Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Training Corps memories

randpwar
Grafter

Air Training Corps memories

I thought this deserved its own thread rather than clogging up the one below
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108767.0.html
I was always interested in planes, always building Airfix models and the like and scouting, at the time but most definitely not now according to my two Sea Scouts, was a bit twee.
@petlew....My Grandmother lived 5 miles from REF Leeming where when I was visiting one time in the early/mid sixties (I think) I heard a sudden deafening roar and looked up to see an English Electric Lightening. Absolutely made my holiday
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Air Training Corps memories

Unfortunately randwpar, the other thread seems to have exhausted the supply of ATC memories...shame Sad
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It was just a flight of fancy, anyway !  Cheesy
Fixes: 104

Sorry I was in the Sea Cadet Corps, my memories of ATC was they couldn't march or salute properly Tongue
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Not so in my crowd. Consistently did well in drill displays. At least we didn't have lean down to salute to avoid the t'ween deck ceilings.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Infinity
Pro

nadger
Rising Star

First time I saw Southend pier was upside down in a Chipmunk flying out of Rochester - we either went up in Chipmunks or Tiger Months.
We also went up in Avro Ansons.
Community Veteran

Just going slightly off topic. Many years later the present Mrs P always claimed to be afraid of flying. After much persuasion took to Bembridge airport on the Isle of Whight and dragged her kicking and screaming (not really but she wasn't keen) oboard the "round the island" flight in a DH Dragon Rapide for her first ever flight. She loved it... From that day forward up until disablement made flying a real trial (and travel insurance a four figure premium) she flatly refused to go on holiday anywhere unless it included a lengthy flight there and back.

nadger
Rising Star

I remember Rapides flying in and out of Northolt when it was civilian airport.
I even remember it's bigger brother
First time I flew was also from Isle of Wight. Back in 1949, from Cowes, in an Auster  Smiley
Community Veteran

Notice your wiki link was for the DH Express, I think thats what the Australians called it. I thought we knew it as the Domine

nadger
Rising Star

I think you'll find that Dominie was the RAF name for the Rapide.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: PlusComUK
"You have control" ..... scary.

I know how that feels Lips are sealed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: dvorak
Sorry I was in the Sea Cadet Corps, my memories of ATC was they couldn't march or salute properly Tongue

How very dare you  Smiley.....actually we did have one lad that somehow managed to swing his left leg at the same time as his left arm and same for the right....try it one time; it isn't easy
Community Veteran

That reminds me of a fellow cadet in our Squadron; ever such a nice lad but had suffered a touch of polio, which made one leg rather erratic when walking or "marching" for appearances sake he was always left out of important parades or manned the flag mast when it was going to be used. He was quite tall if I remember so was at one end of a rank when the "tallest on the right shortest on the left" order was given, so when he did do drill, which he did when at "home" base he would always end up in the front rank of a squad. His affliction caused him to march approximately at half the paces to cover the same distance as everybody else and in a slightly sort of crab like drift to the right.
We shouldn't have laughed, but we did like drains when drill collapsed into a heap of cadets trying to stay at pace and right-dress.
In case you think I'm being callous, the lad himself took it all in good part and joined in with the hilarity. His parents were not above the humour either, they taught him to accept his disadvantages and make the best of them. He was probably one of the most well adjusted disable person I've ever met.