cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Year Summer Time

Community Veteran

All Year Summer Time

The government is considering moving the clocks forward all year round.  This has been discussed many times over the years and is being looked at again.
There are numerous advantages but also a few disadvantages to be considered.
Summer Time
39 REPLIES
idlewis
Grafter

Re: All Year Summer Time

Yes  there are disadvantages for Scotland where I live because it will be darker in the mornings for children.
wacky17
Grafter

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Community Veteran

it is broke and it needs fixing.  it's been broke ever since a trial to keep the same time all year for a couple of years was abandoned and we went back to this idiotic twice yearly change, which disrupts our body clocks and accounts for who knows how much illness as people try to readjust?
the twice yearly change was introduced at the beginning of the 20th century.  it's a failed experiment and can we please get rid of it now?
Community Veteran

Quote from: idlewis
Yes  there are disadvantages for Scotland where I live because it will be darker in the mornings for children.

But presumably lighter in the evenings Undecided
Community Veteran

It will also be darker in the evenings if you don't change.  The amount of daylight won't change (I know that sounds obvious, but comments like "Plunging Dundee into darkness..." just make the speaker sound dense)  I can remember going to school in the dark in the 70's when it was tried before, and it wasn't so bad, and since most kids seem to be driven to school these days, I can't see the problem.
Bear in mind that under the present system, it's getting dark by 3:30, so many kids are walking home in the dark (or worse in the twilight, which is much worse - at least in the dark, most motorists have lights on).  What's the difference?
John
nadger
Rising Star

We oldies remember Double British Summertime with a 2 hour difference  Cool
Personally i wouldn't mind it staying at current + 1 hour on a permanent basis but, there again, I rarely get up before 8.30am  Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: artificer
it's been broke ever since a trial to keep the same time all year for a couple of years was abandoned and we went back to this idiotic twice yearly change, which disrupts our body clocks and accounts for who knows how much illness as people try to readjust?

Have you researched this and if so can you share the evidence? I thought it was more to do with the number of hours of daylight than the changing of the clocks.
Also there are just as many countries that change their clocks as don't so if it does cause illness why haven't these countries stopped doing it?
Community Veteran

It would nice to get some summer with summertime!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Im sure I talked about this a while back, Cant remember if it would benefit the rural areas up here in scotland though or not, Dundee being plunged into darkness wouldnt be a bad thing.
Scots would be waking up in darkness with daylight emerging as late as 09.30AM!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Oddball
It would nice to get some summer with summertime!

@Oddball - Nice one.
I felt summer was over by end of June this year. SWMBO was a bit cold this evening, suggested I "light the fire" so just handsawn a few logs (old injun saying, "he who cuts wood gets warm twice").
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and dont forget that  the reast of the EU also  have summer  time
Steve
Seasoned Pro

The move will affect scottish farming Undecided
Edit. Spelling
Community Veteran

Do you mean "affect"? and how will it affect it?
Aberdeen Angus cattle will over sleep, because it's dark?
Because there's less daylight (due to Dundee being plunged into darkness) the winter wheat won't grow? Crazy
I don't understand.
Community Veteran

The move will not be good for everyone, there will be winners and losers.  Also if we stay on BST all year we will still be out of step with Europe for part of the year so business will still not be happy.  We mustn't forget also that there is more than one time zone in Europe which will still cause difficulties.
@hulls some valid points, yes I think he does mean 'affect' Wink