Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air conditioning

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Air conditioning

Has anyone ever used those diy car air conditioning kits to rejuvenate their system.

They are a bit on the pricy side, so if they don’t work it money down the drain, some also include a sealant in case there is a small leak in the system.

Any thoughts on this….

Would you use one ?

Car is 10 years old so no warranty issues….

Yes I could just open the windows but stuck in traffic for well over a hour today in this heat with windows open made little difference.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
5 REPLIES 5
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Air conditioning

You need to double check which refrigerant your car uses.

R134 is for older vehicles but over the last 8 to 10 years R1234YF has appeared - the filling adaptors between both types are different. 

There is normally an information sticker under the bonnet that will specify the air conditioning refrigerant type used.

FWIW: A lot of fast fit places can top up automotive A/C systems pretty cheaply if its R134 based.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Dunno... but I just googled... "How much doe an aircon service cost... "  and this page from KWIK FIT has some interesting information... particularly as there are different gases used in different systems,.... apparently 0

https://www.kwik-fit.com/air-conditioning

Scroll down to 

How much is an air con recharge?  and the next paragraph  How do I know which air con gas I require?

Put your reg in the "numberplate" and the click "continue" next to it... and it tells you which gas you need.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@shutter 

Thanks, checked out that link only to get the message we could not identify the type of gas used in your vehicle…..

There is a big difference between the new and old type of gas….

Will do a search on the internet as the info is likely to be there, likely on one of the Nissan forums.

Seems there is a mobile service available so work can be done at your home or place of work.

Cost seems reasonable compared to garage prices….so will look further into this.

Thanks.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Gas info would certainly be required but do shop around. I ended up paying about £30 at one of these places on an industrial estate (saw an ad while driving by) and they did the biz. But if the car needs the older gas you might find it unobtainable (phased out for a reason) or only available at a dealer. Either way it will probably cost you.

As to leaks, it tends to be the seals gone, as a fair number of people don't run the A/C during the winter. The seals dry out and start leaking.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@idonno wrote:

As to leaks, it tends to be the seals gone, as a fair number of people don't run the A/C during the winter. The seals dry out and start leaking.

For those who don't use their air conditioning during the winter, here's a good reason to use it (demisting).