cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Age Test - What we don't do now

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Age Test - What we don't do now

Ok I thought I'd start a light hearted topic on the things you did when you were younger (which shows you your age).

I'm 40 - but here are the things I remember doing when I was younger which I no longer do.

Typewriters - where as I kid I used to press multiple keys and and jam it.

Using phone boxes and payphones before mobiles were around. I can only think of one location round here that actually has them now.

Going into the bank and paying credit card bills by cheque, before direct debits took off.

Reading newspapers, before you could just go on-line. Adverts would actually have a coupon you could fill in a post ito get more information back through the post.

Luncheon Vouchers (remember the LV logo?).

Tuning in an analogue TV. Being in London and before ITV got bad - the 1991 franchise round, then abolished the regions and got into the false misguided conclusion Ant and Dec have talent (still, the last laugh is on them to the bank). We were Thames/LWT, but I worked out we could get I could get a weak TVS signal, so I tuned one channel onto that and used to watch it.

Still, looks like I have to pay in a cheque today which is ironic. Smiley

32 REPLIES
Pete11
Pro

Re: Age Test - What we don't do now

When I was 11 or 12 years old, I used to put 5 or 6 blades of grass between finger and thumb and chase girls round the playground telling 'em it was a spider. Now at 64 years old I still look back on those days and have a little chuckle. Might try it on wifey sometime.  Cool smiley

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I remember in my student days, queuing up at local phone box to ring my girlfriend, who is now my wife, then going into the local pub for a pint on my way back to my bedsit! Smiley

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Watching B&W TV, and changing channels by rattling a bunch of keys. Smiley

Not young enough to know everything
harrym1byt
Rising Star

Tea boxes and orange boxes, milkmen delivering milk, two postal deliveries per day, the first one very early. The rolling symbol in the top corner of the TV screen on the commercial channel, which gave a minutes pre-warning of an ad breaks. Quiet roads, empty motorways during the early hours - the world never sleeps now.

Pete11
Pro

Small corner shop owners that used to have a bit of friendly banter with customers, not many of those about now. Honesty boxes outside rural area 'farm shops'

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I use "Have you ever actually dialled a phone number (i.e. on a dial)?" and "Have you ever used a typewriter?" as questions to determine whether someone is old or young. Smiley

@Alex  I think it was Carlton TV in the end but Thames continued to make programmes at their Teddington studios.

@harrym1byt  I saw a milk float a week or so ago, and realised I hadn't seen one for years.

Not just the warning of a commercial break, but the red triangle on the screen on Channel 4 warning that the film was of an adult nature (thereby ensuring that no pubescent boys would switch off and go to sleep).

Champnet
Rising Star

Having to go to the library, pre Google.....

Pete11
Pro

Pressing button 'A' or 'B' on the old public telephones.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Walking the half mile to primary school without parents at age 6. It was a small school with 32 pupils and the village was mentioned in the Domesday Book. You were not a local unless your family had lived in the village for over 150 years, but everyone knew everyone. Petrol was on sale outside the village shop at a pump which had two half gallon glass receivers and was pumped by hand.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Pete11
Pro

Watching t.v. progs like..

Mr. Ed (the talking horse),

Car 54 Where Are You.

My Favourite Martian.

The Beverly Hillbilly's.

Cheyenne. (remember that one anybody?).

And Nearest and Dearest (Pledges Purer Pickles).

Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Aha, Clint Walker as Cheyenne Bodie. Always remember him in that role when I see The Dirty Dozen. 

Community Veteran

AlaricAdair wrote:

Petrol was on sale outside the village shop at a pump which had two half gallon glass receivers and was pumped by hand.

I was very young then, but I remember when petrol stations said "Self Service" as some had attendants and wouldn't let you do it on your own.

EDIT: Whilst thinking about petrol:

How about before unleaded - 2, 3 and 4 star Tongue

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

Black and white rental 405 line TVs, with the Repair Man in the Radio Rentals van.

Fireball XL5

Space Patrol

Sarah and Hoppity 

Torchy (the battery boy)

Fury

Champion (the wonder horse)

Boots and Saddles

Rawhide

Wagon Train

Branded

Whiplash

Rin-tin-tin 

The Lone Ranger

..... and the adverts..... Don't forget the fruit gums Mum and ..Drink a pint of milk a day....and The best tobacco a man can buy!

00radio%20add%20men%201961.jpg

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
Community Veteran

Ok, another one.
Going to a video rental shop with my dad and they had separate sections for VHS and Betamax.