cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Ambulance

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Air Ambulance

Did you know the air-ambulance run their own lottery to raise funds?
http://www.theairambulance.org.uk/ this actually shows the Sussex branch, but other areas have their contact details.
I very rarely subscribe regularly to charities except; air-ambulance and the RNLI.
They are both self funded without any unwanted interfering government input. They need the money. Seems to me a fine use of donated money when its so tight these days. And you may be a winner.
I notice that the RNLI also have a lottery, on a smaller scale though. http://www.rnli.org.uk/how_to_support_us/rnli_lottery/rnli_lottery
They need our support
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
28 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Air Ambulance

Absolutely agree, Petlew.
I was reading somewhere recently that a number of ne'er-do-wells are falsely claiming to be supporting the air ambulance when distributing charity collection sacks - so be careful folks...
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

This is our local one http://www.dsairambulance.org.uk/ and this is link to actual rescues http://www.dsairambulance.org.uk/real-life-stories/ I liked this one
I am writing this in appreciation of your help in getting me to hospital after my altercation with a police car on March 18th.  I am at last free from my surgical dressings and apart from a slight lack of confidence in walking am doing fine.  I am also now driving again!  Thanks and keep up the good work.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: 4C
a number of ne'er-do-wells are falsely claiming to be supporting the air ambulance when distributing charity collection sacks

We get a couple of those a month. They go straight in the bin. If I can I ensure the "collectors" see me do it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

On the Essex Air Ambulance site there is a warning about unauthorised bag collections.
I also support the RNLI.  They do a very important job totally unpaid and often in dangerous conditions.  Men that crew the lifeboats are volunteers with full time jobs elsewhere.
Community Veteran

There has been talk in recent years to join the Herts and Essex air ambulances together and operate from one base.  This has not been agreed as of yet but it makes a lot of sense.  You can see what they do from their websites here:
Essex Air Ambulance
Herts air Ambulance
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the Essex Air ambulance has recently moved from Boreham Airfield where it shared with Essex Police to Earls Colne Airfield, the admin has been there for a while.
And the Essex copter does cover Hertfordshire, it did a pick up in the last week.  Essex run there own lottery
I have had a collection bag through my door recently, you have to read it carefully to see that it only support a private company who might give some the air ambulances in general - steer clear
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sounds like they are in the same position as the MRTs (Mountain Rescue Teams) which are funded by donations from the public.
Not sure if it still applies but these organizations have to pay VAT on all the equipment they buy.
Community Veteran

Such vital services should be government supported.  The hospice movement is a similar case.  It is funded to a maximum of 30% but Cameron has promised to look at their funding. This is particularly important because of the enhanced role they will play in the new NHS shake-up.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It should be funded 100%.
If you took a poll amongst the public  on what the government should / should not spend our money on the priority would be totally different to what it currently spends our money on.
Community Veteran

I agree with you about funding gleneagles but I wonder where it would come in a poll of the wider general public Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

II can never see why the Police helicopter is funded, but the Air Ambulance isnt
Heloman
Grafter

@artmo
Why should we fund gleneagles? I don't think the "wider general public" would agree......
pierre_pierre
Grafter

typical Artmo
pierre_pierre
Grafter

combined Police/ambulance
Wiltshire
Funding

The WAA is a part of a unique arrangement that is only seen in one other part of the UK. The helicopter is shared between the Great Western Ambulance Service and Wiltshire Police. The venture that was started in 1990 costs £1.5 million a year, 66% is funded by Wiltshire Police and the other 33% is funded by the Wiltshire Air Ambulance Appeal. The WAA receives no government funding or grants and no lottery grants, it is funded 100% by the people of Wiltshire. The size of Wiltshire and required funding means that every citizen costs 50pence each year.
In 2009 Wiltshire Air Ambulance Appeal made £987,077, an increase of £265,898 from 2008 and spent £771,271, an increase £132,274 from 2008.

Sussex

Hotel 900 was crewed by a pilot, a Sussex Police air observer, who was a fully-sworn constable (or sergeant) and a paramedic seconded from South East Coast Ambulance Service, who was also trained as an air observer. The last helicopter was an MD-902 Explorer and operated from Shoreham Airport. Operational since February 2000] the Explorer replaced an earlier helicopter which had been in service since 1987. The unit was available for missions between 0800 and 0130 Monday to Saturday, and 0900 to 0000 on Sundays, although out-of-hours cover was provided for serious incidents. Hotel 900 completed nearly 1,500 sorties every year, of which almost 25% were for ambulance purposes, with the remainder consisting of police tasks, such as searching for offenders or fleeing suspects, identifying suspect or stolen vehicles, facilitating vehicle pursuits, transport of police officers, and search & rescue
Cambridge  cant see any evidence of multi use, but one site says it operate at night as air ambulance
The force currently operates an MD902 helicopter, fitted with state of the art technology.
It can reach speeds of up to 161 miles per hour, or 140 knots and houses a 30million candle power ‘nitesun’ which is used to help guide officers on the ground to locations and to illuminate areas for officer safety at night.
There is also a downlink from the aircraft so officers in a command centre can see exactly what the crew in the aircraft are looking at through a powerful camera.
It is a true multi-role aircraft, carrying up to eight people, which can be quickly re-rolled to air ambulance, people carrier or freighter in times of emergency.