cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Affordable Housing

Fixes: 47

Affordable Housing

I hear the term 'affordable housing' referred to on the news and in political discussions.

Would someone please define and quantify an affordable house taking into consideration factors such as location and realistic wages and salaries.

I do find it an annoying term.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
10 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Affordable Housing

From .Gov 

" Affordable housing includes social rented, affordable rented and intermediate housing, provided to specified eligible households whose needs are not met by the market. It can be a new-build property or a private sector property that has been purchased for use as an affordable home."

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/affordable-housing-supply.

The present housing shortage is getting worse because of the lack of thought when .GOV allowed too much immigration and did not see the increase in population !

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Strat  I agree.... if housing was " affordable"... then there would be no homeless people...

@rongtw You have got "part" of the answer to the problem there...... the other part is the fact that the Tories did two other big mistakes "way back".... ( I think it was Maggie Hatchet that was in charge then )...

They, ( the tories )  bought votes from Council House Tennants, by giving them  " the right to buy "... which I am not against... however,... they also told the councils that they could not build any more "new" council houses, but should, instead, turn over their housing stocks to "private landlords/housing associations"... to save the cost of repairs/renewals, etc...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

On the topic of housing , has anyone been watching this ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03x4x6y

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I seem to recall affordable housing being 80% of the market value.

Who at the bottom of the ladder can afford an mortgage at 80% of £200k ? (£160k). I'd be very surprised if many could.

My partner and I both come from broken families, we have no parental support and never had chance to earn and save at home as both of us had parents milk us for money. How are we supposed to afford one of these "affordable" houses? We're not.

We've both managed to shake off the blood sucking parents now but its come too late and now we have a little one, one of us has to be at home to care for him so we only have one income. The system is rigged in favour of those who come from privilege. It's horrible bringing up a little one knowing that you can't help them have a better life, all i think about every day is how he's going to have a [-Censored-] life like me.

With all that said, I'm now going back into silence on General Chat. This board does nothing for me these days since I keep having topics and posts removed with one being scrapped because "it's not suitable for a family forum"... Christ, when i was at school we used to be shown images of kids STARVING to death in the 3rd world. Heaven forbid that happens now!!! Lets just shun everything we don't like and pretend it doesn't exist shall we? - Just like we do with those that are paying other peoples mortgages...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@7up

If you want to go silent, that is of course your decision but I would rather you didn't.

With what I have been through with my family just over the last year (even few weeks) I can't go into detail over it. Trust me the mods would not consider that family friendly. Lips are sealed

But yes I agree with you when you say "The system is rigged in favour of those who come from privilege.". I went to university in 1995-1998. Back then we had grants and not tuition fees.

If we did, I would not have been able to go, so it just becomes something only parents with £'s can do.

My family were not poor, but not affulent either. No one can choose their parents.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@rongtw

That is the key point, if there is a shortage of something essential the price will certainly go up, a home is essential but with so many people being unable to afford to buy or even rent one the price goes sky high.

In this area a lot of houses are being built, affordable ones ? no chance they are all detatched 4 5 or even 6 bedroom houses and there are plenty of sold notices appearing so someone has got the money, unless there is a housing crash the prices will continue to rise so where are people getting the money from to buy these properties ? I don't get it, even 2 people on a good income could still not afford to buy these properties taking into account all the other bills they would have to pay, the council tax alone would exceed £200 a month.

@7up

I thought you had been fairly quite these days but did not realise some of your posts had been deleted or blocked, in cases where that happens do moderators leave a message on the forum to say such action has been taken or can the post just ' disappear' without comment ?

I have a reason to ask rather than just idle curiosity.

Smiley

ffox
Rising Star

Demographia is quoted by Huntindonshire DC:  A median house price to income ratio of 3.0 or less is “affordable”

The average wage is about £28K  so that makes it £84K tops (!) for a single person or £168K for a couple.  I don't think that's likely in the Southern half of the UK. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Although there have been recent cases where some houses have been sold for a £1.

Clearly there are certain conditions attached to that and you would need thousands to gut the house and get it suitable to live in but that would be a lot cheaper than other options.

There are thousands of houses, mainly in the north or England that have been left empty for years, perhaps the owners should be forced to either sell at rock bottom prices or pay to have those properties made suitable to live in.

True that these properties are in poorer areas but companies & business should be given financial inducements to set up there thus providing work for those living in the area.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

There are 'affordable' one-bedroom flats being built in this area at £425,000, and they don't even have a separate kitchen!  I can't see a lot of first-time buyers having £85,000 lying about for the traditional 20% deposit, let alone an income high enough to cover the interest, especially now that interest rates are starting to go up.

@ffox  Lenders usually only lend a multiple of the main salary, plus an amount equal to the secondary salary.  When I was buying it was 3x one salary and 1x the other salary.

Quite a few newly built flats in central London have been snapped up by foreign 'investors' who treat them as investments for capital gain only, i.e. they are left empty.  The government (both Labour and Conservative) could easily have stopped this but have chosen not to do so.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

shutter wrote:

@Strat  I agree.... if housing was " affordable"... then there would be no homeless people...

@rongtw You have got "part" of the answer to the problem there...... the other part is the fact that the Tories did two other big mistakes "way back".... ( I think it was Maggie Hatchet that was in charge then )...

They, ( the tories )  bought votes from Council House Tennants, by giving them  " the right to buy "... which I am not against... however,... they also told the councils that they could not build any more "new" council houses, but should, instead, turn over their housing stocks to "private landlords/housing associations"... to save the cost of repairs/renewals, etc...

My home is ex-council. It was built to a very good standard by a very local village council, which was subsequently taken over by a large city council. In the early 80's, the city council carried out a refurb of the entire estate, which involved everyone living for many months in the houses - in the dust and dirt of a building site whist their homes were ripped apart around them. Dirt and plaster dust in everything. The living conditions were absolutely appalling, indescribable. The local village council had always used more sensible methods, like temporary rehousing and caravans parked in the gardens whilst doing such extensive works. 

Some of the work was done to a reasonable standard some not. We were left with no DG, little in the way of insulation, draughty windows and doors, but rather oddly new central heating. Once owned, I was able to address all of these deficiencies and more. It now costs less than 50% of the gas consumption it cost after the refurb, to keep the place snug in winter. We were able to swap from a 38Kw gas boiler, to a 22Kw.

After which, we decided we had enough and applied to purchase the property. Many other did likewise and the general property standards in the street improved dramatically. People are more inclined to spend money on and look after a property they themselves own. I have done all of the repairs and refurbishments since then.