cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on setting up dvd home cinema system

bevchris2519

Advice on setting up dvd home cinema system

Hope someone out there help with my query.  We recently bought a flat screen Sony TV which came with a free Sony blu ray player.  We also have a standard DVD home theatre system (Pioneer).  I'd like to be able to link the home theatre system to the blu ray so that we can get surround sound.  I have followed the advice of Pioneer and used a digital optical cable to connect the blu ray to the home theatre and, whilst I do get some sound from most of the speakers (but not all), the effect is not the same as playing a dvd directly from the home theatre.  Anyone got any ideas how I can improve this.  Thanks
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Advice on setting up dvd home cinema system

Not got this setup but here goes (generic answer)
Check the o/p from the BR is set to SPID/IF RAW rather than PCM, with PCM you only get 2 channel with raw it will send what ever is present on the disk. However you may also come against HD audio etc that your amp might not handle. Mine only supports 5.1 Dolby Pro/DTS so I have no interest/money in upgrading beyond my new toy a Cylone HD media Player. (This plays everything from my pc shares and it is TINY!, Full HD and SPDIF o/p to the amp)
bevchris2519

Thanks Hairy Biker.  Sounds a bit techinical but I'll have a go.  Where do I check o/p from the BR is set to SPID/IF RAW?
Community Veteran

It will be in the Main setup page of the BR not the menu page of the DVD.
You should have something like Video - setup video resolutions, Audio setup Audio in there you need to set the SPD/IF (optical o/p) to RAW usually a drop down menu/menu selection.
bevchris2519

Thanks Hairy Biker - it worked!!  The Audio set up didn't have the same choices you mention, ie SPID/IF RAW or PCM - amongst the options were HDMI, which was the default, or Coaxiel/Optical so I chose this one and it worked.  Having tried the Sony and Pioneer helplines, neither of which told me about this, I was about to give up but it works great now.  Thanks again.
Community Veteran

Ok so what it was is that the audio was being sent to the TV rather than the amp, my Cyclone does that, but allows me to choose raw/pcm on each as well. It can be a pain to keep switching between them Tongue