Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ageism in reverse !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ageism in reverse !

Just been up to the local co-op to get the mandatory lottery ticket... Cheesy
Nothing unusual about that....  BUT.....
A couple of years ago, they used to have a notice behind the counter above the ciggys about looking under age 18..... Smiley
because of local checks, (and probably national too,) they changed that to read  "lucky enough to look under age 21..." Embarrassed
They have a new one up there now..... "lucky enough to look under age 25".... Undecided
In a couple of years time it will probably read...... "lucky enough to look under age 30"..... Cry
Won`t be long before I have to produce my pension payment card, to prove I am old enough to buy a bottle of cider/vino/beer etc
16 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Ageism in reverse !

I remember Mr. Kelly being asked to prove his age Smiley
Community Veteran

Who? Ned Kelly?  I wouldn`t dare ask his age....... might end up in a billabong  with my head blown off !  Shocked
Fixes: 102

SWMBO got asked for ID in M&S, she was only buying a bottle of bucks fizz (a whole 5% ABV) in a food shop was paying by credit card and had our 2 little darlings with her.
Most odd.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

My daughter, who is 27, often gets asked for over-18 age ID. As she's 50% older than 18 this is bizarre.
She's a Civil Engineer (who as you know deal with people who can be very uncivil) and generally gives them "the look"  Roll eyes
James
Grafter

I did when I was 27.  Quite often!
Since I chopped off my hair (well not me personally) I don't get asked at all.  I think that's mainly down to the fact that they can see a reflection of themselves in my forehead Tongue
It's especially hard telling with girls because of the makeup factor, so I imagine they just ask to be safe.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've not been asked for ID for years, although I'm 31, I'm not that old Smiley
Only places which do are some locally which take a digital scan of your ID (Driving License/Passport) for everyone who walks in (yes, no joke everyone!).
So I don't go there (well, I did only once under duress for someone's birthday), but the prospect of having to carry my passport all night so I can give them money, and having a scan of that kept on their computers doesn't really appeal. I know the government are adept enough at losing people's details as it is, but who knows what these places do with the images they have stored. Identity theft - of course not Shocked
Apparently, someone told me it uses the photo from the ID to do real-time facial recognition via the CCTV inside from expensive software, which gives me confidence in a place to deal with trouble if it feels such measures are necessary to let you in. Quite frankly those kind of places can get lost (I would use two stronger words than that, but it'll break the swear filter).
James
Grafter

Alex, I honestly thought you were a bit younger Smiley (My age, not younger than that!)
I hated having to carry my passport around.  I eventually left it in a taxi on December 30th last year (along with my wallet!), but it had already expired by then.
New Year was fun Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Nasty Sad
I lost my wallet abroad about 4 months ago, first time I had happened to me, so I know what an unpleasant experience it is.
Although I lost the £150 which was in there and had the hassle of having to replace the cards, it was fortunate I had left some cards and my passport back at the hotel, so at least I had the means to withdraw more cash to get me by, and get the flight home Wink
Yep, morning after wasn't pleasant!
I'll have to get my driving license changed to a photocard one, as it is a lot more convenient to carry round as ID and the consequences are far less severe should you happen to lose it.
Fixes: 102

I'd avoid changing your licenses as you then have to remember to renew it every 10 years as it expires.
Another nice tax that....
Will Moderate For Thanks
Heloman
Grafter

I had to renew my license 'cos I'd reached the older end of the spectrum, 70.
I'll be quite happy if I'm still around to renew it in 10 yers  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

youl have to renew before then, but at least it wont cost Smiley
Community Veteran

Shutter, I believe it already is "Challenge 30" in some places. Generally places that have failed Test Purchases will be even more likely to have higher ages for their "Challenge" schemes. Funnily enough my local co-op has recently gone to challenge 25 as well, so in this instance it might be something enforced by the society's head office, rather than a local scheme because of a failed test purchase.
The penalties for those who serve alcohol / tobacco to under 18's are severe. For the person serving, it could result in an instant £80 fine (about or even over a days work for many pub staff) as well as a criminal record. As well as penalties for the server it is possible for the personal license holder on duty to lose their license and the outlet to lose it's premises license - which of course would mean loss of jobs, although AFAIK this would generally happen after a couple of failed purchases, rather than the first instance.
Working in a pub where we follow the "Challenge 21" scheme. If anyone looks under 21 in the opinion of the server then they should be asked for ID, upon arrival at the bar, regardless of what is being purchased. If the server is unsure on whether to request then ID should be requested. Acceptable forms of ID are Passport, Driving License, or ID card with the PASS hologram on, although some places do not accept the last option due to a high number of forgeries. Having children / being pregnant, possessing a credit card / car keys are not acceptable forms of ID. Tongue Whenever we ID someone we have to record it on the till, although we don't take a scan of said ID, like the place Alex has mentioned.
Personally I'm not very good at judging age and have in the past ID'ed a 30 year old and a 33 year old, as well as several others over 21. However whilst ideally I don't want to ID people of 30 / 33 when unsure as to weather to ID or not I have no qualms about asking for ID faced with the alternative of an £80 fine and criminal record, should I fail to ID and consequently serve someone under 18. It is highly possible this is the reasoning behind the ID'ing in Aidewoo's example.
OK that's enough of an essay, it wasn't meant to be honest.... :|
Community Veteran

Quote from: Assos
If anyone looks under 21 in the opinion of the server then they should be asked for ID, upon arrival at the bar, regardless of what is being purchased.

What, even for soft drinks? I don't go in pubs that often though I've probably been in them about a dozen times this year, and never been asked for ID...
Community Veteran

@ assos
Yes, I fully understand the reasons why . and the law is very strong on it too.  I`m so glad I got out of the shop and licenced trade, where ciggys, booze and other things are sold that are likely to cost me dearly.
Cheers for the essay !!! Wink