Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Airbus A330 automatic landing.

Autopilot engaged until after landing.

https://youtu.be/j2WHVjP60Gg

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Airbus A330 automatic landing.

Very impressive but I thought Heathrow had had the capability for a while. It made landing in bad weather trouble free. The problem was taxiing the aircraft on the ground when the pilots couldn't see where they were going.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Indeed Heathrow has. The Hawker Trident (as it was then) had the capability in 1968. However the worlds first fully automatic landing in service with passengers aboard was made at Paris by a Sud-Est Caravelle in January 1969.

I believe the passengers were not told until afterwards.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Minivanman
Hero

I wonder how they would cope with kangaroos on the runway when landing in Australia?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40416606

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@petlew  @artmo

Oh aye. I'm aware that ALS have been around for a long time. Nice video though.

Would you fly in a pilotless aircraft?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@nozzer Having been a regular viewer of "Air crash Investigation" on Sky Discovery channel for a number of years, and noted SOME of the flight crews attitude to safety rather than polishing their ego's, I think the answer to your question must be "yes" - sometimes -.

However, aircraft maintenance in many cases has been a bit suspect as well. I distinctly remember the episode (recently aired again) that investigated the use of counterfeit parts, and that some such safety critical parts ended up on Air Force One!!. One hopes that there isn't a market for counterfeit auto land systems.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.