cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on blocking marketing calls from abroad

randpwar
Grafter

Advice on blocking marketing calls from abroad

My parents are elderly and are receiving a lot (5 yesterday) of marketing calls. As they have been registered with the TPS for some time I asked for their advice and they are sending out a form for Dad to note the time, day and name of company ringing. The problem is that the caller always has a very strong Asian accent which my father cannot understand, hence he’s unable to get the company name; there is an irony here that these people are trying to sell something to my dad but he has no idea what and has no intention of buying anything from them anyway, as he can’t understand what he’s being told!
I’ve spoken to two advisors from BT the first of which just suggested we sign up for Call Blocking but was unable to explain how this system identified these calls, from any other genuine calls, and block them; he just kept saying ‘the system’ would work. I then spoke to another advisor who said that as my parents were already registered with the TPS that the calls they are receiving are very probably from abroad and therefore cannot be blocked. He doesn’t want to go through the pain of changing numbers or going ex-directory but I’m beginning to see little option
I (and my parents) would be very grateful for any advice
Rob
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Advice on blocking marketing calls from abroad

Have you had a look at http://www.truecall.co.uk/ ?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Wow - talk about building a better mousetrap and the world will build a path to your door!  Provided it works the truecall looks like an excellent device.
http://adblockplus.org/en/ ; is similarly useful on your Firefox Web Browser - it kills off unwanted advertising.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

At £100.00 is it worth it?
My advice regarding "unwanted calls" of the type the OP has experienced, is to say to the person calling.... "Just a moment, let me get a pencil and paper.........."
then put the phone down somewhere NEAR the phone.... but not back "on the hook"... so that the person is just left listening to ......... well nothing..  Lips are sealed
after a short while you will probably here the whining noise that BT have for a warning to replace the receiver... after a week of this, they will stop calling... as it is costing them money to sit there waiting for you to get your pencil and paper (cost of phone call is rachetting up all the waiting time).... and.... the company has to pay the person to sit there doing nothing..... and the person sitting there is not achieving anything except seeing his/her wages shrinking as the minutes pass with no sale at the end of it   Grin
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I say to the caller "Please hold, just putting you through now", and then press 'Internal' on the DECT handset. This leaves the caller listening to Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, wasting their time and money - and maybe giving the impression that they've called a switchboard.
Anyway, the number of such calls has dramatically reduced of late.  Smiley
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Also take a look at  www.ukdatait.co.uk
hmarshy
Grafter

My current home phone, which I bought in 2005, has assignable ring tones which means I can safely ignore any calls I do not recognise!  Smiley
Also I can ignore people I do know depending on my mood!! Grin
Community Veteran

An expensive gadget at £100.  I'm with Shutter on this one.  get the caller to waste time hanging on and running up a bill Wink
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Truecall is expensive but it is a one off cost. What is the cost of changing your phone number every time you become a victim of such calls.
I got mine for c £80 from John Lewis but that was a couple of years ago and they don't seem to stock them now.  I did see them on sale in Croydon's John Lewis for £50 earlier this year.
They are available for c £90 from various online retailers. (e.g. Ryman)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: alanf
Truecall is expensive but it is a one off cost.
. What is the cost of changing your phone number every time you become a victim of such calls.

There is absolutely no need to change the phone number  "every time " you become a victim of such calls..... nor ever.... all costs are borne by the caller and the callers company, if you follow the above outlined procedure....
Eventually they will know your number and not bother to call ....
Community Veteran

I guess it depends how upset/annoyed you are and how frequent the calls are whether such a device is useful. I can understand the "peace of mind" element.
I get a fair number of such calls, but have caller display and if it says "international" just don't answer it and let it go to the answerphone, at which point they usually hang up.
I reckon a genuine caller (we do know a few people abroad) will say who they are and I'll pick it up.
Fixes: 123

I still get quite a few calls from a 01282 number which I have learned not to bother answering. It's actually from my bank. They seem to make a call almost everytime I make some kind of change online.
But it's never some kind of security check rather they ask about my experience on their site. The first couple of times I just told them I'd let them know if I was unhappy. Never bothered to tell them not to call me as I doubt if they'd follow through.
I also get the occasional cold call with silence that, I gather, is now illegal but the number is unavailable so difficult to report. To be honest I just ignore them but I can understand how it may bother or even upset some poeple.
The worst I have come across so far is a company called GameMobile. I made the mistake of purchasing Scrabble for my HTC mobile. Their website is very misleading and I believed it compaitible with my phone - anyway, that's another story.
The problem is, I get txts from them at 2/3 in the morning. I haven't found anywhere on their website to cancel this or within the texts so have emailed them.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

apparently the police are giving advice to the elderly along the lines of 'don't talk to strangers.'  when a phone call comes in, they are told, don't speak until the caller does.  a genuine caller will say who it is.  as a way of establishing that your caller is kosher, it is a good idea.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I had the old 'we've detected one of your computers is affected by a virus' scam earlier this evening. I strung him along for a little while and then said 'I'd be very surprised if any of my computers had a Windows virus since none of them run Windows'
click, he hung up.  Grin
randpwar
Grafter

Many thanks for all the replies; I do genuinely appreciate the advice.
The truth is that he’s tried the tactics suggested by a few of you guys whereby the caller is ‘kept on hold’ and it hasn’t resulted in fewer calls; just an exasperated Dad!
He’s having a think about the Truecall though we have a feeling it may be a little complex for him, at least to start with. I agree it does appear expensive but, luckily, cost isn’t an issue for Dad especially if it means he doesn’t have to answer 4 or 5 of these calls every day like at present. The guy I spoke to at BT suggested that he says that he has no intention of ever buying from the caller and request that he be removed from the ‘call list’; he knows he has repeat calls as he recognises the voice. Might also try getting him a handset with caller's number; that way any with ‘no number’ or ‘international’ he can ignore.
He did get the ''we've detected one of your computers is affected by a virus' call, dear me, my Dad plus a computer.......beleive me the call didn't last long!
Again, thanks for your thoughts
Rob