cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aircraft carrier deal

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Aircraft carrier deal

Remember how Gordon Brown locked us into the aircraft carrier deal - saying it would have cost as much to scrap them as rebuild them.
The cost is being reported up from £4bn then £5bn and now £7bn.
Do we actually need them?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Aircraft carrier deal

Did he negotiate it personally then?  Shocked
I wonder how much of the increase is due to the changed specification (for catapults etc. as decided by the current government). Changing anything once you've started making it is never the most cost-effective option.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

"Do we actually need them.? "
YES.... we do.... and we need more frigates, destroyers, and cruisers............... and we need more types of aircraft for the RAF other than "trainers".... and we need more "usable" equipment for the Army and Marines too....
However, each government will decide to make cuts, and eventually someone will decide to take over europe again, and what do you know.... suddenly the government of the day seems to be able to say... ooh deary me,  we need a proper defence force quickly....
It is all the previous governments fault, because they cut everything down to "save money".... Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Agree with you regarding frigates, destroyers etc.
Wondered if the demise of "the carrier" was approaching.
Like Battleships of a few decades ago
tinto
Grafter

I don't recall Gordon Brown trying to scrap the carriers, his government was the driving force behind building them, I believe it was the current defence minister who said it would cost more to scrap the contract than complete it.
Anyway, it's all academic now since the ConDems scrapped the only aircraft we had that could use the carriers
Will we ever need them?  I'd like to think not but.........