cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airbus 380 collides with Comair jet on ground

Fixes: 125

Airbus 380 collides with Comair jet on ground

Air France jet clips small plane at New York airport
The smaller Comair jet could be seen spinning violently on its wheels as a shower of sparks fell from the impact point just after 2000 on Monday.

No-one was injured.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Airbus 380 collides with Comair jet on ground

Methinks that Ground Control has some explaining to do, as to why the smaller plane had not cleared the runway properly, in time for the Air France to pass safely.  Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I bet someones gonna get some points on their licence  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: shutter
Methinks that Ground Control has some explaining to do,

@Shutter:- Agree with you,  I'd guess ground control thought they were dealing with a 747 (65m wingspan) and not a 380 (80m).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the comment was made that a lot of airfields are not big enough for the Airbus, and they did not think that New York was.  The stuck plane was clearly on a side taxiway and the tip of the Airbus wing struck the smaller planes tail fin
Community Veteran

JFK is approved to take the Airbus A380.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

but the report I heard was that JFK only just meet the requirements
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and this report http://www.cnbc.com/id/42562020
Fourteen airports have obtained waivers from the Federal Aviation Administration to receive the new Boeing 747-8, which falls into the same new size class as the A380, The Associated Press reported this week. And Boeing is working with 13 more airports to get approval from the FAA, though not all of them may require waivers.
Most U.S. airports cannot legally handle the A380 or 747-8 because of FAA space requirements aimed at keeping planes from bumping into each other. But the FAA can issue waivers if airport officials agree to certain procedures, such as using only certain taxiways or halting other traffic when one of these mammoth planes is on the move.
Many of the airports asking for permission to handle the Boeing 747-8 may have trouble handling them, especially when aircraft are turning, Tamm said.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Think shutter's right about ground control. Can't honestly believe they didn't know an A380 was moving about the airfield. So what was the DC9 doing (apparently) at a standstill that close to the taxiway?
If you look carefully a ground pick-up vehicle (with flashing light) passes quite close in front of the DC9 in complete disregard of the rules "of the road" at airport aprons where moving aircraft have unlimited right of way, even blue-light emergency vehicles have to give way.
I recall when driving around airside at Heathrow that we had to give hundreds of yards leeway to taxing aircraft, if there were multiple aircraft one behind the other you could be stuck at an intersection for some time.
I have a £1 that says the pick-up driver in the news clip has some questions to answer.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

I noticed the 380 stopped very quickly immediately after the incident. Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Another Air France story.  Wreckage has been found from a crash that happened in 2009.  228 people died when the plane went down in the Atlantic.
2009 Crash

pierre_pierre
Grafter