cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Age of consent

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Age of consent

Every time I glance at the TV these days, some female is pregnant at a stage in life where they thought it was too late.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
34 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Age of consent

The stigmatization of un-married pregnancy was a terrible thing, especially since only the woman suffered.

I would imagine it still occurs in certain areas, e.g. Northern Ireland(?)..

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I'm just glad we've moved on and no longer mix morals with marriage -  pregnant or otherwise. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Y'know there comes a time occasionally when I wonder why I posted a thread, and this is one of them. Straight away I have no quibble with the valid points made by the responders.

My original point was to be about the amount of late-in-life pregnancies that seem to be featured on TV these days, then for no accountable reason I branched out into the historical question on un-married mothers. I have therefore edited out that part of my OP.

I was half watching my wife's favourite programme - Holby (and Casualty) - and others, where half the women in them seem to be pregnant at a late stage in life. It made me wonder if the scriptwriters get together and plan these story lines.

That was all.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

what does this have to do with the age of consent?
nanotm
Pro

@chenks76

unlike the legal term, the literal meaning is the era of time in which most things are considered ok by wider society.

@petlew

with respect I rather thought the unmarried mothers bit was quite pertinent as well, both spent many centauries being considered "wrong" but have become acceptable mostly because of advances in education and medicinal knowledge and experience, were no longer only taught the values of the bible (generally speaking) we all go to school learn to think for ourselves and that whilst there are some laws we should believe in justice and freedom of choice and fight to change unjust laws, those are things that have been happening since the end of WWII, which coupled with massive improvements in modern medicine have generally improved the way we interact with others, not all of those changes happen immediately though because you have to wait for the oldsters to change their ways which often means wait for them to move on.

personally I think some of the changes have been a backwards slide and a lowering of morality standards, but in other areas the openness has been an improvement, although I disagree with some things (like the NHS paying for fertility treatment at all) and whilst some single parents are doing as good job a lot more of them are very bad at the job,

as to age of parents, the biggest problem with older mothers has been the higher  likely hood of problems (mentally or physically) and that's why older people tended not to have babies (or they put them in places out of sight out of mind) in the past, of course many didn't have the right diet to be able to procreate anyway, but I don't think wider society really cares one way or the other about who does what so long as the NHS didn't help someone to make a baby when they could just adopt one of the many thousands of kids in desperate need..... 

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

chenks76 wrote:
what does this have to do with the age of consent?

Colours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0xR7QHUoXA

Minivanman
Hero

You raise a good point about the NHS and fertility treatment. Nobody denies the rights to have children but the cost of doing so should not be borne by the taxpayer by way of NHS treatment or multiple benefit for multiple kids - and the same goes for gender reassignment. What the hell is the world coming to? If you want any of the former then fine, knock yourself out but not at our expense. 

The NHS is for the sick, not the needy.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

by that argument, should the NHS fund cancer treatment for those that have smoked all their life?
or diabetes treatment for those that have had an unhealthy diet?

if you are going to start restricting what people can and can't use the NHS for, then you can't force people to pay their National Insurance. afterall, if they have paid into it, why shouldn't they use the service as they see fit?
Minivanman
Hero

You are skewing the argument.

There is no connection between those that are sick with cancer and in need of treatment for diabetes and those that are not. Not being to have a child (and wanting to look like you can have one) is not a sickness, it's a selfish need and one that the taxpayer should not be paying for. End of

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

This thread is "going off topic" from the original posting.... into a discussion about the NHS...

and so, with that in mind...  @chenks76  The point that @Minivanman is making, surely, is, that the NHS is for those in NEED.. not for those who WANT... 

Which is a bit of a double edge sword... IF,.. for example,.. the NHS bosses had decided that, for sake of argument, Breast Implants, should NOT be performed in NHS hospitals, and should NOT be funded from public funds.... then those people who WANTED it, should have to go to Privately funded Medical facilities to OBTAIN the kind of surgery.

On the other hand,.. there could be a few cases where patients NEED breast implants, e.g. women with Breast Cancer, who have to have their breast removed, then this SHOULD be funded and performed by the NHS... i.e. a HEALTH problem....

I have been lucky in my health... I smoked for about half of my life, and fortunately, do not require any medical services as a consequence, however, sufferers of Lung cancer, however caused, should be cared for, by the NHS, ... NOT because those people have paid their National Insurance, but because it is a "HEALTH" problem, as with Diabetes, and other HEALTH problems.....  and not a "WANT" problem,.......in their lives.

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

You are skewing the argument.

There is no connection between those that are sick with cancer and in need of treatment for diabetes and those that are not. Not being to have a child (and wanting to look like you can have one) is not a sickness, it's a selfish need and one that the taxpayer should not be paying for. End of

not if you have a medical condition that is stopping you from having one a child.
anyway, the argument was not skewed, it was an example of how you wanted to limit what the NHS can be used for.

also, it's not the National Sickness Service, it's the National Health Service. Health covers many things, not just sickness.

and as i said, if a person has paid in to the service (which is mandatory remember) then you cannot start refusing them access to the service.

Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

en lucky in my health... I smoked for about half of my life, and fortunately, do not require any medical services as a consequence, however, sufferers of Lung cancer, however caused, should be cared for, by the NHS, ... NOT because those people have paid their National Insurance, but because it is a "HEALTH" problem, as with Diabetes, and other HEALTH problems.....  and not a "WANT" problem,.......in their lives.

so are people who have a HEALTH problem stopping them from having children allowed to use the NHS for such treatment?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Your response, to my post, is incomprehensible,....

Minivanman
Hero

In that case the NHS is or rather has become a service for all wants and all needs - and we wonder why the whole structure is falling apart. Keep this up and do not be surprised at the increasing growth of the private healthcare sector and one soon to become 'obligatory' under private health care insurance. America here we come.

Nye Bevan must be turning in his grave...... and point taken @shutter, no more from me here on the NHS! Wink