Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air in your Car

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Air in your Car

Can a car run on air ?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2266632/Peugeot-Citroen-Coming-soon-car-runs-air.html
or is it just another Daily mail story ?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Air in your Car

No it's true. I heard about this a couple of years ago. It started off in India of all places and wasn't supposed to spread over here but it was only a matter of time before money spoke.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Super CON ! ! .... ha ha ha ... gotcha.... Shocked
just read the second line,,.... it contains 5 words, that  show this as a con..... 

runs on petrol and air,

Nothing new there, then.....  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Basically, a bus!! The bus uses compressed air, in tanks, but not for running the engine. Just for doors, and locking the brakes off. So all they are doing is re-engineering a bus design.
If it works, great. We really need an engine that runs off hot air...... Play recordings of parliament today and BANG...perpetual motion. Grin
alanf
Aspiring Pro

My reading of this is that when braking instead of losing the energy as heat it is stored as compressed air. Then that energy is used later to supplement the petrol engine allowing it to run at a more constant load.
With buses a similar effect is achieved with flywheels.
I am baffled how a significant amount of energy can be stored as compressed air. Wouldn't the tanks have to be large and heavy?  What about the risk of explosion in case of a mishap?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Think there may be some confusion over this, a few years ago the idea of using compressed air to run cars was being looked at in India so there would have to be some way of refilling the tanks but this latest idea that the French car maker is looking at is a combination of a conventional engine but with the addition of an air tank with the compressed air being generated by the car under certain circumstances.
Interesting to see if they succeed  Smiley
Community Veteran

We need a proper spritely answer here mentioning the compressed air powered locomotives  such as the engine used in the St Gotthard rail tunnel circa 1875.
There are also compressed air power stations (small) which transfer off-peak electricity energy into compressed air stored deep under ground which is then played back to generate power during periods of peak demand.
I've also come across a compressed air powered UPS, if I recollect correctly it has the trade name of Air Battery.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.