cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on best streaming device

randpwar
Grafter

Advice on best streaming device

We don’t have a ‘clever telly’ so currently use a Wii to watch Netflix, iPlayer etc but that disappeared upstairs over the weekend as daughter had a friend for a sleepover and I’m assuming is not going to return.
I’m looking for advice please on streaming boxes. The main requirements are good picture quality; we have FTTC so broadband width isn’t an issue and are looking for 108p as the TV is HD and it has several HDMI ports, ease of use and setup and, of course, cost
I would greatly appreciate all advice
Rob
19 REPLIES
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Advice on best streaming device

Depending on what type of system you want, this looks like an interesting choice.
Razer
Grafter

I don't quite understand these things. I've read about them and they're seemingly lauded as something marvellous. What is never made clear in anything I've read is: Do these types of devices require an internet connect? That is, are they for streaming TV from your internet connection; that this "Smart TV" thing is nothing to do with digital broadcasting and that such TV can only be streamed via your internet connection?
randpwar
Grafter

My understanding isn't too clear either but yes they will use the home wifi and be capable of streaming Netflix and iPlayer etc probably via apps in its system
Razer
Grafter

Oh well, not so marvellous after all. I wouldn't mind a streaming device for those times when I'm just watching game playthroughs on youtube so I don't have to have my computer running, but if it's still going to eat into my BB allowance it's not much good to me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

They're basically an Android based system but use the TV as a display via HDMI. They include wifi to allow connection to your router for access to the Internet. There are obviously apps for typical Smart TV things like Iplayer, Netfix etc but the advantage over a SMart TV is that there are loads of other apps you could use, so you are not limited to what what facilities the TV manufacturer provides. 
Razer
Grafter

Yeah, I can see the benefit in that regard for those whose TV's don't play other media. Mine does, I just plug my external HDD into it to watch my own encoded videos (or others), it only lacks something like Youtube which I would like - just not at the expense of my data allowance. Grin
randpwar
Grafter

Data allowance isn't an issue as we get 250gb and, despite son and daughter's best efforts on X-Box and Netflix  respectively, only use about half each month.
Not really intersted in anything other than Netflix or iPlayer (maybe Youtube). I understand some of these devices can have games like Angry Birds preinstalled but we're really only looking for streaming. 
Razer
Grafter

Wish I had that kind of data allowance. Stuck on 60GB for the time being, which is normally enough - it's just when having periods of watching gameplay on youtube, it soon gets used up, as it has been lately.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

understand some of these devices can have games like Angry Birds preinstalled but we're really only looking for streaming. 
Yes, there are lots of games available for Android devices. What about something like Skype ? with a suitable camera/mic ( the devices have a USB port ) you could probably use it for video calling.
Wish I had that kind of data allowance. Stuck on 60GB for the time being,
Why not look at upgrading to Unlimited ? I assume you're on Extra, Unlimited could actually be slightly cheaper at £9.99 if you're in a Market 2 or 3 area and willing to commit to a 12 month contract
randpwar
Grafter

We do indeed use Skype on the pc for video calling. The TV by itself cannot connect to the internet so we're looking for advice on the range of devices that connect to the home wifi and the tv in order to stream Netflix etc through the tv
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

If  iPlayer and netflix are your main interests then i'd look at Roku.
They're easy to setup and use and are brilliant frankly. There's no official YouTube 'channel' anymore, but there are other ways to access it.
They do an LT which is only 720p and WiFi only and can be had for £40.
Or the XS which is 1080p adds Ethernet and USB  ( though file support is poor) and micro SD, has games like angry birds and an RF remote that is way better than IR one of the LT, which I find is very directional, though I tend to mostly use the Android Roku app to be fair, for around £80

The UI is also due a refresh at the end of the month, and a new model (Roku 3) is due to launch in the UK at some point (already launched in US and available on Amazon.com for those that can't wait for a UK launch) which has a much snappier processor etc.
nadger
Rising Star

I've used Roku LT since before Christmas  Smiley
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
Why not look at upgrading to Unlimited ? I assume you're on Extra, Unlimited could actually be slightly cheaper at £9.99 if you're in a Market 2 or 3 area and willing to commit to a 12 month contract

Yes, I'm on Extra, but I'm on a half-price offer which I would apparently lose if I switched to Unlimited. Shame, as ordinarily I would switch.
jmd
Grafter

I bought a new DVD player [samsung] that is SMART so could get either Netflix or Lovefilm [have  not decided which would be better yet] and it will also stream other things, as well as playing bluray/dvds!