cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Passenger Tax

itsme
Grafter

Air Passenger Tax

What are people thoughts on the increase in the Air Passenger Tax?
Under the government's plans, the tax will rise to £85 for Australia and £60 to the US by November next year.

I have in the past use Norwich Airport  to fly to Schiphol to pick up a long haul flights.  I could have got cheaper flights using Gatwick, Heathrow etc but as Norwich is closer the cost to get there and car parking the final cost normally work out to be the same. Also it's a very stress free airport, the check-in desks are normally queue free and the bar is only a few yards away. Look like I could be using this more in the future if the increase in air passenger tax go ahead.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Air Passenger Tax

Schiphol - London's fourth airport ( used to be third until docklands )
Being in Scotland - very many people go there rather than London.
Copenhagen or Frankfurt are two other good alternatives.
itsme
Grafter

Have used both before. Can't remember why I used Frankfurt but been there a couple of times via London not an airport that I like.
itsme
Grafter

The other reason that I prefer Schiphol it's a nice airport as can be seen from the top 10 airports, it's number 8. Surprised to see that Changi has lost the top spot. Hong Kong and Seoul airports have to be something special to do that. I also tried to see if Frankfurt airport is listed in the worst but supposedly I read that this list is harder to do if you include airports like the ones found in Nepal.
TOP AIRPORTS : 2009
1.     Seoul Incheon
2.     Hong Kong
3.     Singapore Changi
4.     Zurich
5.     Munich
6.     Kansai
7.     Kuala Lumpur
8.     Amsterdam
9.     Centrair Nagoya
10.   Auckland

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Can't believe Auckland comes in the top 10. Have flown via it several times. Like many of the worlds airports it has been "upgraded" over the last few years, and like many, it has not improved because of it. Worked at T4 Heathrow (prior to T5) for 11 years (and lived within a mile of it -on the "quieter" side- for several years) and always when possible avoided flying out of or to it, since we were both BAA staff you'd think we would know the wrinkles, unfortunately not usually possible flying to NZ.
Best airport we've passed through? Hong Kong (new one) in fairness as transfer passengers.
Worst airport? Los Angles also as transfer passengers.
Since these days ill health (Mrs petlew) makes flying prohibitively expensive (last trip to NZ her travel insurance went over £1000 and not getting any cheaper, many companies wouldn't insure her at all, then there's mine on top) we are unlikely to venture out of the UK long haul by air now, and certainly wouldn't go without insurance.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Miami is a nightmare and Kennedy wasn't much better the last time I used it.
On the subject of the Air Passenger Tax this was discussed at the G8 yesterday.  It appears we are one of the few countries to impose this tax.  It's got nothing to do with the environment and more to do with being another stealth tax IMO.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@artmo, airport tax is often paid separately as opposed to inclusion in ticket price (as UK) in many airports you have to queue up at a separate desk to pay you airport tax. We've been through dozens of airports, and a tax of some sort is usually levied somehow.
But quite right, airport tax (in the UK) has little to do with environmental issues, more a way of fleecing the passenger, who either pays it or doesn't fly.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

A family of 4 flying to Australia will be paying £340 in tax Shocked  How can this be justified?  I've just paid £290 return for a ticket to the US for September.
As of 1st July the Dutch have scrapped their tax.  They are even giving refunds to passengers who have already paid the tax in advance.
The Dutch Government have recognised that their version of the tax was actually counterproductive for their economy as a whole and that since aviation is a global industry, it also had no meaningful environmental impact on the industry’s global carbon foot-print.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
@artmo, airport tax is often paid separately as opposed to inclusion in ticket price (as UK) in many airports you have to queue up at a separate desk to pay you airport tax. We've been through dozens of airports, and a tax of some sort is usually levied somehow.

Tax and levies are not always include in the ticket price in the UK. Norwich Airport has a levy that you have to pay before you fly and for a number of passengers this could come as a shock. I completely disagree how/why Norwich Airport is doing this and the charge should be included in the ticket price as it will be more transparent when comparing cost of flights from other airports.
Who has to pay?
All passengers departing from Norwich International will be required to pay the development fee:
- Adults £5 each
- Children 2 – 15 years £1 each
- Infants £0
Age applies at time of departure – proof of age may be required.
Where do I buy my ticket?
Payment machines are located in the main airport terminal building. You must purchase your ticket before proceeding through security to Departures in order to be able to fly.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yeah it's sneaky how they do that.
There is a difference between tax and an airport improvement fee though - the latter is applied by the airport, not the government and I assume is on top of the national tax. Toronto airport pulled out that scam when I was flying out from there around 2001-ish .. had to pay $15 at the time.
Of course you don't have a lot of choice in the matter.
The friend I was flying with didn't get why I thought that took the [Censored], and he didn't seem to get it's just more tax on the usual tax.
itsme
Grafter

and in Nepal after paying for a visa to enter the country you then have to pay a fee to leave the country which has to be paid at the airport before you can check in. This fee only apply to foreign nationals
Community Veteran

many airlines are slow to pay their airport fees.  perhaps the airports are using the customers as a way of guaranteeing at least some income?
it's so much easier to bully folk on an individual basis and when your audience is captive, i.e. about to fly, they are more likely to bitch, moan and cough up.
Community Veteran

And, unless it changed recently, you have to pay a £10 Visa fee to enter Turkey - after landing.
In cash - Sterling (if you're British).
At the end of the day governments need money to run countries, this is just one way to get it.
Not telling people in advance is just stupid though, a bit like Luton with it's new "drop-off" parking fee that has caused chaos there.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yep and you also have to pay (about $10 I think) if you're entering the US via a land border.
As I found out when I was in Canada Shocked
You don't if you're flying .. presumably because you've paid in the air fare.
Community Veteran

Since when?
I've crossed from Canada to US (and back) by road several times and never paid anything, though admittedly not in recent years.