cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Filter

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Air Filter

Anyone use or have used K&N air filters ?

The claim is that they increase mpg which could be true as the filter is not enclosed in a housing like the standard filter.

NB: I promise not to ask further questions about cars for the next few months in case I am accused of turning the forum into a motoring forum.

Smiley

12 REPLIES
Long_Al

Re: Air Filter

They also claim to increase prformance; increased performance, less mpg. Simples.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

K&N cone filters or K&N replacement filter elements?

People fit cone filters because they assume that having a filter bolted directly to the throttle body inside a hot engine bay filled with hot air from the hot engine means they now have a "cold air intake", when the vehicle's stock airflow system is more of a cold air intake than the silly cone things, and as a result, the air under the bonnet is less dense, so reduces power, makes you burn more fuel, and drops your MPGs because you're getting a weaker fuel-air mix (as modern cars with MAF sensors will reduce the fuel injected into the cylinders to match the incoming volume of air), so, waste of time, money, paper and petrol...

As for the replacement elements (ones that sit in your vehicle-stock air filter box), I hear good things about them, as you can clean and "re-charge" them rather than just buy one, fit one, bin one, etc., which makes it somewhat greener, not by much, but, just enough... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Any reputable replacement make of Air Filter Element,  WILL Increase the M.P.G. when it is first fitted... after about a month, the difference will be less, as the filter becomes dirty, and has to "work harder" to clean the air provided to the engine.  Just because it has that claim on the box, doesn`t mean it will be more efficient over the life of the filter..  just that for the first few weeks, you "could" claim that it does, indeed increase the M.P.G.

Read the description carefuelly !  ! ! ..Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I've used a K&N on my bike, a lifetime filter, just clean it in petrol and put it back in.
I had a SS one on a Mini about 30 ish years ago. Made a great noise when you put the foot down (1275gt)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Community Veteran

I had a couple of SS/Chromed round filters on my 1200cc Triumph Herald... ( modified the exhaust by using a Spitfire manifold, and twin carbs)... all parts of engine bay pristine, clean, repainted, shiny brass top on radiator, two shiny filters...)

Used to love opening the bonnet at a petrol station , to check the oil, and water... ( not that it needed it  ! ! ! ! ! !)..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Fuel-injected engines will never have their fuel consumption improved by fitting one of these because the ECU works out perfect fuel/air ratio based on the air flow, so even if the air flow increases, the fuel/air ratio will also change to suit. Carburetted engines will probably see an improvement.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

gleneagles wrote:

NB: I promise not to ask further questions about cars for the next few months in case I am accused of turning the forum into a motoring forum.

Doesn't worry me glen, we've had plenty of motoring topics in the past and I suspect there will be plenty in the future - it's a general chat forum, anything goes!

Quite frankly, it's just nice to see some activity here.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

I had a couple of SS/Chromed round filters on my 1200cc Triumph Herald

Best thing I remember about the good old Herald was the turning circle. Most roads a one point turn was a doddle.

Friend had a Vitesse which was a good model to do up. Nice to drive once you fix the "pop up" suspension.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

nozzer wrote:

@gleneagles

You might find this interesting!

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Thanks for the link, some interesting  data in that report.

@7up,

Thanks for the response, one of the key factors in Chat is the variety of topics that come up for discussion, which keeps a larger group of people willing to post topics & replies.

As you say it can get a bit quiet at times but equally I don't want to be seen,'hogging' the forum with new posts or responses.

SmileySmiley

Community Veteran

billnotben wrote:

shutter wrote:

I had a couple of SS/Chromed round filters on my 1200cc Triumph Herald

Best thing I remember about the good old Herald was the turning circle. Most roads a one point turn was a doddle.

Friend had a Vitesse which was a good model to do up. Nice to drive once you fix the "pop up" suspension.

Yes, indeedy... I had a Vitesse 2ltr..... grossly overpowered... but a super car to burn the other guys off the road... ( they thought it was just a triumph herald.... until they noticed the chrome bumber and number plate lights with the word VITESSSE and 2LTR stuck on the boot ! ! ! hee hee  )

Used to remove the roof on sunny days... no. it wasn`t a convertible,... but only 6 bolts to undo and lift it off ! ! ..  (probably illegal, but it was great ! )...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I had a 1972 series 3 landy Smiley  it ran a lot better with a K&N Thumbs Up

sold it a few years back ,, i do miss it

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .