Aldi Sunday special (July 10th)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Aldi Sunday special (July 10th)

24 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Aldi Sunday special (July 10th)

What don't you believe about it?
"I don't believe it" will be what you are shouting when you connect an electronic device, and the generator blows it because its unregulated. You need to spend 10x that amount on an Honda "Inverter" leisure generator to get something decent. And that will still get you ostracised on a camp site!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I saw one of those generators on ebay a while back going as spares or repair as it was dead.
Personally I'd prefer to take my chances with a lawnmower engine and a regulated alternator hooked up to an inverter.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you would
Community Veteran

well there's plenty of how to's online so why not?
Better than some unregulated heap of ...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how do you come to that conclusion?
Alternative power source for remote work sites or jobs with no ready electricity supply. Also handy for caravanning, boating, domestic power cuts and more.
    Maximum output 800W at 230V
    Constant output 650W at 230V
    Engine: 2HP, 2 stroke
    Starting system recoil (electric ignition)
    Fuel type: 50:1 petrol/oil mix
    Speed: 3600rpm
    AC power output 1 x 230V/13 amp socket
    DC power output: 12V battery charging lead and clips facility
    Maximum fuel tank capacity: 4 litres
Community Veteran

Well I agree it looks nice and the price especially but seriously, would you trust such a cheap generator to be so reliable? - I wouldn't especially after seeing one on ebay a week or two back that was dead (although in fairness it was looking battered, bruised, covered in paint etc).
Dunno.. if its that good then why do Honda and Toyota etc make generators that cost so much more?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its about time you started looking at Lidl and Aldi, they have new itemes twice a week, look and make your mind up you dont have to buy
They dont do mail order
http://www.aldi.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.lidl.co.uk
Community Veteran

I do look at them frequently though not weekly. Months ago they had welders which quite a few people i know (including me) were semi interested in but after doing some research we had feedback they would be like a chocolate teapot.. but I have noticed they both do some very good stuff on ocassions. Sometimes you can't beat german stuff but its like everything... sometimes you get real bargains and other times the bargains are shoddy.
Gotta admit i personally like the look of the little generator.. its small, convenient looking and has a massive 800W output.. but at that price i really don't see it being reliable for long which is why I'd be reluctant to touch it even though it has a 3 year warranty.
I'd love to be proven wrong by someone though.. Anyone buying one?
nadger
Rising Star

We've shopped, once a week, at Aldi since the " cash only" days and have only once returned a faulty item. We have a branch under 1.5 miles from us.
Generators and welders aren't, however, things on my shopping list.
jmd
Grafter

Not on my shopping list either! Cheesy
but I too have had some good things from Aldi - not just groceries but a nice radio controlled clock, pillows and plants for garden!  The staff are always polite and helpful at my local branch.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: okrzynska

Gotta admit i personally like the look of the little generator.. its small, convenient looking and has a massive 800W output.. but at that price i really don't see it being reliable for long which is why I'd be reluctant to touch it even though it has a 3 year warranty.
I'd love to be proven wrong by someone though.. Anyone buying one?

800W is the MAXimum output.....  650 is "constant".... and hardly "massive"..... you would not get a 1 bar electric fire to even look like it was warm.... not sure about trying an electric kettle on it either... or a toaster... might be able to run a "low power" microwave on it for a short period... (at 500w)...
so that leaves you with a few "low wattage" bulbs, and charging a 12volt car battery... BUT... not both at the same time.....
Think about what sort of "power" requirements you need and whether you need to run them all at the same time, then add them up, and then..... go and buy a decent one that has "spare capacity" above what you "think" you need....
Community Veteran

I literally only want one for two things - lighting (shed and portable flood lights for car work) and perhaps running a small computer setup in the shed if i can ever clear it of clutter - would be nice to be able to play some music out there in the garden.
The Aldi generator could supply the flood lights (and only those) or a light in the shed during the winter months but it would be a bit limiting.. but then it has the other side of being small and portable.
I'd personally prefer something which is both small and portable but can output a lot more power. Sadly I doubt thats a combination i'll find anywhere.
Community Veteran

Another consideration is noise, being a 2 stroke engine it will not be quiet. I tried to look for the decibel (dB) level if this generator but couldn't spot it on the website.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you could go  mad and buy one of these
http://www.powercraft.us/

the Aldi one is noisy up to 95dBa,  also quoted 65dBa
some price comparisons http://uk.shopping.com/powercraft-generators-review/products