Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aggressive driving @#~%.......

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Aggressive driving @#~%.......

I'm on a mini roundabout near home, just about to turn right, and this large dark grey car comes out of the road I'm entering quite close, before I can clear. Seconds later I've cleared the intersection, and driving on along a twisty bit, when a car quite similar to the first drives wide, not slowing, and offside mirror shatters.

The aggressiveness of some drivers has always existed, but I think it's getting worse. You?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
17 REPLIES 17
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Aggressive driving @#~%.......

Absolutely it's got worse, and I'm always bemused when they drive right up my arsenal, overtake like a moron... and then I catch them up at road works or even better, behind a trundling tractor. 

It makes my day, it really does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heh-ZMyzdig

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Minivanman   Even better to see them come hurtling up behind me......

then they read the sign in my rear window... and back off..... at least 1 to 2 car lengths...! 

ffox
Pro

@Luzern 

Not as bad as this one!

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

From observation over too many years, the more powerful the car the less the driver seems to think / plan ahead, been overtaken many times while travelling at speed limit and car then turns off down a side road, or on motorway car shoots past as you are approaching a junction and then brakes hard and cuts you up to get off at the junction.  I will put my hard hat on and generalise that German cars and Vauxhall Insignia ( which is actually a German car as well ) are the most thoughtless, rudest and most agressive.  Also notice young women drivers are good at tailgating..

Luzern
Hero

@wotsup IMO Aggressiveness comes from the driver, not the car, be it small or big. Does anyone think that there also is a sort of passive -aggressiveness, which is shown e.g. by the middle an outer lane ' I shall not be moved' type, motoring for miles at 3 m.p.h. below the speedo limit?

@wotsup  Is your anti Jerry bias getting to you?Grin

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Luzern wrote:

@wotsup  Is your anti Jerry bias getting to you?Grin

What did I say  to upset him ? ? ? Undecided

PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

What annoys me is the idiot car drivers doing 55mph on the inside lane of a dual carriageway with a 70mph limit, this forces all the annoyed truck drivers in to the outside lane to crawl past with there 56mph limited hgv's which in turn holds up everyone else behind them.

The worse ones are the car drivers that when there being over taken by the hgv, they speed up slightly so it ends up stale mate as the hgv cant make it past.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@PowerLee 

Not sure if you are being serious, but that 70mph is the speed limit it is not the speed objective and besides, HGV trucks are limited to 60mph on dual carriageways are they not.

Idiot car drivers? Idiot and intimidating lorry drivers more like, so thanks for reminding us that bad car drivers also make bad if not worse HGV drivers who think that just because they are 'professionals', that allows them to treat others like little insects that get in their way.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

I have always been of the opinion that there is a correlation between the type of driving, and the type or model of car - and those more expensive high end ones do seem to be the worst, with those 'small member' monster 4x4 drivers being at the top of my list - and sorry (sort of) for those here that feel the need to own one of these pointless beasts, but that's just how I see it. 

Am I wrong, and when was the last time you had a 2CV looming large in your rear view mirror?

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Minivanman wrote:

@Luzern 

I have always been of the opinion that there is a correlation between the type of driving, and the type or model of car - and those more expensive high end ones do seem to be the worst, with those 'small member' monster 4x4 drivers being at the top of my list - and sorry (sort of) for those here that feel the need to own one of these pointless beasts, but that's just how I see it. 

Am I wrong, and when was the last time you had a 2CV looming large in your rear view mirror?

That is my opinion from traveling over 25,000 miles a year ( until last year when I retired ) - the German staff cars are by far the most arrogant and thoughtless on the road - and if you dare stray into the BMW lane on motorways, even doing 80 ( trying to get past a logjam caused by the playful lorry drivers doing their thing ), withing 10 miiliseconds there will be an Audi or BMW 6 inches from your rear bumper ( or even a Vauxhall Insignia,  that is being driven by a frustrated wannabbe BMW or Audi owner).

@Minivanman wrote:

@PowerLee 

Not sure if you are being serious, but that 70mph is the speed limit it is not the speed objective and besides, HGV trucks are limited to 60mph on dual carriageways are they not.

HGV drivers who think that just because they are 'professionals', that allows them to treat others like little insects that get in their way.

Two lane motorway that I used to get to work sometimes - lorry on inside lane traveling at 59mph,  lorry that has been following him for a while suddenly decides that he needs to be in front - overtakes the lorry at 60mph ( governed ) after building up half a mile or more cars behind the lorry eventually pulls back in and stays in front of lorry they have just overtaken - does not pull ahead - I am convinced it is a game that professional lorry driver play to relieve the mind boggling boredom of their job - used to happen most days as well, and we have all seen it.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

No question about it...the standard of driving has got much worse.

I guess anyone who drives could write out a long list of examples of poor or dangerous driving.

imo it is more about the general attitude of many people these days who have no consideration for others or totally unaware of the needs of others.....the road belongs to them and every other (censored) is in the way.

This attitude is seen not just in driving but in many other areas of life......sadly it will get even worse.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A few years back the first post here would have been where were the police. Now no one expects them to be anywhere except behind a desk looking at a tv screen.

As a result many roads are like the lawless wild west. Yet the police part of my council tax still went up around 25%.

Luzern
Hero

Something a bit of a laugh about tailgating; it comes from a half century plus back. Sorry if I've told it before.

My dad worked at a sanatorium as a gardener, but was also responsible for driving the unit's car.

One day he ferried patients to a unit several miles away for X-Rays, Returning, one passenger looked out the rear window. "Mr Luzern, there's a car awfully close behind us for miles!" 

Father pulls over, and finds car had attached itself to his rear bumper, when it had stopped behind his.

Now, that is extreme tailgating!Grin

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@billnotben wrote:

Yet the police part of my council tax still went up around 25%.

That increase will mainly cover Police pensions - doubt if it will put any more serving officers on the streets.