Did you mean: 

Advice for a new laptop

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Advice for a new laptop

Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a Acer ES1-311 from Tesco
I want a lightweight laptop that has a 13" screen - why? 15" laptops are heavier and less portable.
My budget is £350 - do you think the Acer ES1-311 is a good choice.
It will be protected against Tesco's 14 day return as well as the usual faulty returns and manufacturer's guarantee.
Thanks
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
11 REPLIES
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Re: Advice for a new laptop

Also thought about this one - Acer V3-371
Although it's over my price range by £80
Thanks.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Is it because of Tesco Clubcard points you're keen to buy from them?
I usually find Staples are surprisingly competitive with this kind of product, they always seem to have a lot of Acer's on display.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Personally i wouldn't buy from Tesco, they're a pain in the grass when electricals go wrong although with enough sheer determination i've always come away from the spat being the winner (hard graft though). As for the laptop itself, it's a celeron processor which usually means they have a lower amount of L2 cache (iirc) meaning its not quite as quick to get data in and out on the databus to the memory / hard drive etc. Granted the specs are probably better than those of a mobile processor but if you're looking to play games etc i'd steer clear. If you just want it for office, internet, and the usual light weight use it'll be fine but again i personally don't like Tesco a great deal for electricals though they're better than PC world prices admittedly!
Hard to recommend any other high street stores really as there aren't really many left.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Yes for the clubcard points  Wink
Staples are not selling the ES1-311 but I'd prefer to buy the V3 from John Lewis due to returning (even if opened) if I don't like it.
NE
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

We've ordered a laptop before from Tesco and it refused to start up.
Took it back the next day and swapped it.
Community Veteran

have a look here. Good prices and good selection.
Misco
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I might buy the Acer V3 - but will mean waiting a few months until I get enough money.
The difference is the weight and processor.
The main use of this laptop will be general web browsing, typing up documents and presentations.
Maybe a game or two but not demanding games.
The wife has a MacBook air and it's really nice and easy to use. So I might save up and purchase a MacBook.
Thanks for your input.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I'm going to purchase the ES1-311 today. After seeing it physically yesterday in store it looked really nice and incredibly light.
It suits my needs of just word processing and browsing the Internet.
I can always return it if I find that it doesn't suit me well.
NE
Mayfly
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I bought 2 PCs and a tablet vis Misco last year because Misco was one of the few places still selling W7 - the tablet was 3 days before Christmas.
I said standard delivery rather than next day would be fine as it wasn't a Christmas present but it was here by 9.30 the following morning. I can't fault MIsco.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Bought the laptop a few hours ago.
Uninstalled most of the pre-installed tat such as Spotify, Acer Media etc...
Saved 5GB! Speed is faster.  Wonder if the pre-installed stuff is all a con into getting a better laptop?  Huh
Thanks
NE
Community Veteran

Hope you enjoy it. Let us know what you think once you've got used to it Smiley