public"
SO..... The thought is this.... If you saw armed police wandering around your town or city, would you feel re-assured......? Huh  Roll eyes  Huh
Or ..
Would the fact that they are wandering around the streets, (on patrol) make you say to yourself....  " Hello Hello Hello. whats going on `ere then... ?"
and do exactly the opposite to re-assuring you that "everythings alright sir/madam"    Huh Roll eyes Huh
15 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Allo ! Allo! Allo ! What`s going on `ere then?

I would not be re-assured by armed police.
I would wonder what had happened and worry about was going to happen Huh
pierre_pierre
Grafter

It is said they are trying to stop them committing suicide.  Grin Roll eyes  .Mind you I live virtually on top of Styansted, not that I ever hear them, it only takes me 18 min to get there, but it does keep me comfortable to see them walking around there fully armed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Years ago the flights to Israel from Gatwick went from a special gate by domestic departures. At that time the police presence around the airport was normally fairly discrete. The first time I went to catch a flight to Newcastle when there was a Tel Aviv flight departing the departure lounge had a number of police officers with automatics - I did not find that reassuring!
A friend of mine was a police inspector (now retired). He was going in to a town on a Friday evening - his colleagues were concerned that he wanted to leave his protective gear in the van and just wear normal uniform. His attitude was that police being prepared for trouble provoked trouble. He preferred to look as low key as possible and defuse situations. That evening was one of the quietest the local offices had known - coincidence?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

At airports, it is somewhat a "double edged sword".... In one way, nice to see them prepared for action, on the other hand, when the action starts, I don`t want to be anywhere near them.....  Roll eyes
was that police being prepared for trouble provoked trouble.
Unquote
Yes, that can well be the case, especially on a friday night in town centres.... Sad
Generally, though, If I saw armed police walking around a town centre, daytime, or evening, I would be far from re-assured..... Sad
pcoventry
Grafter

When we went to spain I felt uncomfortable with Police with guns. Maybe it's because I'm not used to it I don't know..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Police with guns at airports is a difficult one. In former employment I was in airport security in Terminal 4 Heathrow, which had a huge number of US passengers (pax in airport speak) who were almost to a man only surprised that all police were not armed, they generally were reassured that "some" police were armed at all. Although in practice, as staff inside the building we saw armed police for only a few minutes a day on walking patrols, on any given day there may have been 8 two man (and WPC's) patrols covering the whole airport. But I do remember the buzz among staff when they were first introduced on "public display"
But a funny story: On one security alert, the army was called in to show an armed presence, and they left a Scorpion tank parked outside, in the slot allocated to staff car park buses, and it for whatever reason broke a track coming to a stop, and was stuck there for several days after the army exercise was finished. Some of the more amused staff would shout up to the sweating and red faced squadie in the turret "Oi mate you've got a flat track" The tank was eventually removed after REME arrived with some sledge hammers and a fair bit of muscle over brain, and hammered a new cross pin into the track.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pcoventry
Grafter

I am suprised that they would leave someone in the tank for that amount of time.
Community Veteran

They were afraid that local scrap metal merchants would take it away.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

PS. some wag pasted a (used) parking ticket on it.

N/A

I don't think I'd be comforted by armed police on patrol, but thats probably because I wouldn't be aware of a situation requiring them to be armed.
If there was a good reason for them being there and armed, I'd be glad they were there, and worried that so was I!
Routine patrols being armed does seem a little scary - perhaps they were acting on some sort of intelligence that they couldn't reveal?
James
Grafter

When I lived in Colombia, there would be security with machine guns on the golf course.
I just accepted it as one of those things and it didn't bother me.
Community Veteran

James_H It was something we grew accustomed to, that two large armed policemen (or WPC's) in full body armour would be seen slowly walking through the terminal which in the case of Terminal 4 took some time (it's a 1/3rd of a mile long open space) As security staff we were on nodding terms with most of them, but unlike the local (beat) police and dog handlers they wern't very chatty. But as to why they were there, was never actually discussed by us, we just accepted it, But that could have been a symptom of the job.
Personally, I left the job a number of months before 9/11, the main threat then was from the IRA, who you may recall fired off several mortars from the car park of a local hotel, fortuitously none of which went off, 1 hit Terminal 4, on a roof of one of the premium class lounges, another landed in a taxiway just outside T4 (this was all well covered in the media, so I'm not disclosing anything sensitive)

pierre_pierre
Grafter

When I lived in Colombia, there would be security with machine guns on the golf course.

or is it like the Columbians they are growing a lot of hash  Huh
James
Grafter

I think you'll find that there is no county called Columbia.
British Columbia is a state in Canada though?