cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airline Christmas Treat

Fixes: 47

Airline Christmas Treat

I don't mind admitting this brought tears to my eyes.
http://www.faithit.com/airline-secret-santa-surprise-passengers-westjet/
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Airline Christmas Treat

Beautiful Smiley Smiley
I'm flying at the weekend - wonder if I'll get a present Undecided
Loved their Flash Mob as well:
Flash Mob
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Americans waste their money on crap!
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran

Really!! Firstly it's Canadian not American. Secondly, at the last count it had 15M hits on YouTube. I'd say that is good publicity for a very small spend.
Bah Humbug Smiley
I like Flashmobs. One of my favourites from a few years ago was the T. Mobile/BA.
BA Flashmob
Now that one did cost a few bob to produce.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

yeah its a pretty cool thing to do for not much cost and it makes a difference to people, especially as people got the one thing they said they wanted most Smiley
besides if more airlines did stuff like that people wouldn't mind paying what seems like overinflated prices  Wink
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
besides if more airlines did stuff like that people wouldn't mind paying what seems like overinflated prices  Wink

Airfares are amongst the cheapest form of travel.  Just look at rail fares.
This week I booked a return flight to the US and got a price of £460.  Of this £330 was tax so the airline actually charged £130 - for a journey of around 9000 miles Smiley
nanotm
Pro

some flights you can get incredibly cheap prices on but its far more normal for transatlantic flights to cost over a grand each way
Community Veteran

Not true.  Just look at sites like Expedia, Flight-booker etc and you will find transatlantic flights are readily available for between £450 - 700. If you are prepared to travel by an indirect route they can be even lower.
James
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Of this £330 was tax so the airline actually charged £130 - for a journey of around 9000 miles Smiley

Which is roughly what a train ticket from London to Aberdeen will cost!
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: artmo
Not true.  Just look at sites like Expedia, Flight-booker etc and you will find transatlantic flights are readily available for between £450 - 700. If you are prepared to travel by an indirect route they can be even lower.

indeed those are often special prices but its also just as common to find flights that are double the price regardless of airline or route particularly when pre booking, of course the cut price offer sites have made a lot of things far more accessible but the discounts never apply to the taxes  (because they use that for fuelling the plane)  its a miss advertisement that has never been remedied like the 1p seats a few years ago on Ryan air which actually cost £50 each way (which was actually £10 more than a standard flight with them)  air travel might well have dropped in price compared to other modes but it can still be cheaper to float across the ocean on a leisurely cruise (particularly when return cabins can be had for under £400 and include a week at port in the USA that being fully inclusive of taxes and buffet meals twice a day) sure rail travel is exorbitant and the rail network needs to be re-nationalised to sort things out but given so many political puppets are so keen to point out it would be illegal to prevent capitalism (greed at any cost) of private enterprise its unlikely to ever happen, of curse they always forget to mention how much in subsidies are given to airlines to ensure cheap flights in efforts to maintain a steady flow of tourism ........
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Artmo is correct and worldwide too
I regularly travel from Jeddah to Heathrow and never pay the advertised price I am travelling on next Wednesday BA World Traveller Plus for 450 quid and can usually match that. I am also travelling from Kings Cross for 60 quid first class on East Coast on an advance purchase ticket! 
bargains are always there if you do your research!
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 125

Quote from: PeterLoftus
@Artmo is correct and worldwide too

Can it be true?
Dare I say it...
Is artmo really Santa Clause? Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

The prices I quoted are also available directly from the airline sites and not just the discount sites. Don't know when you last crossed the Atlantic but things may have changed Wink
I'm not a Ryanair fan indeed I've never used them but you're wrong on their cheap tickets.  I have friends who went abroad many weekends for 1p.  That was the fare so long as you didn't take hold baggage.  They're no longer available AFAIK.
I can't see where you are getting your 'cruise' prices from.  A quick Gogle search is showing prices around £2000 even on a cargo carrying ship. The turnround time in NY as an example is 2 days. Also arriving in the US is not covered by the ESTA scheme so that will add a further £150 to the costs for a visa. Where have you seen the £400 fare?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@ Artmo
Why do you travel to the USA every so often?
Which states do you go to?
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran

Mainly for pleasure but with a little bit of business thrown in.  I go mainly to N. Carolina and Florida.