Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Age of criminal responsibility

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Age of criminal responsibility

In England and Wales the minimum age is 10, Scotland being higher. Few states have lower ages than ours and some are not where I would want to exist.

Should, therefore, consideration be given to raising the age to take account of what society knows of children's developing minds?

Suggest your preferred age.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
41 REPLIES 41
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Age of criminal responsibility

Problem with that is it just gives them free reign to do as they please with the excuse of "They're just a kid", a lot of young 'uns know this all too well these days and do what they do, knowing they'll most likely get a slap on the wrist and a telling off, with no real repercussions afterwards...

Kids are a lot smarter than they get credit for, and not always for good reasons...

Luzern
Hero

@twocvbloke wrote:

....gives them free reign to do as they please with the excuse of "They're just a kid", a lot of young 'uns know this all too well these days and do what they do, knowing they'll most likely get a slap on the wrist and a telling off, with no real repercussions afterwards...

Kids are a lot smarter than they get credit for, and not always for good reasons...

@twocvbloke  I don't think that the age of criminal responsibility relates, or should even, to the defects of a sentencing regime. it's a matter of what a great nation like ours sees as morally just.

Yes our generation were naive, and educationally what kids have to learn in Juniors, we were not until  in Seniors. That is what \i see from my grandkids. Their smartness in other things, I don't reckon we can hold that against them. for it must come from somewhere. Where is that; in your face news, entertainment, let it all hang out living...?

And as to reasons being good or bad, I do not see that as limited to youngsters. Perhaps you do? 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
twocvbloke
Community Veteran

Reasoning for being good or bad certainly isn't limited to young people, it's more teaching them the responsibility they hold when they perform such actions, whether good or bad...

I remember some of the things I did as a kid, from breaking greenhouse windows to exploring empty houses (where someone else had already broken windows to get in), and 'alf inching things here and there, knowing how to get around such things without being caught, didn't always work though as particularly with the greenhouses, the police were brought in and we received a telling off, but no repercussions (like fines, community-service type stuff, or even writing letters of apology), and that's where things fall down, kids get away with bad behaviour, and in some cases it continues into their adulthood... Sad

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@twocvbloke wrote:

Problem with that is it just gives them free reign to do as they please with the excuse of "They're just a kid", a lot of young 'uns know this all too well these days and do what they do, knowing they'll most likely get a slap on the wrist and a telling off, with no real repercussions afterwards...

And to expand on that, the older crims know full well about how to use the age of responsibility to their own advantage by employing under-age kids to do some of their dirty work. e.g. as 'runners' for drug dealing, or pushing small five-year old kids through small windows or cat-flaps to open the door of a house to enable burglary to take place.

twocvbloke
Community Veteran

To me that sort of behaviour should come under child abuse if it doesn't already...

Minesapint
Pro

The age of criminal responsibility should be raised to 120.

Nothing much happens to repeat offenders anyway, 

Probably better to just let everybody get on with it as they please.

"May you live in interesting times"

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

It should remain as it is...... There are several cases, that I have heard of, where kids of 10 , 11, 12, are dealing drugs... and causing GBH to similar age children, in the ways of the "older" gangsters.

Gang culture starts in poorer neighbourhoods, and the later years in primary school, are seen as a way of passing on, into the more senior school, with some "street cred"... due to what they have got away with in primary school final year. 

From the first few days in the "senior school" kids soon find out who is the "gang leader" and whether they become a gang member or not decides whether they get bullied or not, by those same kids that learnt their "craft" in the final years of primary school.

Raising the age of criminal responsibility, and expecting kids to "behave themselves" until they are old enough to be criminals, will not work...

The complete breakdown of respect, responsibility, and general "decency" to others, promulgated by the "do-gooder society"  of recent years,  has brought about the present state of affairs, particularly showing in the number of crimes, including all the stabbings, and murders, in London.  Kids of 10 , 11, and 12, treat shoplifting and pickpocketing as a game.... to see if they can get away with it....when caught, they plead,.... but I am only a kid... and I didn`t know it was wrong, or breaking any law...I was just having some fun with my mates..

They are wise enough, and street cred enough, watching tv progs, on how to "get off lightly", when caught... and a couple of days "grounded" by their parents only increases their street cred when they get back with their mates,....

Jonpe
Hero

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7524235/Terrifying-moment-gang-armed-knuckledusters-try-sma...

If you don't click on links to the DM on 'conscience grounds', the incident was widely reported in other media (I saw it on the 6 o'clock news on ITV.

These criminals were wearing their school uniforms under their hoodies.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Whatever happened to the idea that parents should share the blame, the fine and the penalty should their like angels get into trouble - but there again, what happened to parents. Sad

Mum to be there for you, and Dad to be there for you with a kick up the backside if you got out of line. 

Growing up mine always had Mum at home and although I never laid a hand on any of them, they were never sure I wouldn't and y'know what, not one of them brought trouble to our door. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

It's a complex question with no easy answers.

If you accept that childrens brains are not as well developed as adults in the sense that children act without thinking about the consequences or some are more easily led than others ie If you want to be part of the group you must do xxx.

Adults have in most cases a choice of walking away but not children, where can they go ? It's a brave child who refuses to be part of the group.

What has this to do with the age of criminal responsibility ? Simple...the law needs defined rules to work to so a age has to be set for criminal responsibility but all children are different and some more mature than others along with the circumstances and environment they live in.

Based on that I would not presume to suggest a age due to the variables.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

We can also accept that kids brains are not so cluttered with the garbage of life and have the ability to think clear and unencumbered. 

As you say, no easy answers but even so, a line needs to be drawn otherwise where are the reference points. Take those away and we'd have for example a free-for-all education system, or laws and regulations applied only by precedent. 

My kids knew where that line was, when not to cross it, and were all the better for it.  We were also a family that actually sat up at the table for our meals, never left it before everybody had finished eating and asked permission before doing so. 

As for grandkids eating at the table with eye's glued to smart phones - not in our house. Smiley

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman 

By quoting what happens in your own family you are describing a normal family environment but the majority of families are not in that situation.

A baby cannot select the circumstances into which is was born or the environment in which it finds itself as it gets older, most will adjust to that environment to their best advantage irrespective of how that fits in with society.

Having said that I agree a number of children in a good environment do need boundries which are reinforced by adult behaviour....

A interesting one for me was.....you must not smoke, said by adults to me but at the same time smoking themselves !

Same applies about mobile phones at the table, how many times have you been in a cafe or similar place and seen 2 or more adults fiddling with their phones and totally ignoring each other ? I have seen up to 6 adults at a a meal with the lot of them on a mobile.

So it really comes back to what I said in my earlier post, circumstances are different for all children so it's impossible to set a age that is fair for all

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@gleneagles  Reading your comment, just now,... reminded me of our favourite cafe..... it has a handwritten sign, by the owner...

We do not have Free WiFi..

Talk to each other....

Enjoy your food

It`s a lovely place to be ! !  ...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Early morning TV here and watching an episode of Friends.

No mobiles phones, and none at the Central Perk coffee shop either.