cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alex Salmond could be coming...

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Alex Salmond could be coming...

Down to Westmonster, aren't you all lucky. I just hope that place doesn't corrupt him :/ and what a thought. Alex Salmond as prime minister lol, who would of knew.
Alex Salmond has revealed he is considering standing for a seat at Westminster in next year’s General Election.
The First Minister, who announced that he would stand down after defeat in the independence referendum, said he had not ruled out the possibility.
Asked on the BBC’s Question Time if he would consider a return to Westminster, he told the host David Dimbleby: "The answer to your question David, absolutely decisively I can tell you I haven't made up my mind. So you'll have to wait and see.
"But I tell you what, when I do make up my mind, you invite me back on to Question Time and I'll tell you why I did it."
Asked if that meant the move was “not a closed door", Mr Salmond said: "You can take that from what I've just told you David, that's right".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/11184597/Alex-Salmond-considers-st...
28 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Alex Salmond could be coming...

Would this be a good thing or a bad thing ?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

A bit "two faced" to my thinking....
Here is a man... who ... stands in front of his own people, exhorting them that he is the man that will lead Scotland, and he can do this because he does not think England should .....
and then he loses his job....
and then .... he thinks.... aha... I know..... I`ll get a job in the English Parliament, if Scotland doesn`t want me...
Community Veteran

It's to be expected.
He's a career politician so he's not about to let scruples get in the way.
And his strongly held beliefs are a limp effort compared to his strongly held grip on a pay packet.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: TORPC
Would this be a good thing or a bad thing ?Huh

Bad.
As shutter says, he lost his chance for real power over his own people so now wants power over the english.
The man is nothing but trouble.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: shutter
He didn't lose his job. Remember Alex Salmond made his name at Westmonster, as MP for Banff and Buchan for 23 years (1987-2010).

two factors will be in his mind.
First, his personal standing in Scotland means that whichever seat he stands in the chances of the SNP winning will be much, much higher. We saw this in 2011, when Mr Salmond’s decision to stand for the Scottish parliament in Aberdeenshire East boosted the SNP ticket throughout the area — to the Lib Dems’ cost.
Secondly, the chances of the SNP making a breakthrough at Westmonster on the back of Labour’s collapse in Scotland means the Nationalists could wield significant influence in the event of a second hung parliament. An SNP delegation of c.15+ MPs could end up being far more powerful than Nigel Farage’s Ukip.
Community Veteran

Quote from: M
Quote from: shutter
He didn't lose his job. Remember Alex Salmond made his name at Westmonster, as MP for Banff and Buchan for 23 years (1987-2010).

Erm..... resigning? = keeping your job?  no.... I don`t think so... I think it means "not doing it anymore.cos I resigned... "  i.e  Resignation = job loss...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11110051/Telegraph-reporters-barred-fro...

Mr Salmond used the afternoon press conference, which was held at his official residence at Bute House, Charlotte Square, Edinburgh,
to announce his resignation as first minister.

also...if he is planning to "stand" for a "seat" in the English parliament... then he must be jobless, and looking for work in England... as he no longer has a job in Scotland...

Steve
Seasoned Pro

He 'stood down ' as FM he hasn't lost anything he even said he isn't leaving politics.
Community Veteran

Well he should - he's nothing but trouble that bloke.
Community Veteran

His "job" ... ( if that is what you call it).. was FM  and if he has " stood down" in your words... or in his own words  " resigned " .. then he has lost his job ... plain enough...
and to back up this...... from the BBC... confirms that he has lost his job as First Minister....AND leader of the SNP....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29618913

Nicola Sturgeon will succeed Alex Salmond as leader of the SNP, ..........................

Ms Sturgeon, also set to become Scotland's first female first minister,

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: 7up
Well he should - he's nothing but trouble that bloke.
Liverpool would disagree with you having watched last nights program. He's a more trusted politician than the current lot down there. Fair to say Scotland is now at war with Westminster It's a well known tactic to work with the enemy after all  Smiley
Community Veteran

Trusted? The bloke wanted to break up the united kingdom, leave england with scottish debt, claim all north sea oil reserves as scottish and then make cuts to scottish services.
You say he's trustable?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

David Cameron’s trust ratings in Scotland stand at -47 per cent and Ed Miliband’s stand at -49 per cent – while Nigel Farage is distrusted 81 per cent of people in Scotland with overall trust ratings of -68 per cent.
In contrast, a recent Panelbase showed strong levels of trust in senior SNP figures – with Alex Salmond having a net trust rating of +18 per cent and Nicola Sturgeon enjoying trust ratings of +21 per cent.
This follows on from a TNS poll last week showing Nicola Sturgeon as the most trusted politician on more powers for Scotland – compared to just one per cent who trusted Ed Miliband.
Community Veteran

Ratings, polls, stastistics.. you and I both know they can be fiddled to reflect anything.
Granted, nobody trusts the current leaders down here but that doesn't mean that Alex Salmond was really any better Steve. You of all people know what politicians are like and the false promises they'll make to get their bit of power. Don't be fooled by the fact that he's scottish - his interests were for his own welfare.
Community Veteran

Exactly.... for his own welfare.... to ensure he still maintains his current standard of living.... he is looking for a paypacket from the English.... can`t be many job opportunities in Scotland for a FAILURE at his level....