cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice writing to MP

Fixes: 121

Advice writing to MP

With an issue with my local health authority going on for over a year I feel I ought to bring it to the attention of my PM.

I have never had cause to write to my MP so wondered are there any particular protocols? Is written letter better than email?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

23 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Advice writing to MP

Just be polite and get straight to the point.

MP's get loads of letter most of which are dealt with by their office although having said that, the few times I have written to mine I have had a personal reply. It all depends on the MP of course, and make sure you are writing to the right one!

Always nice to write an actual letter of course but these days and with first class stamps costing 64p, an email serves just as well. 

Thumbs Up

http://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-your-mp/

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Good luck.

If it is a "policy" decision then my MP refuses to entertain any correspondence on the matter. He only does what he is told (waste of space really)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

suggestion of layout.                                       your name

your address

date of letter

Dear sir,    ( or madam, if your mp is female)

subject...... here give your letter a subject title line.

Pre-amble...  - outline description to enhance the subject line.

main paragraphs.... the crux of the matter, in chronological order as best you can

ending... suggestions as to the action to be taken, to resolve the issue,...both by the health authority, and the involvement of the MP

polite and respectful sign off

full name printed under your actual written signature.

You should also end your letter with the full name and address of your MP under your signature 

Keep it to ONE page of A4 paper. if possible.

some salient points on the "bullets" on this page...

https://wiki.openrightsgroup.org/wiki/Letter_writing

Minivanman
Hero

That reminds me of doing my old college essays where the instruction was:

* Tell them what you are going to tell them.

* Tell them

* Tell them what you just told them.

...... and it worked!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I've written letters to my MP a number of times for various reasons. All were brief and straight to the point and all were replied to.

I think I did mention on these boards before that one was a problem with National Savings who were being unreasonable and digging in their heels. But a letter to my MP resulted in a quick letter of apology from NS and a cheque.

I have always emailed but the replies have always been on fancy Houses of Parliament Portcullis branded paper and letters. If memory serves me right I believe I also got email acknowledgements of receipt as well.

Community Veteran

Include a timeline of events leading up to your complaint.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

I decided to contact my local MP earlier this year about an issue affecting a lot of people in our area.

I didn't use any particular protocols and just detailed the issue in my own words.

I emailed her at her local office and received a letter of acknowledgement with a promise of an investigation within a week which I considered good.

A couple of weeks later she wrote to me with the result of her enquiries.

I had previously created a Facebook page regarding the issue which received 159 likes and numerous supportive posts.

I included a link to the page in my email.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

Thanks for the replies.

Lots of useful help and advice which I will use tomorrow.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Since you know the name of your MP, or can at least find out with a minimum of effort, use his/her name rather than Sir/Madam, and make sure you get the title right;  a number of them are doctors, and don't address a surgeon as Dr, they hate it, but there doesn't seem to be many of them in politics  (probably enough blood and guts in their  day job Smiley )

By the way, have you exhausted the NHS complaints procedure?

Community Veteran

@Mav

This site is excellent. Works every time for me, and I have used it a lot recently!

https://www.writetothem.com/

Thanks again for all the replies. With Xmas and family pressures I had to put it on hold but will write this evening or tormorrow.

One other question which I haven't seen covered yet before I go ahead:

I actually have two independent issues I need to bring to my MP's attention. For clarity should I cover these under separate emails/letters or keep them all in the one making it clear they are not connected?

Thanks again.

Minivanman
Hero

I would suggest you bring both issues to your MP's attention Mav assuming you have not already done so with either as no doubt they will be separated out as needed if and when any action is taken. Few of us are experts at this kind of thing, so just play it by ear?

Good luck, although you shouldn't need it Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Mav wrote:

With an issue with my local health authority going on for over a year I feel I ought to bring it to the attention of my PM.

I have never had cause to write to my MP so wondered are there any particular protocols? Is written letter better than email?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Problem with health authority issues is that they seem to take so long to resolve.

Some people have simply been looking for an apology on some issue but even that has not been forthcoming as health authorities are reluctant to admit anything in case legal action is taken against them.

The most your MP will do is contact the CEO of the hospital concerned and if you are lucky you might get a letter which does not exactly apologise but expresses concern on the issue and procedures will be reviewed to ensure this does not happen again.

A better approach might be a complaint to the ombudsman rather than a letter to your MP.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Mav wrote:

I actually have two independent issues I need to bring to my MP's attention. For clarity should I cover these under separate emails/letters or keep them all in the one making it clear they are not connected?

I personally would take the fool proof approach - one issue first. Let the MP deal with it / sweep it under the carpet / screw it up and then once that one is out of the way send a second letter with the second issue.

Trying to get them to deal with two issues at once is likely just to confuse the cretin who is no doubt an overpaid idiot who couldn't get a real job doing complicated things like everyone else.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!