cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice wanted on electric cookers

tgr
Grafter

Advice wanted on electric cookers

We need to renew our gas cooker and I am thinking that an electric one would be easier for my wife to use and clean but my son reckons electric cookers are rubbish and I should ask someone who cooks on them so any help would be appreciated
thank you
Gordon
20 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Advice wanted on electric cookers

We switched over to using an electric cooker 45 years ago having initially had gas.
One area to be careful of is that you can't see ring is hot just by looking at it.
Obviously there's a learning process.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I prefer an electric oven but a gas hob and so does my better half
Fixes: 123

+1.
Gas hobs are much easier go control and clean whereas electric ovens seem to give a more even heat.
I have used all gas, all electric and gas hob/electric oven.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
Gas hobs are much easier go control and clean

easier to control, yes; but clean? How is it easier to clean those fiddly burners and trivets than a flat ceramic sheet?
All electric here, always have been; partly because I  don't like the idea of having gas around the house, but mostly because there's no supply anywhere near us  Roll eyes
With any oven, gas or electric it takes a while to get used to its characteristics. We have a new double oven cooker, one larger with fan, one smaller non-fan with grill. Handy to have both, as with the fan occasionally things come out looking like they have been through a nuclear explosion if you are not careful. As for the hob, if going electric try to find one with at least one fast heat/cool. Used to be halogens, but they seem quite rare these days. (induction hobs seem to be the latest craze, but not if you have heart pacemakers apparently - read the pros/cons/warnings carefully!)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My biggest gripe with electric cooking is ..... you start paying to heat up the hob to a usable temp, as soon as you turn the knob.... after that it takes time to either increase the temp or worse still to decrease the temp during cooking.... and after you have finished cooking, when you switch off, you have all that "stored" wasted heat that you have paid for, doing nothing, except keep the kitchen warm
With Gas... you only pay for what you use... it is "instant" heat... much quicker to control, especially in emergency, ( boiling over, instant loss of heat when switching off) and when you switch off the gas, there is no "stored" heat.. wasting away.
We use a "mini-grill" cooker ( electric) to heat up pre-cooked pies and pastries... also for some small baking jobs... ( same size as a micro wave).. however, we have a full size gas cooker for Sunday roast with the family.... ( no, they don`t all fit in the oven.... we have to have 3 sittings  Grin Grin Grin )
Community Veteran

I think electric ovens are a lot more efficient now. They used to take an eternity to get up to temperature, but some of the newer ones can get to 200c in 5 mins.
In cooking terms, electric ovens are better because you have more control over the heat. We have an AGA (which we could not live without) and that takes a lot of getting use to because you have zero control over the heat, apart from choosing the roasting or simmering oven.
Fixes: 47

I have an electric oven and a gas hob and would keep the arrangement if they needed replacing.
My daughter has a double electric oven with an electric ceramic hob and loves it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

Induction hobs are great, much quicker to heat up and control than traditional electric hobs.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
tgr
Grafter

Thank you to everyone as usual you have all been very kind and helpful

Quote from: beeceegee
Quote from: Mav
Gas hobs are much easier go control and clean

easier to control, yes; but clean? How is it easier to clean those fiddly burners and trivets than a flat ceramic sheet?

I always found them easier then cleaning the stuff baked on electric hobs.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

My Neff gas hob is extremely easy to clean
The surface underneath the burners is wipe clean and the burners don't need removing to do it although they are just lift off,
The trivet is black cast iron and is in two parts (each supports over two burners) and on the odd occasion they need cleaning a quick wash in the sink does the job if a wipe over doesn't clean them (it usually does)
Another advantage of the gas hob is that I can heat/cook things in a power cut (we get a few of these due to living in the sticks)
Community Veteran

Quote from: Chris
Induction hobs are great, much quicker to heat up and control than traditional electric hobs.

I'll second that. More economic, better control and far safer than all of the other options.
Only downside is that you need an induction compatible pan (which many are anyway).
Community Veteran

There's quite a few kitchen places you can go to now where they give you demos (and also cookery demonstrations). Certainly worth a try before you buy!

Quote from: Oldjim
Another advantage of the gas hob is that I can heat/cook things in a power cut (we get a few of these due to living in the sticks)

We get more than our fair share of those, too. At least SWMBO is still able to get her cup of tea fix Cheesy