cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice to yourself

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Advice to yourself

For those of you who are retired or near retirement what advice would you give to yourself if you were able to speak to yourself in your teens or early 20s based on what you know now. ?

26 REPLIES
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Advice to yourself

Seize the moment!

Don't think you have plenty of time to do what you want to. Believe me you can run out of time much sooner than you think for a variety of reasons.

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I wouldn't. It'd defo be wrong.!Roll eyes

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I think @Mayfly has pretty much hit it on the head.

I remember asking a girl out who I liked. Was so nervous and difficult to do. Got turned down, and was gutted at the time.

Now 14 years later, I think it is better to have tried, even though it wasn't the answer I wanted, than to be too shy. Then the "What If" woud kick in. You'd be thinking back on that moment and didn't do it, feeling silly thinking "What if I done it?". By then it is too late. 

At least I did it - easy in life to take the easy approach (do nothing) than the more difficult one.

Fixes: 121

I also agree with @Mayfly's sentiment.

Alex wrote:

At least I did it - easy in life to take the easy approach (do nothing) than the more difficult one.

See my tag lineWink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

So many people wait till they retire to go travelling or take a cruise, then they either die and miss the opportunity or are too ill or infirm to really enjoy travelling. 

I was fortunate and lived my life back to front and got paid to travel for work.

I've been to and worked in Peru, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Vanuatu, Tuvalu, Kiribati, Thailand, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Nigeria, Cameroon, Iran, Portugal as well as most of the rest of the Middle East.

It was good when I went and a lot have turned bad! My advice is do it now! I don't feel the need to travel now I have retired. Except I would like to cruise the fjords in Norway! Cool

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Steve
Pro

Luzern wrote:

I wouldn't. It'd defo be wrong.!Roll eyes

I would agree with this.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Mayfly wrote:

Seize the moment!

Don't think you have plenty of time to do what you want to. Believe me you can run out of time much sooner than you think for a variety of reasons.

Certainly agree with that.

The number of people I have worked with in the past who were going to do all manner of things on retirement, sadly most never got the chance due to ill health or death.

When younger I saw most things in black and white and could not understand why they could not be resolved as the answer was obvious but at my current age I can now see that things are not that simple and others views on the same topic are just as valuable as mine.

By looking at things which I thought had obvious answers perhaps I was too quick to reach decisions I would not have done later in life.

Luzern
Pro

Being who we were would we listen to ourselves? Surely my advice to me is influenced by who I was, not only that but by situation and family dynamics.

My family dynamics were that I was a late addition younger by 14 and 12 years from my sisters, so you could say I was preciously spoiled by three mothers. Living in a house attached to a sanatorium our visitors were few, and it was a distance to see peers and mix. Weedy Small as well I got bullied, the more so because I got to grammar school. National Service- all done in the far east knocked some spots off me, but my reserve, persisted, making relationships a problem until I met and married @31 someone my own age I met on holiday.

If all that sounds mawkishly sad, so be it! Thing is though, that had I not been me, would I have met and had fifty years with my wife, 3 chldren and 5 grandchildren?

Remove any of the early life and all bets what would have happened are offffff. Dream life or nightmare life from  what-ifs?Undecided

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Champnet
Rising Star

Advice to my younger self ?

put a few quid on man landing on the moon and England winning the World Cup....

salmo
Rising Star

Got to agree with Mayfly. I remember a quote from somewhere that said " It's mainly the things that you don't do that you regret rather than the things you do"

The only things you regret are the things you don't do.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/michaelcur303561.html
The only things you regret are the things you don't do.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/michaelcur303561.html

Community Veteran

That's true @salmo, the "What If's" and hindsight are terrible to think of.
You can let it upset you for ages, but by then it is too late.

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

Get to know that guy Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs, then invent the internet and get a Patten on it and licence it to those guys on a pay per view basis. 

Retire and follow Mayfly's advice.

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
Community Veteran

Well I wouldn’t mind Richard Branson’s or Rupert Murdoch’s salary, given what I pay Virgin Media and Sky.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

I remember reading about Apple's window cleaner who, in the early days, had got paid in shares and ended up super rich.  It's all about being in the right place at the right time.

Anyone met an old girlfriend after 20 years or so and felt thankful the relationship hadn't lasted? Laugh