cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After over 30 years...

Fixes: 125

After over 30 years...

...of not playing the piano I was at a friend's at the weekend and started to play hers. It's a Yamaha NP31 with 76 keys, 32 note polyphony, 10 voices including organ, piano and harpsichord and has graded soft touch keys.

I enjoyed playing on it and now am thinking of getting one of my own and was looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has experience of keyboards.

A few questions:

What is the difference between a Digital Piano and an Electronic Keyboard?

Do I really need to search for 88 keys or would 76 suffice - I think the latter?

I have been told that Weighted Keys would be better than graded soft touch keys given my experience of piano playing (I also played the organ and would like to be able to get the feel of both if possible)

What makes are better; Yamaha or Casio or...?

I understand that when using the sustain pedal I would possible require a lot more than 32 note polyphony.

I would also like to be able to connect to the PC so that my 'compositions' can be recorded or even notated on manuscript.

My budget would probably be in the region of £400

Any advice or further information would be greatly appreciated and, yes, I will go in to a local music shop to try out for myself.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: After over 30 years...

I remember going to piano lessons when I was about 10.... learnt the scale and what the note names were... but failed to get any further...( now much to my regret ! ! ! )..

Probably not the best advice...but ... why not have a look on You Tube... for the particular type of play machine you are interested in... and perhaps there will be some useful content in the "comments".. at least you may be able to sort out the kind of sound and number of keys etc  ... and won`t be "embarassed" or "Pressured" by the shop staff, by your lack of knowledge... you may even find some "interesting" questions you want to ask, ( so making you look more intelligent ! ! )...

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Mav wrote:

What is the difference between a Digital Piano and an Electronic Keyboard?

A digital piano will have various piano sounds, plus harpsichord, vibraphone, xylophone, marimba and maybe other "percussive" instruments. An electronic keyboard will have a much greater variety of instrument effects, but will be more expensive if it's going to match the quality of the digital piano.

I don't think you'll need 88 keys unless you're a serious pro.

My Roland electronic keyboard is weighted, but long in the tooth - I'm not sure what "graded soft touch" is all about. Undecided

Yamaha v Casio - the former.

Modern standards of polyphony are beyond my ken, but this article seems to explain it well -

http://www.digitalmusicinstruments.com/what-does-note-polyphony-mean/

Hope you find something good - and enjoy it!  Smiley

Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 104

we got a yamaha ydp162 for our dd and the grades she's completed so far and doesn't feel massively different to the mini-grands used for her exams. 

Will Moderate For Thanks

Thanks. I have looked at those and, apart from being over my budget, I currently don't have the room to house it.

I am just amazed that after a little play on my friend's keyboard how much I have missed it over the yearsShocked

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Fixes: 47

I've always had access to at least one guitar (currently 4) for a lot of years and although I've never had lessons I enjoy my time with them and could never get rid of them.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

After two weeks of deliberating and checking reviews I decided to plummet for the Yamaha P115 from Rimmers Music.

It has a Graded Hammer Standard keyboard which makes it feel more like a real piano and has had many very good reviews.

It's being delivered on Monday and am really looking forward to playing againThumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Good for you..... You will probably start to enjoy life again... ( if you aren`t already ! ! ! !).. and lots of free beer down the pub.... ( get yourself a Friday night slot....  ! ! ! ! )

Fixes: 47

Glad you made your choice.

Enjoy it.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

Cheers, both

@shutter Very rusty so a long way off anything like that.