cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on radiotos wanted

tgr
Grafter

Advice on radiotos wanted

I could do with a little more heat in my living room.  I do not want to go to the expense and inconvenience of installing a normal gas radiator ie piping etc.  I was thinking of putting something in  an oil filled radiator that i can just plug in.  I believe that these maybe more expensive to run than the normal radiators but the savings on employing a plumber and the cost of copper piping etc will probably offset this.  Can anyone give me some advice and guidance
19 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Advice on radiotos wanted

The cost of installation of an electric radiator will be zero and the running costs will be equal to using any electric heater.
The purchase costs will also be much lower than buying a new gas boiler.
If you already have central heating, the cost of an extra or replacement radiator will be hugely cheaper - in the long run.
My guess is that (depending on usage) you might break even over one winter - or even less.
Make sure that your Windows (and chimney if applicable) are draught-proofed.

geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil

Make sure that your Windows (and chimney if applicable) are draught-proofed.

How would one achieve this? Does it require the employment of a firewall?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

A bricked-up chimney makes an excellent firewall  Grin

Fixes: 47

Keeps the birds out also Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

I know this is a really saddo thing to do  Roll eyes Roll eyes Roll eyes
But,
I've got an open chimney with a gas flame "fire" at the bottom and open to the birds at the top.
The gas man disconnected this fire since they are now considered dangerous  Cry Cry Cry
The saddo thing I did was to:-
1. Take a black plastic bin liner.
Stuff it with scrunched-up pages of newspaper (lots of newspaper)
Seal it with parcel tape.
Stuff it up the chimney.

It does stop the draughts though - and you cannot see it because it is the same colour as the soot in the chimney.  Grin

pierre_pierre
Grafter

And its better than using an old GEE - Ser
You can get a blow up bag to put up the chimney, this will stop drafts, just looking for web site
Found it Chimney Baloon
geewizz
Grafter

I've got my chimney sweeping brush stuffed up the chimney when it isn't in use. It keeps the birds out of the chimney and it stops some of the draughts and rainfall without sealing the chimney completely. It has been like that all summer and I've been considering lighting the first fire of the year today because it's grey and miserable. However, the forecast for the next few days is for better weather here and I'm loathe to start winter rituals earlier than necessary, so for now the brush remains jammed up the lum.
Just incase anyone is confused, Windows with a capital W (other than when used at the start of a sentence) denotes a pronoun and therefore the name of Microsoft's proprietary operting system for PCs.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Honour GeeWizz, just came across this in another Forum
Well at least Roger was as i had to be offline for him clarting about with the electrics in his study etc!

what does clarting mean to us southerners?
geewizz
Grafter

mucking.
Clart is dirt or muck. The adjective is clarty, as in I would hump your daughter but she is such a clarty cow.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

one way of getting round the censor, confuse it
geewizz
Grafter

I don't know what part you think is getting "round the censor" but it didn't even cross my mind to try and avoid it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@tgr   
If you are over 60, you may qualify for government grants/help with extra heating...... checkout "warmfront"  We have just had Loft Insulation, and a brand new gas central heating boiler fitted.... latest thing radio controlled thermostat, all work guaranteed, etc....,, 1 days work, to change old boiler, and fit new, flush out and refill the system and power up to make sure it is all working o.k..... takes about 6weeks to 2 months from date of application to get job done.... .  total cost to us.... FREE ! 
If you do not qualify, you might consider one of these
http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/detail/?q=Dimplex+Fuel-Effect+%27Stove%27+Fire%2C+Rectory+REC20R&s=222508&...

They can be bought cheaper, but do not require any  "technical fitters" except yourself, to plug it into the mains.  I suggest you get one that is "thermostatically controlled"..... i.e. it will turn itself off/on as the room temperature is reached, according to your setting on the control....
Basically, they are a "posh" electric fan heater, but you can set it into your fireplace, and it glows as though burning logs..... If you want to, you can just have the logs lit up, and you will automatically feel warmer, saving ooooooodles of money !...
We have one in the lounge, and one in the conservatory, so that you do not need to heat the whole house, with the central heating, just the room you are occupying for any length of time...
Hope that helps
Community Veteran

You don't have to be over 60 to qualify for the Warmfront programme.
Check out the qualification requirements http://www.warmfront.co.uk/do-i-qualify.htm
[Edit] fixed link, thanks geewizz
geewizz
Grafter