cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After several years of good service, I had to change my trusty keyboard

TORPC
Grafter

After several years of good service, I had to change my trusty keyboard

I have a DELL SX - 8135 keyboard, yes I know a DELL keyboard Tongue that has lasted a good few years, however it is now starting top show it's age
The two USB ports come in handy & I find that the extra buttons are neat in their respected placements
a couple of letters have started a press & hold for one second before the print on the screen, situation
I am now using an old USB  SINTEC keyboard for now (does anyone remember them ) ?Huh
7 REPLIES
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: After several years of good service, I had to change my trusty keyboard

I see that, just like your old keyboard, the new one doesn't have a full stop and the return key operates at unexpected times and inserts two carriage returns when it does Smiley
The best keyboard I ever had came with my first PC (Aries XT from Watford Electronics) - It is a Chicony unit with a 5 pin DIN and I've recently started to use it again due to problems with a USB keyboard.
Community Veteran

I had a load of old keyboards possibly from a Vax or Dec system where every key had a mechanical action triggering a reed switch with a magnet. They were almost solid metal construction and a masterpiece of engineering.
I just wish I still had them as I could convert them to a USB system and look very retro.
Dell have also made some pretty reasonable keyboards in their time but as above, Chicony are usually a good safe bet for quality keyboards.
nanotm
Pro

when I want something that's likely to last more than 5 years I look into the mid to high end gaming keyboards with the mechanical switches, my current one is the Logitech g19, however it needs its own power supply and is wider than the keyboard shelf in most desks, my wife is rather partial to a Saitek keyboard that's similarly 5 years old but it doesn't have usb ports built into it although it does have programmable keys.
some of the newer cooler master boards are good if your looking for something that will last several years of heavy use (for some reason office boards are designed to be replaced more frequently than gaming ones ....)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Speaking as an ex IT manager, office keyboards tend to have coffee / tea / tippex / nail varnish remover spilled on them at regular intervals. Oh as well as Ketchup, curry sauce, covered in hair, dust and snot. Paperclips and staples are dropped inside and if that doesn't kill them, PMT generally will ........
Community Veteran

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

I have recently bought of a few of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JAE915C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#productDet...
I wanted a full keyboard , but with less footprint than a standard size keyboard
The quality is top notch, and the keys have a nice feel when typing.
Also like the fact it has an on/off button, which you don't find on all wireless keyboards  
Regards
Mike
Mike
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: DomS
Speaking as an ex IT manager, office keyboards tend to have coffee / tea / tippex / nail varnish remover spilled on them at regular intervals. Oh as well as Ketchup, curry sauce, covered in hair, dust and snot. Paperclips and staples are dropped inside and if that doesn't kill them, PMT generally will ........

Yep that definitely sums it up Wink
However
That also applies to community.plus.net/forum/members
in the case of being caused to spit out coffee / tea / favourite tipple out, when reading humorous post(s) Grin