cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airliner ( and other `planes ) design

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Airliner ( and other `planes ) design

I have a "mild" interest in aircraft, .... today I saw a pic of a Korean Cargo Plane landing at Schipol Airport.

EDIT EDIT EDIT..... ADD IN CORRECT PHOTO ! ! ! doh ! !...

http://www.jetphotos.net/photo/8277657

which made me think  "why did they put the flight deck so far back, giving the pilots a reduced "close up" view of the ground due to the "big nose" area infront and below the line of sight....  I have been told that pilots often cannot see the ground less than 5 miles in front of them at 2, 000 feet... !... must be really difficult to land a plane with that reduced vision area... 

However,... I then saw this pic...

http://www.jetphotos.net/photo/8261131

And thought that was  a much better design... however, again, the forward and below vision will still be restricted, though, less so...

Perhaps it goes back to the days of two seater aircraft, where the pilot sat in the rear seat   ? ? ? ? ?  how weird... and the passenger sat in the front seat.... 

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Airliner ( and other `planes ) design

Did you pick the right photo? Looks just like a standard airliner to me.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Oops... seems to have lost the Korean Cargo Plane... so have edited it back in ...... Thanks ! ! ..

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Pilots are very adept at looking forward and downwards over the side of the cockpit to view the approaching ground. It was like this in tail-draggers of old too.

David
PowerLee
Rising Star

The 747 cockpit is there due to a quirk in the design, as part of the cargo conversion there would be a large opening nose section that allows access for easy cargo loading / unloading.

Remember the 747 was originally designed as a military prototype cargo carry transport aircraft.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

On some recent flights I have been on there has been TV cameras available to the passengers over the entertainment system. One of these was the view forward and I have used it when landing. Quiet entertaining Smiley

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

If you look carefully - you can see the line where the nose door is - it goes down from near the cockpit to a point midway between the nosewheel and the very front of the nose.

When the 747 first came out the extra height off the ground was one of the issues that needed extra care.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Shutter this is one site i aquire some photos from  search is good on web page

http://www.airliners.net/

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .